WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: sleeping bags

Default sleeping bags

I have been using a WM Caribou bag and love it. Only problem, if its over 40 it cooks me. I am looking for a 40-50 bag or another option (down quilt, ect.) that would weight in around 1lb. What are my options?

Marmot Pounder, synthetic weighs in a 1lb 5oz, I've got one and really like it. I think they are around $125.00 or so. 40 degree rating

Detour

Quote Originally Posted by cknight View Post
    I have been using a WM Caribou bag and love it. Only problem, if its over 40 it cooks me. I am looking for a 40-50 bag or another option (down quilt, ect.) that would weight in around 1lb. What are my options?
    Does the Caribou have a full zip?

I find a 30° bag with a full zip works in warm weather. Just unzip it and use it as a quilt, get all the ventilation you want.

For the AT I don't know if I would want to play with anything much lighter than a 35. I might if I knew I could swap out easily. You may have some nights were the 35° rating comes in handy even in summer. A Montbell SS #4 is around 1.3 pounds and is rated at 35°. I believe, unless they changed it, has a full zip for good ventilation on warm nights.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Have you looked at Jack's R Better quilts? or a Reactor Liner?
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Default montbell

Montbell's thermal sheet has a rating of 50 degrees, 13.8oz., $190

Images

golite's has a nice +20 quilt that works for me in all but winter
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby99 View Post
    Montbell's thermal sheet has a rating of 50 degrees, 13.8oz., $190
    I have the non-spiral older model - 16 oz. It's fine for me (a warm sleeper) down to 45 degrees wrapped around my hammock.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by cknight View Post
    For +40/+50 at a 1lb or less look at quilts: Nunatak Ark Edge (11oz) or the Arc AT (8oz).

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/mai...ep_systems.htm

Thanks for the advise. I have a cotton fitted sheet theat fits over my pad so I want stick to it. Unless its below 40, I usually unzip my bag and just lay under it. Quilts might do the trick.

Images

http://www.rei.com/product/798906

Cheap, light, and a darn good summer bag the size of a nalgene.
    -milkman

got soul?

(Has already been suggested, but.....)

Montbell UL Super Spiral # 5. Rated at 40* and weighs in at a pound even. It is made with 6 oz of 800 down fill. $229 I would say that this would be what you are looking for. (The new Super Spirals, not the older spirals. Also, those specs are for the size regular which now fits up to 6'.)

Saying all this, just curious, how low can you take the Caribou?

I would say I am an average sleeper, but I am about to buy a WM Antelope with the extra 3 oz of down fill. It's rated at 5*. For my warmer weather bag I will be getting the Mont-bell UL Spiral down hugger # 3. (The old spiral, not the new.)

I currently have a low end North Face bag. I have gotten to where I use it like a quilt and I enjoy it a lot this way. However, now is the time to upgrade, and I will soon be getting the WM!!

:banana 3 bags

since im leAVING IN LATE JUNE i may experience a wide range of temps lows at night may be 75 in late july to zero in northern georgia or tennesee in december so bought 3 bags all on e-bay with stuff sac for big one for total of 100$ my 40degree bag weighs 1.5lbsfor june -august,a 20degree weighs 2.5lbs for sept-oct,and zero degree coleman max wich is very nice and cozy but weighs 6lbs requires alot of time to pack down for nov-dec will have last 2 mailed too me in large boxes with next size smaller pants and shorts il probly need too

STICK...the Caribou is true to it's rating IF you are an average sleeper. I tend to be a cold sleeper and find the high 30's about the limit for me with this bag. I use a Prolite 3 and very lightweight long underware top and bottoms to give you an idea.

++ New Posts ++