WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Night Hiking

Journal Entries

Default Night Hiking

Hey guys;
    Anyone do much night hiking?
    I haven't done much; only to reach a shelter or tentsite after the fall of dark.
    I would like to try an all-night hike, after sleeping most of the day. Maybe on the AT in Vermont or NH.

Anyone have any suggestions, cautions, advice?

Thanks

Arden

Images

a good headlight and some nerve. if you havent done it before and you're doing it alone you may feel a little on edge sometimes, but after about an hour you will quickly overcome it. personally there is nothing like getting to the top of a mountain by yourself at night on a crystal clear night, simply amazing.

Images

Picking a nice full moon is best, usually don't need a headlamp most of the time.

Though not usually on a typical thru-hike, a winter night hike is great, especially if the ground is snow covered and a full moon - one of my favorite times to hike. Absolutely beautiful. Plus you get to hike and stay warm during the coldest time of the day.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

As with Lyle, I love full moon hikes...I love full moon skis even more.

Magical!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

I've got a good Petzl lamp that uses a Halogen bulb and comes with a spare.
    I'm not particularly afraid of the dark. Sounds really exciting with the moon and clear sky. Maybe catch one of the meteor showers!
    Guess I should make some noise in case the bears are out hunting for food that wasn't properly hung

Would stepping on snakes be a problem at night?

Arden

Depending where you are they can be great...especially when you have a full moon where you don't have to use a headlamp. However one would be amazed how active the forest is at night. I had a fellow hiker quit night hiking on the AT because they kept kicking up to many Copperheads on the trail at night. I myself have been followed by bears in Northern Michigan. Lots of Raccoons and tons of odd noises.

I hiked almost 250 miles at night during my 1990 thru and it was great. You miss the occassional "great view" but you also get some that you would never get in the daytime. Your petzel will be great for that, a little heavy but it will cover a good size of the trail ahead and you can zoom to spot wildlife. use the single large battery instead of the AA's, it will last much longer and you can extend battery life at the expense of illumination by returning to the regular bulb.
    I stopped night hiking on that thru after late June / early July until I reached Mass.- Started seeing way too many snakes on the trail for my comfort. Before June and north of Mass. it was fine.

geek

Journal Entries

Thanks guys;
    I was wondering about snakes. It might be hard to spot them at night, unless they are rattlers<g>.
    I once had an encounter with a rattler. It let me know that I was getting too close!

Arden

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    Depending where you are they can be great...especially when you have a full moon where you don't have to use a headlamp. However one would be amazed how active the forest is at night. I had a fellow hiker quit night hiking on the AT because they kept kicking up to many Copperheads on the trail at night. I myself have been followed by bears in Northern Michigan. Lots of Raccoons and tons of odd noises.
    Followed by bears? Sounds creepy. What do you do in situations like that?

Arden

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've been doing some night hiking and love it. It's an acquired thing - like when you first start hiking you have to really look for the blazes - after a while finding them becomes second nature.

I'd recommend learning to night hike by starting around 4:00 AM and hiking in the pre-dawn dark hours. That way, if you get confused you can just sit down and wait because it won't be too long before it's light. If you get turned around at 11:00 PM, you'll be sitting in one place all night...

Stir Fry

I tend to be up around 4 am so I usualy start in the dark. I have never had a problem, the trail is like a beakon every thing else is dark and it just stands out. On a good day I have 10 Miles under my belt by lunch. I normaly only plan 12 14 miles a day so I'm in camp early. On a section hike these seems to work for me as everything is planed out. When I do my thru in 2014 I hope this leads to good milage days. I see a lot of hikers that do not start untill later 10 or 11 am. and tthen hike like mad to get to camp before dark. Thatys there hike but I'm more relaxed my way. Try both and see what works.

I was wondering about snakes. It might be hard to spot them at night, unless they are rattlers<g>.
    I once had an encounter with a rattler. It let me know that I was getting too close!
    I've had one encounter with one which didn't rattle. Snakes in the trail are mainly a problem in spring and fall - and as one goes north. In sections, the trail is somewhat in the open and usually has rocks. On cool nights when the day was sunny, the rocks in the middle of the trail are going to be a place a cold-blooded reptile can find a place to warm its blood...

In the heat of summer, the rattlesnakes hunt mainly at night.
    I heard of someone who tried night hiking in the heat of summer and gave it up because of all the snakes out in the night. I'd expect this to be true anywhere south of Pennsylvania once it gets warm enough.

As for the LED headlamp for night hiking, if yours tend to give off a bluish light, blue blazes will appear absolutely WHITE. Beware. I know this, because in Georgia, walking at night, I took the trail to the left which was blazed blue. I discovered my error after about 45 minutes of walking, "Hey, this doesn't look like the AT" I said to myself. NO kidding, they look absolutely bone-white.

I love to night hike and agree with Lyle- pick a full moon night. I am always amazed at the eerie figures the shadows cast and how your mind plays tricks on interpreting the shapes.

Easy to see how folklore evolved............

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin again View Post
    I heard of someone who tried night hiking in the heat of summer and gave it up because of all the snakes out in the night. I'd expect this to be true anywhere south of Pennsylvania once it gets warm enough.
    Good point, and they use heat-seeking pits to locate prey. Most strikes are defensive, but I wouldn't want one of them to make a selection error...

Images

When I lived in Banner Elk NC in the 70's, we would be out hiking and we could often smell the rattlesnakes before we saw them as they had a very musty smell.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I've been doing some night hiking and love it. It's an acquired thing - like when you first start hiking you have to really look for the blazes - after a while finding them becomes second nature.

I'd recommend learning to night hike by starting around 4:00 AM and hiking in the pre-dawn dark hours. That way, if you get confused you can just sit down and wait because it won't be too long before it's light. If you get turned around at 11:00 PM, you'll be sitting in one place all night...
    That sounds cool. I enjoy the early AM when I'm lying there in my tent. I think I could get to enjoy starting a hike around that time

Arden

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin again View Post

As for the LED headlamp for night hiking, if yours tend to give off a bluish light, blue blazes will appear absolutely WHITE. Beware. I know this, because in Georgia, walking at night, I took the trail to the left which was blazed blue. I discovered my error after about 45 minutes of walking, "Hey, this doesn't look like the AT" I said to myself. NO kidding, they look absolutely bone-white.
    I've got the "old fashioned" Petzl lamp. It uses either a halogen or standard bulb. I use the LED flashlights in camp though; especially for reading and writing at night. They're great for battery life, but the ones I have aren't too good for use on the trail. I know LED's have improved drastically over the past few years though.

I'll try to remember what you said about the blue blazes and the LED lights if and when I finally buy one.

Arden

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    I would like to try an all-night hike, after sleeping most of the day.
    Its not going to be easy to sleep most of the day, even for a sleepy head.

good luck

Panzer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++