WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Searching for a new pack

I thru hiked last year with an old Gregory; it sucked then and as you can imagine it sucks even more now. I'm in the process of getting new gear that is up to date, more compact and doesn't smell as bad.

What I'm looking for in a pack is something best described as "on the verge of being a day pack" First and foremost, I'm looking for one without a top loader, brain thing. My last pack had one, they are cumbersome and I hate them. So yeah, that's pretty much my criteria right now. Of course, ultimately, the volume of gear going into the pack will determine what exactly I get, but I'm just looking for some starting points. I've been checking out the Osprey Atmos 35 (could the colors be any worse?) and the Kestrel 32, but I'm not so sure yet.

I don't necessarily have an affinity for Osprey, I'm just modeling my search after a guy I thru hiked with that had an extremely light weight set up and he happened to have one of those small Ospreys. So I am definitely open to other brands. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

exos 34 is a sweet little pack...around 2300 cubes..word is dont over load it..think 17-18 pounds
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

I have a Kestrel 32 and use it for heavy day hikes -- camera gear, winter snowshoeing, that sort of thing. Nice pack. Comfortable. But it's heavy compared to similarly-sized ultralight hiking packs.

You might look at Mountain Laurel Designs, Gossamer Gear, and Six Moons Designs. They all make packs that fit your criteria.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

ULA Conduit? (now called the CDT)
    JRiker
    Patience and Positivity will keep you alive!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/bighatcreations

check out the GOLITE PEAK, this may be a pack that fits what you discribe. Under 2500 ci - 1 lb 11 oz and it has no top lid. I just got this pack for myself and am very pleased with its preformance. I'v carried 25# with no trouble and it rides like a dream. I was a little leary getting this thing online with out seeing/feeling it first but i'm glade I did. It's well made and very simple.

Garlic
    Images

You didn't mention what your load weighs, which is as important as volume in getting the pack, I think. Lots of lighter suspension options out there, ranging from the internal frames like Osprey to nothing more than a "frameless" rucksack at the lower end. See ZPacks.com for low cost, very low weight examples.

ULA is a very good (and expensive) pack. Gossamer Gear has a good line of packs for several different load ranges. SixMoonDesigns has some more. I've been having very good luck with my Gossamer Gear packs.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    You didn't mention what your load weighs, which is as important as volume in getting the pack, I think. Lots of lighter suspension options out there, ranging from the internal frames like Osprey to nothing more than a "frameless" rucksack at the lower end. See ZPacks.com for low cost, very low weight examples.

ULA is a very good (and expensive) pack. Gossamer Gear has a good line of packs for several different load ranges. SixMoonDesigns has some more. I've been having very good luck with my Gossamer Gear packs.

Load weight would ideally be sub 20 lbs. Gossamer Gear's packs are interesting..thanks!

This excursion backpack from Briggs & Riley’s BRX line perfectly fits the description of a backpack “on the verge of being a day pack.” It looks smaller than those gigantic rucksacks, but has lots of room for all types of adventure travel gear. BRX products hit the market in May. I think it would be worth giving the backpack a look once it’s launched.

The Gossamer Gear Gorilla is a really nice pack. I've never tried it but I have seen it in person. I have a Gossamer Gear G4. It's huge. It feels kind of "puffy" when worn. I probably wouldn't choose it again, but it served me well on the PCT last year and is still in fine shape.

You know, on a lot of those packs the top lid thing can be removed.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

+1 on Gossamer Gear. I have and like the Mariposa Plus. The MP has a very helpful stay support; the G4 is frameless; depends how you pack it, but by itself it's just a large nylon sack with a padded back. I like it, but for a long trip I would choose something with a frame. Both the MP and Gorilla get good reviews; both have removable stays as frames.

The Six Moon Designs 'Starlite' is a bigger version of the GG design. Worth checking out.

Mountain Laurel Designs is also worth checking out. All these seem to be run by good folks.

Hike smarter, not harder.

+1 on Gossamer Gear. My Mariposa was a little big, so I added a Gorilla to cut some volume and gain a little toughness. Hard to choose between those two, and my ULA Circuit/Conduit though.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

I have used a Golite Peak pack a couple of times. It works very well for those times when my Gossamer Gear Mariposa is too big. My pack weight for a hot MD AT overnight hike was 12 pounds, including food, fuel and a liter of water. I also carried a Gossamer Gear one, just in case. The quality of the pack is very good. Has what I need and nothing more. All of the straps are too long, but that is easily fixed. It carried very nicely. I would say this pack or the Gossamer Gear Gorilla would fit your needs (I have not used the Gorilla, so I can't say much about it, but GG stuff is pretty good overall).
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    +1 on Gossamer Gear. My Mariposa was a little big, so I added a Gorilla to cut some volume and gain a little toughness. Hard to choose between those two, and my ULA Circuit/Conduit though.
    The gorilla looks awesome! I am thinking about ordering it. What kind of gear do you fit into your pack? Is it comfortable?

if you like the atmos, how about looking at the Exos 58? Im selling mine, its in perfect shape, 1 year old (lifetime warranty). i love it. i bout the atmos 65 for longer trips tho.

let me know and ill send u more info

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by pattydivins View Post
    The gorilla looks awesome! I am thinking about ordering it. What kind of gear do you fit into your pack? Is it comfortable?
    Very comfortable. I roll up my tent and stand it in the side pockets. Quilt and everything else goes inside. Rain gear in the back pocket.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

A while ago I too was looking for a new bag. I looked at Gossamer Gear's Gorilla, Mariposa Plus, and G4 packs, in addition to Six Moon Design's Starlite pack. I was leaning toward Gossamer Gear, since they did not use the Velcro attachments at the shoulder straps, and adopted the overall same pack design, however the dimensions and features were slightly different. I then batted around the size that I needed and decided to drop the Gossamer Gear Gorilla from the running, since I wanted to allow my sleeping bag to be free from a stuff sack -call me weird, but this is how I role! So there you have it, a toss between the Mariposa Plus and the G4.. and then I caught wind of ZPacks. I checked it out, and sent Joe a few e-mails, and we ironed out a pack, and have been very satisfied ever since. Great product and service, and best of all plenty of options! Check 'em out, you won't regret it.

Images

Mountain Laurel Designs! I carried the same Exodus on two consecutive thru hikes, which says something about the durability of their stuff.
    IAT '03, AT '04, PCT '06, CDT '07, CT '08, PCT '09, AT '10, CDT '12, AZT and PCT '13

Images

Check out Hyperlite Mountain Gear. LOVE my new cuben fiber pack. Light, super comfortable, waterproof AND an unexpected added feature, your back is against cuben fiber not mess, sweat does not get pack wet or smelly because it is waterproof!

If you want the pack a bit larger, I think that they would do that for you.

Also like their cuben fiber stuff sacks................next "investment" will be a cuben fiber tent.

You sound like a good candidate for the ULA Circuit. I wish I hadn't seen that Hyperlite Mountain Gear website though. Looks like I might get a new tent soon. Ha.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jriker View Post
    ula conduit? (now called the cdt)
    yyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuppp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++