WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: REI Polar 20*

Default REI Polar 20*

Looking at this bag today..has anyone used it?? Rated at 20* and seems for 90 bucks, not bad..I know that is cheap for a 20* bag, but I ma also on a budget..Any suggestions??

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Looking at this bag today..has anyone used it?? Rated at 20* and seems for 90 bucks, not bad..I know that is cheap for a 20* bag, but I ma also on a budget..Any suggestions??

Graywolf

Sorry, 25* rating..Also looked at the Marmot Threstle 15* rating @ 99.00. Also at 3lbs 8oz..

Graywolf

Images

The Polar Pod is so bulky is will likely take up all 3000 cubic inches of most light packs. For car camping, it is a great entry level bag, but I wouldn't recommend it for backpacking.

For $30 more, you can get Campmor's Goose Down 20 degree bag, at just over half the weight and less than half the bulk.

I'm an REI employee, but for backpacking, Campmor offers a better deal than the Polar Pod.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Hike smarter, not harder.

What Bearpaw said. I got a Polar on the super clearance a few years ago for like $45, but that thing is giant.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    The Polar Pod is so bulky is will likely take up all 3000 cubic inches of most light packs. For car camping, it is a great entry level bag, but I wouldn't recommend it for backpacking.

For $30 more, you can get Campmor's Goose Down 20 degree bag, at just over half the weight and less than half the bulk.

I'm an REI employee, but for backpacking, Campmor offers a better deal than the Polar Pod.
    Thanks Bearpaw, Ill check into that Goose down..Im looking for a good bag to thru hike in case that is my future next year..

Graywolf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Thanks Bearpaw, Ill check into that Goose down..Im looking for a good bag to thru hike in case that is my future next year..

Graywolf
    If you can get past the purple color, the Campmor Goose Down seems a great bargain. I've only seen and held one, not actually slept in it, but I've heard many times from users that it is a solid bag. Certainly, from doing the math of the volume of the stuff sacks, the Campmor bag is actually about 1/3 the size of the Polar Pod. To my mind, it's worth a look.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

i had the REI polar for my cousin... i bought it becuase it was super cheap and it wasn't bad... or at least i thought it wasn't.

while it was certainly true to temperature rating and it definitely was a bargain, it was definitely compressible. the bag that it stuff into is huge and i was having difficulty cramming this monster of a bag into the stuff sac let alone into a backpack... i ended up abandoning the stuff sack in favor or just cramming teh sleeping bag into the pack hoping i could squeeze it all down there and save some pack space. didn't happen.

if i were you, i'd check out the campmor bag. a few people on here rave about it. forget teh color, who are you trying to impress in the woods anyway? its a bargain, doesn't weight that much and its compressible.

either way hyoh and best of luck

Thanks everyone..I am looking at a couple of Golite bags and even a Marmot.. I'll give the campmor bag a look..

Thanks..

Graywolf

Hike smarter, not harder.

You might check and see if Luxurylite still has their overfilled bags on closeout for $99.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Just looked at Campmors selection and They really do have some good choices..I am working at keeping not only the cost down but the weight down too.. Look like there are several to choose from..

I will give an update when I find one...

Graywolf

I don't see that the Campmor comes with a stuff sack. Any recommendations? Thx.

Also, I'm 72.5 inches. The spec says length is 80" but fits "up to 6 feet". Will this be long enough?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMiami View Post
    Also, I'm 72.5 inches. The spec says length is 80" but fits "up to 6 feet". Will this be long enough?
    Order the long version for $10 more. It will be worth it not to be crammed into a bag that is a bit too short for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMiami View Post
    I don't see that the Campmor comes with a stuff sack. Any recommendations? Thx.
    It comes with a black nylon stuff sack and a cotton storage bag.

++ New Posts ++