WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Just a thought, Tinman. It might have been wiser to have seen "what all the fuss is about," before criticizing a hardworking and super dedicated maintaining club again and again, for causing the fuss.
    Just a thought, Weary. It might be wiser to stop making excuses and get this resolved. You have spent more energy on this thread than it should take to resolve this simple issues. It's just a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Hey Tin Man

what happinin dude????
    who? what?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    That sign is nowhere near the trail. . . your sources are incorrect. . . .
    I know it's not near the trail now. You and others have already told us that. I think the question may be where it used to be. Maybe Camp Mom can help us with that question.

I know it's not near the trail now. You and others have already told us that. I think the question may be where it used to be. Maybe Camp Mom can help us with that question.
    It's never been near the trail in the last 4 years. . . I've made that point abundantly clear. . . your AMC minions know where the trail to WHL is and they've had to walk the same distance as everyone who wants to go there to finally see the sign. . . about 400 yards down an old tote road. . .
    Well off the AT. . . and they know it. . . . the AMC is very much the antagonist with regard to this topic. . . . . . . . sad that you don't seem to know it. . . .

Journal Entries

that sign that shutterbug sent in has always been 1/4 mile down the mahar tote rd. we only have the 1 sign there now and has been only that one for a few years now. i had done a nice smaller one for there,but it went missing,we do not believe it was any maintainers.we had a small sign a.t. size ,size of the mahar sign. at the trail head,that was taken down,and removed,never found it. then i made a nice painting on a piece of slate of a picture of a whitehouse near a lake with the american flag,no wording. i placed it next to the crossing on the tote rd. so hikers would know that was the turn. it was taken. thats when we started putting up a business card on the tree. and they also was taken down. but that sign in the photo was never seen from the trail.those are the only signs we have ever had.we did put up a business card.thats what the hikers were seeing to make the turn. thanks weary for asking.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    Camp Mom:

I hope to be SOBO and passing through (thru?) around the first week of June, can't wait to see your place and looking forward some of that home style cooking. Thanks in advance.
    have a great hike

Journal Entries

As I recall, when I first hiked that section of the AT several decades ago, there was a shelter at Mahar Landing, with an MATC sign on the trail reading "Mahar Landing." Souvenir hunters scrounge such signs from time to time. But I wouldn't be surprised to find that it is still there. I'll have to go look.

Weary
    there has never been a shelter but there is a campsite.

Well I remember seeing a Shaw's sign before the National Park Service had bought the trail corridor and imposed national park regulations. The last time I looked the tree had grown around part of the sign, making it impossible to remove. But an MATC volunteer at some point painted out the visible words and arrows.

Weary
    that sign was soooooo old, the tree was long dead and down. we took a chainsaw to it and saved the section with the sign for down at the hostel.

and whatever paint they used, if they did in fact paint it, didn't take.

Has it occurred to you that we spend most of our time working on trails.
    Weary
    can you maybe do something about the area north of west carry pond??? it's like that planet yoda lives on and i had to abandon my x-wing fighter

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    can you maybe do something about the area north of west carry pond??? it's like that planet yoda lives on and i had to abandon my x-wing fighter
    I can't -- at least not directly. But if you open the MATC website:

www.matc.org

You'll find someone who possibly can help. These days, I mostly put out the MATC newsletter, and repond from time to time to the ire of some on White Blaze.

Weary

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    . . . . the AMC is very much the antagonist with regard to this topic. . . . . . . . sad that you don't seem to know it. . . .
    I guess that may be because no one has posted a single fact that suggests AMC has ever had anything to do with White House Landing. Attached (if I did it right, that is) is a photo of the new AMC sign that so many have talked about.

Weary

weary, your entire contribution here has been nothing but contradictory. you continuously malign whl acting as if you are speaking for the matc and continuously speak up in defence of the matc saying they have done nothing wrong. yet, when asked to help resolve the issue, it is quite clear from your responses that you do not have the first clue how you would go about doing that with the matc. you are obviously not as connected with the matc as you like to portray yourself as. as well, you have made multiple comments about sign placement, shelter location, and the like and at every turn you have been corrected by those that routinely hike that section.
    i think it's just about time for you to be quiet.

Images

Default When

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    that sign was soooooo old, the tree was long dead and down. we took a chainsaw to it and saved the section with the sign for down at the hostel.

and whatever paint they used, if they did in fact paint it, didn't take.

Hi Von, When did you take the tree down?
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

Images

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    weary, your entire contribution here has been nothing but contradictory. you continuously malign whl acting as if you are speaking for the matc and continuously speak up in defence of the matc saying they have done nothing wrong. yet, when asked to help resolve the issue, it is quite clear from your responses that you do not have the first clue how you would go about doing that with the matc. you are obviously not as connected with the matc as you like to portray yourself as. as well, you have made multiple comments about sign placement, shelter location, and the like and at every turn you have been corrected by those that routinely hike that section.
    i think it's just about time for you to be quiet.
    I cannot tell you how much we appreciate your advice regarding the MATC and the Trail in Maine. Your reach is long from Georgia and your experience at such a young age is very impressive. We are here doing the job and you are there running your mouth. Get a clue as folks like Weary have done more for the AT in Maine (many thousands of hours through the years) than you will ever know or be able to duplicate. He does not deserve scorn from the likes of you. You and others may have a problem or disagree with how the MATC operates. That can and should be discussed without the rancor you put forth. Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkinHome View Post
    I cannot tell you how much we appreciate your advice regarding the MATC and the Trail in Maine. Your reach is long from Georgia and your experience at such a young age is very impressive. We are here doing the job and you are there running your mouth. Get a clue as folks like Weary have done more for the AT in Maine (many thousands of hours through the years) than you will ever know or be able to duplicate. He does not deserve scorn from the likes of you. You and others may have a problem or disagree with how the MATC operates. That can and should be discussed without the rancor you put forth. Rant over.
    your reading comprehension is stellar. i am not advising for matc. nor have i ever maligned what weary has done for the at in maine. what i have issue with is weary running his mouth about stuff he is obviously not current on. it is poor information. but thank you for your viewpoint.

I'm willing to bet we can stop this arguement for ever and solve the problem. If everyone that has posted to this thread agrees to send 10 bucks to MATC when they put up a sign, I'll bet it won't be long before a shinney new sign is up. Weary, you get it done, I'll send ya 50 bucks. You don't, you aint gettin squat. Any more takers? Put up or shut up. AMC gets what they want because of money. So can we.

Clyde

Default Dead Horse

Wasn't this issue resolved some time ago by the parties involved (WHL and the National Park Service)?

Quote Originally Posted by berkshirebirder View Post
    Wasn't this issue resolved some time ago by the parties involved (WHL and the National Park Service)?
    got 10 bucks? you can get an answer

Images

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by rcli4 View Post
    I'm willing to bet we can stop this arguement for ever and solve the problem. If everyone that has posted to this thread agrees to send 10 bucks to MATC when they put up a sign, I'll bet it won't be long before a shinney new sign is up. Weary, you get it done, I'll send ya 50 bucks. You don't, you aint gettin squat. Any more takers? Put up or shut up. AMC gets what they want because of money. So can we.

Clyde
    ROFLMAO Good one!! I don't know where all of you conspiracy theorists get all this stuff but it sure is entertaining. Read carefully: The large AMC (as opposed to the Maine Chapter which is very small and does not have the deep pockets the big boys have) went through the procedure NPS oultined for a trail and sign. They got it. A picture of the sign has been posted and does not mention any commercial entity (boo hoo that must hurt like heck LOL). Baxter State Park is, as we write, in the process of going through the same process for a relo. The MATC does not have ANY financial interest in the AMC. We do share goals and trail work with the Maine Chapter and many folks are members of both.

MATC has been accused of:

Wanting to take the land of WHL (early post). Did you know that when hikers were whining about WHL changing the character of the so called "wilderness" Dave Field (former chair of your other love to hate organization ATC and former president of MATC) wrote an editorial in ATN stating the thought that the presence of WHL was just a return to history as "camps' were all along the original AT? Now that is one heck of an opening gambit/tactic to set WHL to take over their land! Did you know that when the NPS bought the land the that is now the corridor in Maine that we did not have to use eminent domain? That is due to the effort of Dave Field again - full disclosure, there were some landowners that REQUESTED a procedure know as "friendly condemnation" for which landowners got some tax benefits from and we agreed.

Being elitist. Early in the formation of the MATC this was definitely tru as most of the MATC was made up of folks from away that travelled from the D.C. area by train up here to do trail work. That was because many of the early trail workers were from the PATC but that changed as the club grew with Mainers. Elitist? How much does it cost to be a member of the MATC? $15.00 a year. WOW, surely priced high enough to keep out the rif-raf!! LOL.

MATC is trying to promote/preserve the so called "wilderness" by forcing hostels like WHL out of business. Huh? We promote and work for the responsible use of the AT in Maine. PERIOD! Where in the world have you ever seen advertisements from the MATC trying to pump up usuage? We are actually always in the opposite mode by trying to minimize impact by the large numbers of hikers. Can you say Grafton Loop Trail here in Maine by Balpate? Why do you think we jumped right on that project (along with the AMC I might add)? It relieves some pressure OFF of the AT by offering a nice alternative loop trail.

MATC should go to WHL to see what they would like to do. Huh? again. Since when is up to the MATC (or any other maintaining club) to reach out to businesses along the trail to see if they are all warm and fuzzy. We are not hard to reach or apply to. The address is on our website MATC.org. Can you read? Can you write? For crying out loud, instead of crying out loud and whining send a letter stating your position. Don't assume it will not get acted upon and don't prejudge the actions of the MATC IF you ever do such a large undertaking.

MATC applies the "sign" issue unevenly. That most likely has some truth to it but I will say that it is benign neglect. Did you know that when this issue first came up the MATC was in a battle to keep Saddleback Ski Area from putting ski infrastructure across the trail? At that time we had other things on our plate and it seems that we always have larger issues to deal with as we are continually being tasked with more and more jobs from the ATC and NPS which we try our best to fulfill. This WHL stuff reminds me of flypoop in pepper.

I am in the process of trying to get the documentation from Mark Simpson and the ranger that visited WHL to find out what transpired. I know that the ranger has some photos of some pretty ugly painting of trees, if memory serves.

I am also told that there IS a sign pointing to Mahar Landing. If so what more does any hiker need. All of the How To Guides give directions from that point.

If I missed some conspiracy theories I apologize. Maybe another post when I see more ludicrous accusations. Oh, and regardless of what is posted here about the MATC, we will work hard to keep it open and safe and protected for all of you and your friends and relatives to use when they are ready.

HAPPY 75TH ANNIVERSARY TO THE MATC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rcli4 View Post

Clyde
    I suggested to Walkin Home an hour or more ago about asking the overseer of the Katahdin District to replace the existing Mahar Landing sign and adding the words "Pemadumcook Lake 0.3 miles."

Your suggestion that we were bribed by AMC and can be bribed by you makes it impossible for me to carry out that idea. I'm not going to do anything that would contribute to the spread your cynical beliefs among the gullible on White Blaze.

Weary

Everyone take a breather.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20
++ New Posts ++