WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping Bags for Big Guys

I bought a mummy sleeping bag yesterday and tried it out last night. The stupid thing squashed my legs together, I ended up sleeping with one leg outside of the bag wrapped in an emergency blanket . I'm taking the damn thing back and looking for another one. I have a large frame (6'1" 295lbs) and I'm thinking about going with a rectangular bag. Does anyone think this is a good idea or have any suggestions?
    "Rocky Top, you'll always be home sweet home to me. Good ol' Rocky Top! Rocky Top Teenesee!"

Images

I'm 6'-6", 235 pounds and I understand exactly what you are saying. I started with a mummy bag and just couldn't sleep in it. I went to a rectangular bag and I sleep great now

Images

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46440
    Marmot Sawtooth 15d Long XWide or

MontBell Ultra Light Super Stretch Down Hugger #2

These bags will both fit you well. The Montbell has an update name and style, though - Superspiral or something....I cannot recall what it is right now.
    The Marmot is a tad heavier and beefier than the Montbell.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I was just reading some other post and the hikers on there were talking bout the montbell.
    "Rocky Top, you'll always be home sweet home to me. Good ol' Rocky Top! Rocky Top Teenesee!"

Images

Feathered Friends offers a rectangular bag.
    Big Agnes and Western Mountaineering also offer bags for larger guys.

Images

I'm using a Big Agnes Fish Hawk right now for summer time, thinking about picking up a Montbell soon though. I would like to try out the spiral stretch system.

Images

Big agnes fits big guys, but i like the quality of montbell, feathered friends and WM bags. also check out some different quilts, those may be the most comfortable for you.

I just got my Montbell UL Super Sprial Down #3 and love it! The elasticity is enough so that it's not pressing against you, but pulling the down in close to eliminate any cold spots! I loved my Big Agnes Lost Ranger, but it was a bit too heavy/bulky for me. I went with the Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 long, which is great but still a bit binding in the shoulders for me.

+1 for the Montbell UL Super Spiral!

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Contact the Jacks at jacksrbetter.com...They have a couple of approaches to this issue.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Check out this WM bag - I'm not small and it's kinda too big for me

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46440
    Marmot Sawtooth 15d Long XWide or

These bags will both fit you well. The Montbell has an update name and style, though - Superspiral or something....I cannot recall what it is right now.
    The Marmot is a tad heavier and beefier than the Montbell.
    I'd second the Marmot Sawtooth 15d long Xwide from Campmor a bit big for me at 6'2" 270lb but so far it's great.

-Stephen

Western Mountaineering MegaLite....I'm a big boy 6'3 and really soggy around the midsection. Plenty of room....The colder the better when I sleep....I have already had it below its recommended temp with no problems. Only 1.7lbs and smaller then a grapefruit.

Images

im 5'10 290 pounds 64 in chest...

i have four bags/quilts that i like.

i mostly use a jack r better quilt it gets me down to like 35 degrees very comfortably, its plenty wide to cover me up when i need it most and you can pull a drawstring at the top of the quilt and get it real close.

i also put a lot of nights into a sierra designs arrow rock flex 30 thats the one with the stretchy baffles on the top of the bag. very warm and very well priced.

then i also use a marmot sawtooth extra wide long. funny thing is that this bag is awesome by itself or i can actually fit and get full loft out of my sierra designs bag inside of this bag... so it offers me a lot of versatility in terms of what temp ranges i can go camping in.

there's a lot of options out there for us big guys just gotta find them

Journal Entries

Okay, I'm a big girl, not a big guy and therefore am a little smaller. But I also am going to be hiking with my dog, a rat terrier, who I plan on having sleep in the bag with me, so I definitely don't want a mummy. I opened this thread thinking I'd check out the bags you guys suggest and then realized you're suggesting down bags.

I'll allergic to down.

Any synthetic ones you guys can suggest? Thanks.
    He who forms the mountains,
    creates the wind,
    and reveals his thoughts to man,
    he who turns dawn to darkness,
    and treads the high places of the earth—
    the LORD God Almighty is his name.
    -Amos 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    Check out this WM bag - I'm not small and it's kinda too big for me
    This is really nice. Also the Badger by WM is also very nice:http://www.westernmountaineering.com...s&ContentId=50

What about Big Agnes or Montbell? I have a Montbell UL SS #2 (25 degree) bag that I LOVE. It's been my go to bag for a couple of years now. They are pricey but worth it. That said, I recently picked up one of those new 0 degree Big Agnes Primaloft bags during the REI members dividend sale. It packs down almost as small as a down bag and is almost as light when compared to other zero degree bags. Keeping in mind that the size and weight are mostly based on the fact that they leave insulation out of the bottom. However, it's still pretty light and packs pretty small for a winter bag that has lots of wiggle room. I'll know how it performs this winter when I call it to duty and if it lets me down I'll just take it back to REI.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Love my WM Megalite. Gorgeous. Made in the USA. Quilts work really well for big guys, and JRB makes great quilts.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

++ New Posts ++