Images

Default What if I were to start the PCT in mid May

Just out of curiousity... If I decide to ditch my job and put off college.... and go hiking... I would be able to tsrat mid May. How far up the trail would be an ideal starting point? I'm not too keen on the idea of flip floppin but I might just die in the desert that late in the season. I got itchy feet like crazy!

Garlic
    Images

Yea, that might a little warm to start a thru, and you'll be pushing the envelope at the north end. By mid-May, the "pack" will probably be near Agua Dulce, a good place to join up, with good access from L.A.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Yea, that might a little warm to start a thru, and you'll be pushing the envelope at the north end. By mid-May, the "pack" will probably be near Agua Dulce, a good place to join up, with good access from L.A.
    That would be a nice starting point at that time. And if you get to Canada w/ time to spare and have become more keen on hiking in the mountains than ideas.... you can do the southern end in the fall!

Images

unless you run the trail you'll be getting a nice shower every day in the washington area

Every year, there are always some people starting mid-may and a few even latter and they do finish a complete NOBO hike.

Starting latter means that you need to start the trail in better physical condition rather then saying I'll get in shape on the trail. Make sure you have a backpack that can carry extra water and you should be good to go. Just be aware that you will see less hikers then starting earlier.

Last year we had a wedding to attend on May 9, so we couldn't start until after that. We decided to start in Big Bear, 265 miles up the trail. It is accessible by public transportation (Metro train to San Bernardino, then bus to Big Bear) and the first couple of sections are pretty well watered. That meant we could start with 15 mile days and work up to bigger miles. We were in the middle of the herd, but it wasn't a problem. We would have reached the Sierras a little early but ended up forced to bail out of Walker Pass thanks to a serious knee injury. If you start at Big Bear on May 15, you'll be just behind the pack of hikers and can catch up if you choose or enjoy a little more solitude if you don't.

Agua Dulce might be a better place to start since a big hunk of Section D is closed. If you could get yourself to Agua Dulce you might be able to get a ride to Soledad Canyon and hike through the Vasquez Rocks for your first day of hiking, which you would enjoy immensely.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Considering the snow is higher this year, starting in Aqua Dulce in mid May seems not wise unless people dont mind hiking on snow in the High Sierra. Last year I left Aqua Dulce on June 11th and had no issues finishing. So I don't think they should be in this much of a hurry and start that far north. With the snow levels this year, even Big Bear might be a bit far north to start. I still think anywhere betwen the Mexican Border and Big Bear would be a doable start for a NOBO in mid May.

If you are young and in shape (ie college age) you should be able to start from the border in mid may and still have plenty of time to finish. In '08 I started May 2 and took a ton of zeroes (more than 20) and still finished by Sept 22. Unless you really want to be part of a big social scene from the start, don't worry about where the pack is when you start. If you do consistent miles from the beginning you'll catch up with the stragglers in no time... and they're often the most fun to hike with (parties in town?). Just turn on the jets in Northern Cali and Oregon, and you wouldn't have any trouble finishing in time.

++ New Posts ++