WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    Interesting that the discussions of the 2 issues are adjacent on the page.

"Other issues with which the club has dealt in the
    past year include: a new trail constructed by AMC to
    connect Little Lyford Pond Camps to the AT in the
    Katahdin Iron Works area; the conflict with camp owners
    who had placed illegal advertising and a blue blazed side
    trail directing hikers to their business; and the rerouting"

This just seems so very partison on the part of MATC and AMC. I don't see how anyone can defend it other than one party asked permission and the other asked forgiveness.
    It was a yearly summary though, so take that however you like. The issues could have been discussed on separate occasions during the year, the decisions could have been close but opposite, there might be additional considerations, etc. It's hard to tell. I'd want to read the minutes, they could provide better insight.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    It was a yearly summary though, so take that however you like. The issues could have been discussed on separate occasions during the year, the decisions could have been close but opposite, there might be additional considerations, etc. It's hard to tell. I'd want to read the minutes, they could provide better insight.

Very well could have been at completely different times. It just seems ironic when you read the 2 entries together.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camp mom View Post
    if the amc are not after the a.t hikers dollar why are the blazing or cutting a trail and signing to there camps!!!
    The only new AMC trail and sign that I can think of connects Little Lyford Pond Camps with Gulf Hagas, which I'm sure many of their guests like to visit.

I'm a member of the MATC board of directors, and editor of the club's newsletter, The Mainetainer, so I attend most board meetings. However, I've missed some because of various "old age" illnesses, so I may have missed another sidetrail request at some point.

But gaining permission for a new side trail is a bit of an elaborate process. The club basically is not the deciding agency. We make a recommendation to the National Park Service, which is the ultimate decider. Though I don't recall the park service ever rejecting a recommendation by MATC. We don't get many requests for an official side trail. I think of lot of squabbling could have been avoided had Whitehouse Landing enquired about the proper procedures when it opened a decade or more ago, and followed them, rather than just clearing an old road and posting a sign.

Frankly, I hear two different stories about this situation, Yours and the numerous reports over the years to the MATC board by the overseer of the trail section that runs from the Jo Mary campground road to the summit of Katahdin.

The overseer, Rick Ste. Croix, is not a bureaucratic type. He's just an unusually dedicated and conscientious trail volunteer doing a tough job with the help of his wife.

Weary

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    There's a reference to this discussion on page 2 here, the newsletter. I don't know if the club minutes are public.

Weary mentions a sign above, post #91.

Last time I saw this discussion, I hadn't heard about the sign for AMC. They got a trail too. Those are interesting developments.
    Quote Originally Posted by weary;1006454[B
    ]The only new AMC trail and sign that I can think of connects Little Lyford Pond Camps with Gulf Hagas[/B], which I'm sure many of their guests like to visit.

I'm a member of the MATC board of directors, and editor of the club's newsletter, The Mainetainer, so I attend most board meetings. However, I've missed some because of various "old age" illnesses, so I may have missed another sidetrail request at some point.

But gaining permission for a new side trail is a bit of an elaborate process. The club basically is not the deciding agency. We make a recommendation to the National Park Service, which is the ultimate decider. Though I don't recall the park service ever rejecting a recommendation by MATC. We don't get many requests for an official side trail. I think of lot of squabbling could have been avoided had Whitehouse Landing enquired about the proper procedures when it opened a decade or more ago, and followed them, rather than just clearing an old road and posting a sign.

Frankly, I hear two different stories about this situation, Yours and the numerous reports over the years to the MATC board by the overseer of the trail section that runs from the Jo Mary campground road to the summit of Katahdin.

The overseer, Rick Ste. Croix, is not a bureaucratic type. He's just an unusually dedicated and conscientious trail volunteer doing a tough job with the help of his wife.

Weary
    what about the new trail that goes up to the AT between 3rd and 4th mountain???...that's new, and i believe it's theirs

Images

Default It's just you

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    is it just me or does the MATC seem like a bunch of elitist bullies? my donations will be going elsewhere. who really needs double privies with a cribbage board.
    It's just you
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

Images

Default Market the "100" mile wilderness?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the MATC tries to market the "100 mile wilderness" as just that even though it's no where near a wilderness so a little sign pointing towards food and lodging ruins their fantasy
    MATC markets t-shirts, patches, pins, trail guides, the occasional hat. We are not a "marketing" club, we are a "maintaining" club. The term "100 mile wilderness" is always referred to tongue in cheek as we all recognize it is not a true wilderness. Don't believe it check Weary's past posts as he almost always puts in a disclaimer or adds the words "so-called". I would welcome anyone posting any evidence of the MATC promoting the so called "wilderness".
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    The only new AMC trail and sign that I can think of connects Little Lyford Pond Camps with Gulf Hagas, which I'm sure many of their guests like to visit.

Weary
    we didnt think we needed permission for a new side trail because the old tote road was already there and was on the maps as leading to a recognised campsite on nahmakanta stream.our trail to the dock branches off that old road.so its nothing new.as noted before we just wanted hikers to know they were at the right place. as far as the park service making the ultimate call,when we asked the guy from nps why there are signs all along the a.t.if the law states none are allowed,then why are we being singled out? he said its up to each individual club to decide whats best for their trail.so apparently the amc fits and we dont.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I sat in on some of the early Maine planning. The goals have changed significantly since then. Rather than a lot of new construction,
    Weary, you're changing your story again...

Years back the AMC had a meeting in Greenville trumpeting its plans for construction projects in the 100 Mile. The meeting was well attended, and was reported on in it least three different newspapers, one from as far away as Bangor. Weary has claimed for years it never happened. He even claimed I made the whole thing up.

"Stick to the Truth, it's the easiest tale to remember." - my great Aunt Cynthia, a life long resident of Greenville, Maine.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by camp mom View Post
    he said its up to each individual club to decide whats best for their trail.so apparently the amc fits and we dont.
    The trouble comes when the Trail Maintaining club is inconsistent.
    At Harrison's there's a sign advertising their lemonade nailed to a mid-AT tree. In Monson, there are always posters and cards and signs. The AMC is allowed to cut trails that intersect the AT and signs pointing to their hotels are placed on the AT. But on the Marhar Tote Road, signs placed down forest roads outside the AT corridor are stolen.
    Pick a position, M(AMC)TC, and stick to it.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

since this thread is about setting the record straight about whitehouse landing camps, let's set the record straight once and for all. in this world, no matter what else happens, you get out of life what you put into it. bill and linda are hardworking everyday people who love what they do. and what they do is provide unparalleled hospitality to not only hikers, but kayakers, fishermen, vacationers, outdoorsmen, and those that just need a little solace. being that far out is not an easy life, but they are there because they love it. their camp was not only spotless, but pristine. there was not one single speck of trash in site. i work in watershed and environmental conservation and there wasn't one single thing i would change about their camp! for you, weary, and you, white russian, to get on here and bitch about a friggin sign and a burger that somebody else made for your lazy ass, is absolutely the most pitiful, pathetic thing i have seen in some time and i work for the government! you have outdone yourselves in pettiness. i walked through that so-called wilderness and in more than a few places, i saw unbelievable amounts of trash and pretty much laziness on the parts of the people that visit them. there was none of that at whl. you bitch about bill not being neighborly? stop being an absolute elitist ass and put up a sign for whl that conforms to your "wilderness" specs! be a good neighbor yourself! good deeds aren't just shat from the sky. if you want neighborliness, the practice what you preach. from what i have personally seen of the matc, you're a bunch of petty people that are stuck inside 6 months of the year and are so sick of yourselves at the end of it, that you have to spread the nastiness or explode. be neighborly for once in your life and put up a damn sign. what is so friggin hard about that?

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    since this thread is about setting the record straight about whitehouse landing camps, let's set the record straight once and for all. in this world, no matter what else happens, you get out of life what you put into it. bill and linda are hardworking everyday people who love what they do. and what they do is provide unparalleled hospitality to not only hikers, but kayakers, fishermen, vacationers, outdoorsmen, and those that just need a little solace. being that far out is not an easy life, but they are there because they love it. their camp was not only spotless, but pristine. there was not one single speck of trash in site. i work in watershed and environmental conservation and there wasn't one single thing i would change about their camp! for you, weary, and you, white russian, to get on here and bitch about a friggin sign and a burger that somebody else made for your lazy ass, is absolutely the most pitiful, pathetic thing i have seen in some time and i work for the government! you have outdone yourselves in pettiness. i walked through that so-called wilderness and in more than a few places, i saw unbelievable amounts of trash and pretty much laziness on the parts of the people that visit them. there was none of that at whl. you bitch about bill not being neighborly? stop being an absolute elitist ass and put up a sign for whl that conforms to your "wilderness" specs! be a good neighbor yourself! good deeds aren't just shat from the sky. if you want neighborliness, the practice what you preach. from what i have personally seen of the matc, you're a bunch of petty people that are stuck inside 6 months of the year and are so sick of yourselves at the end of it, that you have to spread the nastiness or explode. be neighborly for once in your life and put up a damn sign. what is so friggin hard about that?
    go ***** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    go ***** yourself
    ooh! good idea! brb.

Kanga....I don't believe I know you, but I can tell I would like you.

Thanks for your post!!
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

oh, btw, **** only has 4 letters.

Default setting the record straight

Ah, I see Weary just got Kanga rude , her typical knee-jerk response to people she can't discuss issues with logically. Too bad she doesn't understand the simple concept that the land is public land administrated by NPS and they are the ones who have said no commercialization, like signs to private businesses-it has nothing to do with Weary. Despite all the bluster and pointless rhetoric from Kanga, Weary can't put a sign there any more than Kanga or WHL can, it's illegal, plain and simple.

If Kanga truly works for the Government then she should know enough to go through the proper channels to try to get a sign that meets her specifications placed on Mahar Tote Road rather than continuing her personal attacks in these forums. The rest of her diatribe isn't worth commenting on, other than to say a whole lot of TP is needed to clean it up..

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    Kanga....I don't believe I know you, but I can tell I would like you.

Thanks for your post!!
    dang i think you missed her by like 2 days up at shaws last summer...and, you would

oh, btw, **** only has 4 letters.
    5 lasts longer

Journal Entries

hey kanga, camp dad here.i think i love you.that was the most no nonsense reply,telling it like it is response ive witnessed in all the time looking at all the threads about us.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    Ah, I see Weary just got Kanga rude , her typical knee-jerk response to people she can't discuss issues with logically. Too bad she doesn't understand the simple concept that the land is public land administrated by NPS and they are the ones who have said no commercialization, like signs to private businesses-it has nothing to do with Weary. Despite all the bluster and pointless rhetoric from Kanga, Weary can't put a sign there any more than Kanga or WHL can, it's illegal, plain and simple.

If Kanga truly works for the Government then she should know enough to go through the proper channels to try to get a sign that meets her specifications placed on Mahar Tote Road rather than continuing her personal attacks in these forums. The rest of her diatribe isn't worth commenting on, other than to say a whole lot of TP is needed to clean it up..
    what is not logical is the fact that this country now caters to the whining little pansies that bitch about everything that is not going their way, instead of standing on the principles of hard work, honesty, and integrity that this country was founded upon.

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

Like Ron says, "When Kanga aint happy, noone is happy"

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post

let me tell you something... has anybody noticed that mr. weary has not responded once TO ME in any of these!!! case in point!!! weary speak to me . you do all the other people.SPEAK TO ME!!!! can you see what we are up against no one will, i want to know why. why will you respond to everyone elses remark. all i can tell you right now is we have work to do, we have hikers ,and the rest of our customers that are more important to us then you,i am all done wasting our time.my hopefully last remark to you is if you decide to come in to meet us,when you get to the boat dock .ONE SHORT BLAST. (OR YOU WILL GET DOCK TIME).

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++