WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    My mother in law is 76 and still sleeps on a bare tile floor.
    You can get used to anything.
    Leave the luxury items at home.
    Damn, and I was drinking coffee when I read that.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

I would go which ever way makes you happy. If you are going for a long distance, then take the heavier one and send it home if you find you don't need all that. Or go the other way and have someone ready to send it out to you if you find out you need it. Option 1 is probably the easier way to do it, option 2 is the heavier way to start.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I'd opt for the lighter one. If you can't sleep on it, it's a sign that you just need to hike more miles before going to bed

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The Neoair is a neat concept, but most reports say it's not so good in cold weather. YMMV. I've been happy with my Prolite 4 in all seasons, from single digits to nights in the 70s.
    Most anyone who upgrades to the Neoair still has a functioning more insulated Pad for winter I know I have the prolite 4 myself - which I get by with in the winter (has a +2 R value over the Neoair)

but my neoair is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much more comfy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and a whole lot less weight.

*** to answer the original post, I would upgrade the pad, if I really couldn't afford that personally I would carry the extra weight....I think.
    ~Christy

Don't sell it:use it to stretch out a bit and have a nap at a Rest Stop on the way to the trail.

I am looking to purchase a Gossamer Gear ccf pad, because it is lightweight, packs well, and people say they like it. I want to compare it to my old blue ccf pad. I am 62.

I have a never used Exped Down Mat 7 short mat I just purchased for more serious cold weather and comfort.

I say, have more than one sleeping pad. I have four, including the ThermaRest short and the NeoAir short.

Many people like the Ridgerest. Many people swear by Cascade Designs ThermaRest.

Do carry the one that packs well and isn't overkill for the campsites you can expect.

By the way, "forest duff" with a bivy or a groundsheet makes a comfortable bed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++