WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any good soups?

Default Any good soups?

I have found that for dinner on the trail, soup works better for me than a heavier pasta/rice type in the bag dinner. Can anyone recommend some good instant in the pouch or pot soups. I have eaten Mary Jane potato soup and will try out the tomato but any other?

Images

Check out 'Bear Creek' soups. They are sold in most super markets.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Just can't beat "Ramen" Creamy Chicken is to die for
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    the 'darn good chili' is darn good

http://www.sbamerica.com/BearCreek/b...oduct_line.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    I use Bear Creek soups at home. Love the potato but that's alot of soup in a packet? Have you used it in camp? Do you divide it up smaller and how much water?

Images

I too like a good soup for dinner especially after hiking in the rain all day. I typically carry bullion cubes or packs and use harmony house beans and veggies. I add bacon, summer sausage, or chicken to them. I nice piece of bread or a bagel completes the meal.

I find carrying different ingredients and mixing them on the trail yields greater variety and spontaneity than prepackaged soups.

Using grits as a soup ingredient works well too. Freeze dried shrimp, a little cheese, bacon, and southern seasoning is good in them (shrimp and grits ftw!). Grits, bacon, and onion is tasty as well as a breakfast soup on a cold morning.

Mashed potatoes flakes work pretty good when making potato soup.
    it is strange that a man would put the pieces together as they please opposed to being content with where the pieces fall

The Bear Creek and similar soups do need some cooking, and thus a proper stove. Well worth it to me. If you can find the Alessi Italian soups they are delicious,
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I like the Green Chile Cheese Soup from Desert Gardens and a few of their other products.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Cables View Post
    I use Bear Creek soups at home. Love the potato but that's alot of soup in a packet? Have you used it in camp? Do you divide it up smaller and how much water?
    Yes, I use it in camp. I divide the packet in half... and use half as much water.

planning a Thru-Hike cindellasaurus's Avatar
    Images

This looks wondaaaful!
    : ]

Images

I bought some Bear Creek Minestrone soup the other day at the grocery store to try it out.

It is pretty easy to divide into smaller portions, either by half or quarter. If you are one that likes smaller portions try quartering so as to cook it with 2 cups of water.

I cooked it halved with 4 cups of warter on my Snow Peak Giga and an 44oz Imusa mug. The directions say to bring water to a boil and add the mix and simmer about 10-15 minutes. What I found is that its actually closer to 20 minutes of actual cooking. The soup was really tasty and filling, however I think that the nearly 20 minutes of cooking time might be too long for those who are conservitive with their fuel use.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Use a cozy and/or freezer bag cook and cut that time in half
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Agreed. I like the Bear Creek "Cheese & Potato" soup. But I fix it by guesswork. Just throw some of the mix in a ziplock. Then in camp, spoon a few spoons full into a pot of boiling water and let sit for 15 minutes. No need to cook it for 15 minutes per instructions. Sitting does just fine,... and it's cooling down so you can eat it too, at the same time. Somehow, I love it with cashew nuts (not mixed together). Eat a spoon or two of soup. Then a cashew or two. A good mix of crunch and creamy.

I used to love the Lipton's Cup-of-Soup in tomato, but can no longer find it. Was great for breakfast on a cool morning, or dinner.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

I have wild leek and potato soup in dehydrator now. I love soup on those chilly damp days on the trail
    Please remember the brave men and women of our armed services Without them we would not have the freedom to walk across this great nation.

I enjoy Nile Spice Split Pea and the CousCous variety ($1.39 each @ Marsh; available on-line for less) mixed with instant potato flakes, some kind of cheese (even dried parmesan, like Kraft) and powdered milk; the combination creates a savory, extremely nutritious meal WELL BELOW the cost of many other "ready made" products.

bear creek tortilla soup is my absolute favorite. i like to let it sit and it can get to a real thick almost-gravy consistency. there's lots of "stuff" in it so it's a nice hot hearty dinner after a long hike. really hits the spot.

Images

ummm none of the stores in my neck of the woods carry this bear creek stuff... i dont have a dehydrator and the only soups out here are those lipton chicken noodle... and while those are good on a chilly day, they got old quick for me.. any one have any other suggestions...

Images

Srestrepo, follow the link that was posted by Tin Man in post #4 and you can order the Brear Creek brand soups on line.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I bought some Bear Creek Minestrone soup the other day at the grocery store to try it out.

It is pretty easy to divide into smaller portions, either by half or quarter. If you are one that likes smaller portions try quartering so as to cook it with 2 cups of water.

I cooked it halved with 4 cups of warter on my Snow Peak Giga and an 44oz Imusa mug. The directions say to bring water to a boil and add the mix and simmer about 10-15 minutes. What I found is that its actually closer to 20 minutes of actual cooking. The soup was really tasty and filling, however I think that the nearly 20 minutes of cooking time might be too long for those who are conservitive with their fuel use.
    agree with nuglet...no need to cook...just cozy

Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    ummm none of the stores in my neck of the woods carry this bear creek stuff... i dont have a dehydrator and the only soups out here are those lipton chicken noodle... and while those are good on a chilly day, they got old quick for me.. any one have any other suggestions...
    ok where the heck is chicopee?? bc we got all kinds of it here in the boston surround.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++