WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Sealskinz & trail runners?

Thinking about the mud situation in NE and I'm kinda worried about what that's going to be like wearing trail runners.

Would a pair of sealskinz socks be a worthwhile investment?

I've never even seen them - how do they compare comfort-wise to wool?

I didn't like the pair I had, they were kind of bulky, didn't fit well. I ended up buying a pair of gore tex socks.

They may have altered the sealskinz cut though since I bought mine, they look improved on the REI site, but still go by S-XL vs. shoe sizes with the Rocky Gore tex socks.

The gore tex ones are expensive though.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I didn't like the pair I had, they were kind of bulky, didn't fit well. I ended up buying a pair of gore tex socks.

They may have altered the sealskinz cut though since I bought mine, they look improved on the REI site, but still go by S-XL vs. shoe sizes with the Rocky Gore tex socks.

The gore tex ones are expensive though.
    Woohoo! A $60 pair of socks, nice!

Are they really worth it?

Do you wear liners under them?

I don't. My feet sweat and I end up with blisters. I don't use liners anymore at all when hiking, I found it was a contributing factor to my blister problem. (I bring a pair in winter though as a base sock layer.)

The Sealskinz I bought looked like this, so there is more than one kind. I bought these cheaper ones.

This place has the gore tex socks for $40. I could not find them at that price when I needed them. I know $60 was ridiculous. I closed my eyes, thought about my dividend, and pushed purchase.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Save your money and buy spend it on some good socks instead.

I bought a pair early on in my thru-hike but ditched them after a couple weeks. My two top dislikes were they caused my feet to "prune" up worst than ever and take forever to dry once wet. Remember, what keeps water out also keeps water in!

I have them for early spring and late fall cold rains. I don't bring them when it's warmer. Some folks use them in the winter as well with trail runners. They are like rain gear in that you will work up a sweat but the cold water is not running over your skin.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

I was thinking about the mud.... in May and June..

Bad idea? Just go with muddy socks and rinse them out every now and then?

Shortie gaiters maybe.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Woohoo! A $60 pair of socks, nice!

Are they really worth it?

Do you wear liners under them?

I have a pair, and I have used them a few times with No negitive problems. Yes your feet mite sweat some. Nothing like he skins will do to your feet, you could end up with blisters using the skins. They do not let yor feet breath the Rocky socks do.
    I used mine the first two days out this year and had dry feet and socks while others did not. Hope that helps, I am in Pearisburg right now. The weather has been really nice for us the past few weeks, so no need for them at this time.
    I don't know

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Just go with muddy socks and rinse them out every now and then?
    Yep. Keep as clean as you can. The mud bothered my skin a little until I learned that lesson.

Breathable membranes only breathe if they're both clean and dry, which will not happen in New England mud if you have conditions like I did. Mostly it'll be like wearing plastic bags.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Default SealSkinz

I have a pair and use them mostly for winter kayaking, but I did wear them hiking once... bad idea. I wear Adidas trail runners for hiking. I sweat a lot, and the fit is not very conforming around the foot. I had blisters and clammy pruned feet at the same time. At the same time my calves had a red mark where the elastic banding fell. Instead, I'd just rinse the socks out every night to remove the abrasive grit... the smell seems to always be there.

My $.02

-Grimey

Sealskinz don't really breathe. They act more like a vapor barrier. I wore them in Sept. in the Hundred Mile Wilderness on one wet day and they kept my feet clean, but they did sweat a bit, though the liner in the Sealskinz wicks pretty well. I'd consider them a "muddy day only" sock. I wouldn't (and didn't) wear them every day on my 11 day hike in Maine.
    I wore them without socks. I wouldn't have had enough room in my sandals for socks and Sealskinz.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++