WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where to take an S-O? New England area.

My girlfriend is not really a camper or a hiker, but it's an important part of my life that I want to get her into. My thought was an in-and-out, 3-4 mile low difficulty, high reward trip. I figure 3-4 miles (one way) to a campsite with a nice view and the possibility of a camp fire to make the evening feel less lonely. I'd lend her my old external frame pack with just enough stuff that she's actually carrying something, but then take most everything else myself, including some very generous amenities to make her first trip as comfortable and agreeable as possible. If all goes well with the first trip, dialing down ameneties and dialing up physical difficulty gradually is my plan in her case. Unfortunately, a first impression for her is usually how she makes her decision on a subject, so I REALLY want it to go well.

To summarize:

Her physical aspects that may be relevant to this trip: 5'4'', ideal BMI but not very strong. Has asthma and hypoglycemia, both of which are manageable.

Minimum Parameters: 3-4 miles to a campsite, low difficulty terrain-wise. Either a loop or an in-out of some kind, as we will only take one car. Must be in the New England area (I'm in Laconia).

Bonuses: Camp fire friendly with a pit or ring of some sort. Good payoff in the form of a view or a waterfall etc. While I've made many a cold camp, I think that we can all agree that a fire makes you feel much more comfortable and at ease. I'm hoping this is the case with her.

I suppose our home state of NH is virtually out of the question as pretty much the whole state has a ban on trail-side fires and there are virtually no fire rings. I thought ME, VT, or MA may be good options, especially ME, due to the level terrain that can be found in some areas.

Thank you all in advance for any help and information that can be provided.

1. When are you going?
    2. Do you want solitude, or do you prefer to camp in a popular area?
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    1. When are you going?
    2. Do you want solitude, or do you prefer to camp in a popular area?
    Not exactly sure on when we'd be going. It has to work on both of our schedules. I know that this month and next month are out since I can't ask for more than one weekend off a month and I already have trips planned for this month and next. So I guess Jun/July.

I think that solitude is preferred, but I can't imagine too many trails are that short, easy and provide a good payoff that wouldn't be pretty popular.

Easy hike, good view and camp fire ring is a rare combination.

One place which does come to mind is Taft lodge in Vermont on Mt Mansfield. Fairly easy hike up from Smugglers Notch. No fires though and kind of a scarry climb in places to get up to the chin from there, but great veiws. It is also a pretty popular place, but it might not be a bad idea to have a bunch of other hikers around for the GF to talk to and interact with.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

If she has asthma, you might need to avoid anything that would trigger it. If pollen triggers her asthma pick a time when that pollen is not high. Check pollution forecasts and avoid going on a high air pollution day.

A smoky campfire would trigger my asthma, but maybe her's is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    If she has asthma, you might need to avoid anything that would trigger it. If pollen triggers her asthma pick a time when that pollen is not high. Check pollution forecasts and avoid going on a high air pollution day.

A smoky campfire would trigger my asthma, but maybe her's is different.
    When we visit my parent's house we often have fires in the back yard. She doesn't seem all that bothered. I'm hoping environmental irritants can be kept at bay with some allergy meds.

If you're willing to go south a little, DWG into Jersey to Sunfish pond is a great trip. I took my non-hiker wife (girlfriend at the time) there and she enjoyed it a lot.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    If you're willing to go south a little, DWG into Jersey to Sunfish pond is a great trip. I took my non-hiker wife (girlfriend at the time) there and she enjoyed it a lot.
    That's quite a drive for an overnighter, but thanks for the suggestion.

Images

How about one of the AMC huts for her first trip.
    That way she gets to hike but still has some amenities at the end of the day. Then make the second trip one where you use a tent, but near a shelter or hut. Then the third or later trips can be a campsite along a trail. That way she gets used to hiking and camping a little at a time instead of jumping in with both feet on the first trip.
    Just my 2 cents.

AMC huts get my vote. For about the next month the huts are still on self service so they are still affordable. You don't get a campfire, but having a full kitchen that you don't have to pack means you can eat very well.

AMC shelters, perhaps. But not huts. While I would like to make the experience as friendly for her as possible, I also don't want to sully my own. They say it's all about the journey, but I like to enjoy my destination too and one of the big reasons I hike is to escape the walled-in feeling and sleep in the open.

Some ideas:

If you did a NH Hut, do Zealand falls! easy in and easy out. and its fun to hike on the falls.

VT: Stratton Pond: take the 4.2 mile stratton pond trail. Great spot, swimming and campfires allowed! the stratton pond trail goes around the peak and has little elevation change.

MA: Goose Pond Cabin: two ways in either north or south on the AT if you head up from RT. 20 it is a steep but short climb in. if you head the other way is is level. Great Swiming! and they have a big fire ring.

MA: Tom Leonard Shelter on the AT. EASY in from the nearest road crossing. Fun shelters, GREAT tent spot (get there early) and it allows fires. plus its fun to climb around in ice gulch.

I can come up with more - but need to be home to review my photo albums for trail "sights" heh, but those are my first thoughts
    ~Christy

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    AMC shelters, perhaps. But not huts. While I would like to make the experience as friendly for her as possible, I also don't want to sully my own. They say it's all about the journey, but I like to enjoy my destination too and one of the big reasons I hike is to escape the walled-in feeling and sleep in the open.
    I was going to say AMC hut also. This trip is to get *her* outdoors, not for your benefit. Baby steps...first trip a hut, next trip a shelter, next trip a tent by a scenic location. Suck it up this time and hopefully you'll get the benefits down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by wystiria View Post
    Some ideas:

MA: Goose Pond Cabin: two ways in either north or south on the AT if you head up from RT. 20 it is a steep but short climb in. if you head the other way is is level. Great Swiming! and they have a big fire ring.
    Goose Pond is great, they have nice platforms out behind the cabin, and you get a pancake breakfast in the am (dont forget some cash for a donation).
    Adventure is the invitation to the common person, to become uncommon. ~ wm
    Bivouac is a French word for "mistake". ~ Ed Viesturs

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

in maine there are tons of primitive campsites you can drive to, have a fire, views, then go for a day hike. get a maine delorme and look around flagstaff lake in the stratton area. then go up cranberry peak for a day hike.
    http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=45.19776,-70.29739&z=12&t=T

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I did similar thinking when trying to convince my wife to get outdoors with me a little bit. She loves New England, as I do, but isn't really into working very hard to get there or roughing it once she does get there.

I'll second the easy access and environs of Zealand Hut or perhaps Lonesome Lake if the weather is nice.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    If you go to Lonesome Lake you have a good chance of a private room so you can just leave the door open to the outside. You could open the windows too.

Two that just scream out as good potential are Mt Chocoria and camp at penacock, (fire ring and shelter) and Arethusa Falls loop and camp at Dry river if you want a fire ring or camp at the west end of the Frankensten cliff trail if you want to be alone with out the fire. Might need to wait a few weeks for all the snow to be gone but both hikes have some great views and can be made into nice loops of all diffrent types of distances.
    RDL

Quote Originally Posted by wystiria View Post
    Some ideas:

If you did a NH Hut, do Zealand falls! easy in and easy out. and its fun to hike on the falls.

VT: Stratton Pond: take the 4.2 mile stratton pond trail. Great spot, swimming and campfires allowed! the stratton pond trail goes around the peak and has little elevation change.

MA: Tom Leonard Shelter on the AT. EASY in from the nearest road crossing. Fun shelters, GREAT tent spot (get there early) and it allows fires. plus its fun to climb around in ice gulch.

I can come up with more - but need to be home to review my photo albums for trail "sights" heh, but those are my first thoughts
    I second Stratton Pond. Easy hike in, setup camp then climb Stratton with just 1 pack for snacks and water. The fire tower has excellent 360 views in good weather. Camp at the tentsite. No fires allowed at the shelter.

Another option is Race Brook Falls Trail at the southern end of the AT in MA. Less than 2 miles to the campsite, enjoy a 75 foot waterfall on the way in, then setup camp, and hike up Race Mtn with some views west and 1/4 mile ridge walk with unlimited views east. Just did this area last weekend for the 4th time in recent years!

Little rock pond- southern vermont.

about the flattest 1.5 miles in you'll ever hike in vermont.

Beautiful pond, tent platforms, two shelters are nearby. on the at.

next year there will be a large new shelter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++