WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    AND you started a second thread on this subject?!?!

I am thinking Johnnies judgment pretty good, sounds like something I would have done. Don't show up after hours & then get pissed because the store won't re open just for you.

As posted above "Grow up!"
    actually i started a second one because this one was closed by the moderator to adjust it to fit better with a more liberal veiw of the place. sorry for being one sided, but i have stayed at many places in my life on the trail and off and have never been treated with such a terrible attitude that i felt i should go and write about it.
    "some rise, some fall, SOME CLIMB to get to Terrapin"

Quote Originally Posted by climber2377 View Post
    i know that there are many people that have had similar experiences with the UJ establishment.
    i've never met uncle johnny or used his business, so i can't say what he is like one way or another, but i do see that this thread has been open for a few hours and there haven't been many people sharing similar experiences. in fact, there haven't been any.
    -tagg

Images

I'm sorry, but hiking is hiking. The weather in these parts has been great recently, and your friends won't melt.

UJ is a business man. If you think you were treated unfairly or he didn't bend over backwards to accomodate you and your friends lack of planning or forsight, maybe you'd be happier back in NY.

The way you have presented yourself in this thread gives me an idea that you were probably a real pleasure to deal with face to face

My experience was par for the course.....

I'll say this, whoever Johnny had working the front counter there last year had the personality of a bowling ball. Not impressed.

Johnny did give me and a couple other hikers a (paid) ride across town to the motel so we could get a room and picked us up (late) the next day for a ride back to the trail.

Glad we stayed at the motel since it was closer to food, laundry, and beer. Plus we didn't have to put up with the cramped quarters and the stomach flu that was running rampant through his hostel at the time.........

HA! That's funny.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

So what did UJ do that was wrong?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Wow. How about this, if you don't like his service, don't go back.

If a clerk at a store (any store) treats you rudely, do you post rants and demand boycotts for everyone else to see, or is this something new? So you were pissed, get over it. Obviously others haven't had the same experience you had. As a matter of fact, if you ask 100 people and 99 say they've had a good experience, then the problem isn't with the business, it's with you.

Images

you sure its not YOU with the attitude and after these threads don't expect much better treatment up or down the trail. word travels faster then you can walk.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

um... lets see, you go to a business that states "shuttle service" then you ask for a shuttle and say i ll pay you money to go get my friends who are trying to get to Erwin. how about "i m sorry we are closed for the night but i will gladly get them in the morning if that is ok with you?" oh that s not what drunk idiots say. they have a tendency to be rude. sorry for living.
    So now the guy is a drunk idiot? You are the one that asked a shuttle driver who had obviously finished for the day and was drinking beer for a ride. I would have been a bit more rude. Why would you ask a guy who you see is drinking for a ride? If I were drinking and you walked up to me and asked me for a ride I would consider it an insult and disrespectful that you would assume that I would be willing to be a drunk driver for a price.
    And BTW, if you think there is something wrong with taking some time off and having some beers, or, even acting like an idiot once in awhile, the AT might not be a good place for you to hang out. There is an abundance of beer drinkers, idiots and the combination of the two on the trail.

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Hmm, this qoute souns like a recent news story...
    i know that there are many people that have had similar experiences with the UJ establishment.
    Just like the hiker meeting the obamas... nobody says: hey, guess what world? I just walked on the mountains-to-sea trail and saw some middle-class citizen just like me!... same with UJ's... most people with good experiences won't say they got a good ride by starting a thread... any good business is bound to end up with a bad experience sooner or later... more if they cater to the customer's every whim...
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

THE FUNNY THING IS, this is the most free publicity that Uncle Johnny's has got in a long time
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    THE FUNNY THING IS, this is the most free publicity that Uncle Johnny's has got in a long time
    Ya know, I hadn't looked it that way until you mentioned that. Shrewd observation, my friend.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    So you get to a business and request a service. You find The owner relaxing after working and he politely tells you the service is ended for the day and you're pissed for what good reason? The only person doing anything wrong here is you. Being a thru hiker doesn't make you entitled or special in any way. Trying to get others to buy into your line of crap is disgusting. Grow up.
    Amen to that coment Fhart.

Images

Hiker friendly just means that they put up with how bad we smell.

Not 24/7 kiss your ass service.

UJ called me back long distance and 'after hours' to offer better alternatives (Closer and with occupancy) for shuttles, rooms, and rides for where we are going. Thanks UJ!

Images

I dislike people like the OP who just because Johnnie didn"t jump up, excitedly say "OMG An actual honest to god HIKER!, How may I serve you my lord?" he isn't hiker friendly.

Much of John's business is the Fishermen & Kayakers that come to the nearby Nolichucky river not hikers. Yet John gives us a discount on the hostel & cabins (Hiker friendly). John has limited room in the office, most of the limited gear he has room for is hiker gear (Hiker friendly). He shuttles hungry hikers to AYCE Pizza with nearby long term resupply as part of the discounted room charge (Hiker friendly). SO, just because YOU were not on time & YOU were expecting special service doesn't mean Uncle Johnie's wasn't hiker friendly. At the end of a long day (when I was there UJ started before 5 AM) I would have told you to get lost with an attitude it seems you had. Wouldn't have been nearly as pleasant as John was.

Before you complain that I offended you, trust me when I say I'll take it as a complement.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

I didn't enjoy my stay there last year, but others do. I think it depends on who you are and if Colorado is around....

Climber2377,
    I'm with you. I have only had 2 experiences with Uncle Johnny and both were horribly worse than yours. He will NEVER get a penny of mine.

geek

i heard some stuff and didnt believe it, then i showed up and was thinking... my friends need a shuttle to be in town with me, so why not go to the guy who runs a shuttle and get them a ride. first i call, he doesnt answer. i then hitch across town to his place and he is outside drinking and when i ask for a shuttle, he says "not to be rude, but shuttles are just about done for the day, its not raining and its not snowing, your friends will be fine" Now it was only around 5:00 when this happend. i m not giving him any of my money, i suggest you dont give him any either! if you have a story that will help perpetuate the theme of this then please post here. do not offer pros and cons, this thread is not a debate*. please post only negative info here. i m sure this is a lot of it.

*Feel free to discuss both the pros and cons of recent experiences. It will be a lot fairer to the proprietor rather than a predefined flaming.
    Added by Alligator.
    Your on a thru for over 2100 miles and your worried about a few extra miles for a resupply/get together?? Geeze.....
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

ok guys here it goes.#1 look where he is from,Westchester co. ny.i lived in the north for 18 years and the worst folks come from that area.snooty snotty,we all owe them a place at a table even if they are not invited.i do have a very good friend from there.he only stays because he makes insane amounts of money off those a-holes.this is not hear say,first hand knowledge.this guy backs up my opinion very well.uncle j is a real dossey ,but better people than comes from that snotty part of ny.oh and by the way northern ny would like to annex them selves from theses jack leggs.you wonder why?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++