Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Reason for Editing:
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    No, but more women tend to be raped and killed vs. men. More women have been killed vs. men (if you take into consideration the percentage of women hikers vs. men the odds of getting killed go way up. Maybe 10X more likely). But my point was that even if it is statistacally more likely, the odds are so small that it is not worth thinking about. Falls and weather are the biggest concerns. Don't live in fear.
    Have you actually looked up the statistics? Most all of the murders that have occured on the AT are couples. Men & women. Having a man with you makes you no safer.

And yes, I did get your point about the odds being small...just wanted to state for the record, that a man isn't going to keep you safe on the trail.

Images

I personally fell safer on some back country trail then I do in the local neighborhood park. Most freaky perverts like convient prey. (and I said most, not all)

Quote Originally Posted by maicheneb View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, I'm not worried in the least. If I'm going to die of any non-'natural' cause, I'd RATHER it be on the trail. I love hiking more than anything, and if anything it'd be a disappointment to die doing something mundane.
    I am a 41 year old womand and I just got back from 10 days out there by myself. When people started in about safety, I would say something along the lines of "i'm not going to be stupid about it and carry a sign saying "single chick in the woods" but if I am sposed to be murdered on the AT, then I'm murdered on the AT.. and if I'm sposed to die in a car accident coming home from the AT, then there is that too."
    Someone said "but what if you get hurt and there is no one to get help". My response to that " I live alone in a 3rd floor apartment with no second floor tenant, what if I slip in the bathroom? There is no one to get help then either."
    Not that a cell phone could help fend off an attack of a person or an animal, or heal a broken bone, but I did have my cell and a solar charger. And to appease my neighbor I had a bear bell. I showed it to her and said "see, now if a bear comes after me I just have to show it I have my bell and I will be all set!"
    Today at work I had a bunch of people asking me where I went on vaca, one of the guys was just in awe of me doing it at all, then I said "wanna be more impressed, ask me who I went with "
    So many people asked if I get scared out there alone in the woods, and my very very honest response is that I get more freaked out when I stay at work late then I do out there, whether I am pitched by the side of the trail or in a shelter with a guy I met an hour ago.
    BEST experience of my life and I just want to get back out there.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShoelessWanderer View Post
    Have you actually looked up the statistics? Most all of the murders that have occured on the AT are couples. Men & women. Having a man with you makes you no safer.

And yes, I did get your point about the odds being small...just wanted to state for the record, that a man isn't going to keep you safe on the trail.
    Yes, I actually have looked at all the murders that have taken place on the AT, at least those that the ATC says have taken place on the AT. And Yes, while several couples have been killed (Thelma marks, Wapiti, etc.) numerically more females have been murdered than males). Again, the only point I was trying to make was that in answer to the question: Is it MORE dangerous for women to hike vs. men? The answer is YES! Also, if the question was is it Dangerous for women to hike? The answer is no!
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

I agree with a lot of people, if one lives in fear, one would never go anywhere. I'm 5'2" and weight 100 lbs, I thought about buying a taser before soloing but just opted for a loud whistle always around my neck.

My parents are scared for me because of other people, ticks, snakes, bears, cliffs, giardia, mosquitoes, etc. I'm mostly scared of another gnat flying into my eye and having to sit on the side of the trail trying to pick it out.

If you factored in scary statistics to any situation, sitting at home with the doors locked can be scary. Get out and hike so you know that you're actually living!

Default Me, too

I get this from a variety of persons in my life, including my husband. I have met a few women solo on the trail. In general, I think the trail is only as dangerous as the environment and animals encountered. There are few threats from other hikers/persons met on the trail. I agree just being solo involves risk. Being female vs. male is not really the issue.

When I did some PCT sections a number of years ago a solo woman told me you had to treat the voices of dissent (to solo hiking, especially to woman) like a radio - tune it out.

I know that guys get it to - I remember a section hike in NC when I was at a shelter with about 5 guys and every one of them had gotten the "you aren't hiking alone speech from family, friends, etc." They all nodded in unison when I asked them. The funniest was the guy in his 50's on a 3 week section hike. He was so excited to have that much time to hike. He lied to his 80-something year old mother when she said "you have a partner, right?". That really made me laugh.

I am so tired of the crap about solo hiking - and I'm a female, so I get it straight up all the time. There was some guy in my small town running around with a knife the week before I took off for a MTS section hike. Where I saw nearly no one. Which one is safer? Seriously?

Oh - and my spouse gets it to! His co-workers were asking about my trip before he booted me out on trail for a week. They all starting hounding him with "is she hiking alone?"

He bit his tongue, but wanted to say "do you follow your wives to the grocery store? to their jobs?" Sheesh.

Images

If there were not a bit - or more - of risk, it would not be as delicious to do.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

This is a great topic. Although I have hiked a lot with a hiking club in the past, I have been pretty much hiking solo for the last year or so. I only do day hikes, but I get all kinds of grief from people about hiking alone. The truth is, I am able to pick up and go whenever I want, but if I waited to coordinate with others, it wouldn't happen. I stay alert and be sensible about distance and time I am out. I have gained a lot of confidence arranging shuttles, etc. Although I would enjoy company from time to time, it is just easier to make my own plans and go.

I've heard all the crazy stories too, and many folks ask me - are you REALLY hiking solo as a female? When I tell them yes, they freak out and ask me if I'm gonna carry a gun or whatever..it's nuts! My hubby, however is totally supportive of me and knows I have the skills to hike solo anyplace I choose. He thinks it's great! =) Ignore the naysayers, have confidence in your own skill set, and enjoy yourself! That's what it's all about, after all.

This thread most aptly demonstates how much fear, SO MUCH of it unreal and hyped-up, prevails in our society and the need to guard our hearts and minds from letting it dominate us! I'm so VERY GLAD to hear so many hikers are aware of it!

Images

yeah it seems perhaps women or small groups with a woman are targeted, as the double murders involved either a man and woman or the instance of the two lesbians. But thats the same case with randomly violent acts in cities or towns, because most murderers are chicken **** and look for what they perceive as easy prey. The numbers and instances are very low, making the at very safe. the attacks usually happened at shelters, ones close to roads. The lesbians were off the beaten path a bit but may have picked up a predator while in town or passing a shelter. I myself avoid most shelters. Theyre usually rat infested which makes them tick infested. Id much rather be in my tent where theres less of a chance of getting "company" after im already asleep. Youre much safer on the trail than nearly anywhere in the country, and needless worrying doesnt help at all and can distract from the journey. I just keep my spidey sense on, the batteries last forever.
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Psh! I live in the Metro St. Louis area. We just got voted the most dangerous city in the USA, again. I think I'll be safer on the AT!!

I'm just shocked that female friends that I feel are strong women start asking me if my husband is coming with me. I tell them no and they freak out. I guess I should be use to this. I fly small planes and you get a lot of "OMG, I could never do" that from men and women.

The Tremont Institute has a great "Women's Only" Backpacking weekend in the Smoky if anyone have friends that want to try it but have had doubts. I did it myself a few years ago and then took a friend that had never been backpacking before this last Sept. She had a blast!

I agree with what numerous ladies have said here.... I feel safer hiking than walking to my car some evening.

Ladies.... Keep hiking! Don't let anyone stop you from doing what you love!

~Ramona

I have hiked for 40 yrs and never had a problem with people. If someone looked sketchy, I would just say my husband (adult sons, etc.) were down the trail behind me even though I was alone. By the time they would figure it out I was long gone.
    The only really frightening experience was when I got bit by a rattlesnake. Luckily it struck the one part of my boot that was rubberized and did not fully penetrate. So I take more caution now for snakes than humans.

My stats: female, 27 yrs old.

I've been hiking alone since 2005, overnighting alone since may 2006. my first overnight was the weekend before i graduated college. on that trip... i spent the first night alone in a shelter w/ two 50 something men who were friendly and even offered me their pot. the weather crashed, the trail disappeared multiple times, i had to track like an indian to find it, and finally forded a river when the trail decided it was really done, and I took a shortcut back to the other part of the park where I hitched to the parking lot that I left my car in. it was hard, tough, scary - and i had a BLAST learning i can rely on myself to stay calm in bad conditions (44* and falling, and where's the trail??) and get back to my car. (adirondack national park)

mom thinks there's an ax murderer and a rapist behind every tree. she gives me the fear speech 100% of the time, IF i tell her ahead of time that i'm going hiking. i usually just drop off the radar and when i surface a week later, she asks "have you been backpacking?" the part that really bothers me, is if i tell her, and i politely listen to the fear speech, it RUINS my hikes. i end up with the little voice in the back of my head chittering in fear the whole time and ruining my sleep. i've learned - don't tell her ahead of time!

i've only hiked with someone a couple times... good experience but i really prefer setting my own pace and not having to make conversation if i don't want to.

my husband is 100% supportive of my hiking/snowshoeing/long distance cycling and just wants me to be in shape for it. his perspective is- i obviously know what i'm doing. if i come home alive, he gets a happy, refreshed wife. if i die, well, there's the life insurance money. either way, he wins.

I'm planning an AT2012 bid and his chief concern is missing my "companionship" while i'm gone, LOL! i told him he can come meet me in trail towns for conjugal visits. anyone else find a good solution to this wonderful dilemma?

i still haven't figured out a good way to respond to the naysayers - just that i've proven to myself i know what i'm doing.

i've also never had to deal with a creep. universally people on the trail have admired my soloing and wanted to give me food. :P

best examples:
    *first solo w/ the two older gents who shared their shelter w/ me, offered to share their marijuana, and then fed me bacon and eggs before i got underway.
    *Foothills Trail '07: trail angel gave me organic blackberries and drove me to a campground up the road w/ a shower, then drove me back to my intersection the next morning. no fear speech, just "watch your bodily mechanics out there" BEST advice ever given to me.
    *foothills trail '07: hiking past a group of skinny blond highschool xcountry runners who ignored me... then their coach asked politely "how long have you been hiking?" and when they found out I was in mile 60something of 80, they stopped to "ohmygosh" me. :P
    *various locations, rocky mountains: awesome! good for you! and commence to talk trail conditions and food.

i love hiking. i love hiking alone. i love talking to people about hiking. i do like having folk to talk to at the end of the day, even if i go back to my own campsite. i've only ever felt unsafe if i let the little voice in my head get too influenced by the fearmongers. i agree w/ the posts that they're projecting their own fears on you - you never hear it from confident soloists, do you?

Images

Parking lots are very dangerous places for ladies also. As anyone should do, just keep your wits about you, your eyes open and trust your instincts.

Safer in the woods than the city.

Sorry for the intrusion ladies, but this is the stuff I've told both my daughters while raising them. It's important to me.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Everyone always has a scenario in their head of what they would do or how they would react if they were attacked. I personally have told myself I am going to be like what a friend of mine referred to as "trying to sand-paper a wild cats end", they are going to instantly regret latching onto me, and really dread letting go........

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++