WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Exotic Invasives on the Appalachian Trail - Mountain Xpress (blog)

Exotic Invasives on the Appalachian Trail
    Mountain Xpress (blog)
    The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) is seeking volunteers for two invasive exotic plant workshops and inventory hikes in the Pisgah National Forest. ...

More...

John, the ATC rep, is a great guy and good to work with. We did some of this in Erwin along the railroad tracks in February.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

The Japanese Barberry along the AT in New York is absoulutely astounding in places - acres and acres of it.
    Bittersweet is a very big problem in my area, covering shrubs and trees and robbing them of sunlight, killing them and then using their skeletons to reach up to the sun. It really is a big problem. Thanks for the info.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I was hiking yesterday in the Catoctin Mt Park/Cunningham Falls with a lady who is a Master Gardner. She was pointing out all of the invasive plants along those trails. Barberry is a huge one, absolutely everywhere. Another one is called "ginger radish" (I'm pretty sure that's what she called it - - tall with tiny white flowers at the top).
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Barberry is nasty and not just because of its spines. I believe birds are responsible for moving it around. Oddly, we have a native barberry which has been extirpated from most of its former range. Plant natives!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Another one is called "ginger radish" (I'm pretty sure that's what she called it - - tall with tiny white flowers at the top).
    Reminds me of mustard garlic, very invasive here in the mid west.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Reminds me of mustard garlic, very invasive here in the mid west.

(red cheeked) You're right. I have my spices mixed up! I just looked it up and it is "garlic mustard"........
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

I don't believe we've had an Invasives on the A.T. thread. All I recall are a few comments here and there along with some flip responses. I'll gather some links, begin a thread soon and link it from this post. Until then, here's ATC's invasives page.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4806053/k.A4A7/Invasive_Species.htm
    Last edited by emerald; 05-02-2010 at 19:50. Reason: Added ATC invasives page link.

In Pennsylvania last year I saw my first mile-a-minute vine. Holy cow!
    http://www.vegetablegardener.com/ite...-a-minute-weed (my blog post about it)

++ New Posts ++