WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Journal Entries
    Images

How about the guy I hiked with a few weeks back. The guy became very ill towards the middle of the second day out. He was resting on top of a mountain and told us all to go on, he would be OK and catch up later. He did not get to feeling any better and had to call for a shuttle. I think he got dehydrated, but I'm not a doctor. Anyway, sure, we would have gotten worried about him and eventually got him off the mountain, but because he had his cell phone and had reception he was able to call a shuttle and walk the short distance to the road and get back into town to recoup.

I don't leave my phone on at all times, but I definitely carry it. I call in to the wife and kids every night, if I can. I hurt no one by doing so. If I am around strangers I even go out of sight to make that phone call. It's just common courtesy. Common courtesy would go a long ways towards solving most of the earth changing issues all of you like to argue about here on WB. Think about it!!

Default cell phones on the trail

thank you Dogwood for you post. You are so totally right on in your observations about hikers. Personally, I don't think most AT hikers are truly out there for the wilderness experience. Some would probably bring a fully functional laptop if they could. Wait a sec, actually some DO.

I use the internet and email plenty. But I take it as source of pride NOT to own a cell phone. If I did, I'd leave it in the car though. I damn sure would not want it on the trail on a long distance hike. I go hiking to get away from it all, not to take it all with me. but the youth of today (teens, 20's 30's) are so connected and wired I bet the wouldn't last a day in the woods without their dear wireless where they could carry on useless cell phone banter and im their friends.

Oh, ya really gotta love this new twitter thing. "hey honey, I'm on the porch." "Honey, I am crossing my first stream now."

David

Quote Originally Posted by fw2008 View Post

If I come across another hiker "gabbing" on his or her cell phone, I would ask that person whether the call is necessary. I like to enjoy an environment away from these gadgets that have encumbered our lives so thoroughly at home and at work (and everywhere in-between).

FW
    that's really none of your business. people have the right to "gab" all they want

Images

Default Two Years

these guys were old of touch for 2 year. no phone, internet, mp3.....nothing. how did they do it??????
    hikers
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

This thread is sure full of worry about what other hikers do. I couldn't care less whether a hiker had a cell phone or not. Take care of yourself and worry less about other hikers.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    So you thought, "Hey, I'll start another one."

Yawn. Why don't we also start yet another thread about handguns?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    Yawn. Why don't we also start yet another thread about handguns?
    And marijuana....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that's really none of your business. people have the right to "gab" all they want
    Not in Baxter sp they don't.
    Enjoy the trail; one step at a time

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Sorry Lone Wolf. You're right. There's no law against using a cell phone, except in a few places (Baxter SP is one where they prohibit the use except for emergencies), and even there I think it's mainly in the park, and not on the trails.

It might bug me a bit, but in the end, all I would have to do is pass the party, and move on

Enuf said. I've been spending way too much time online. Time to get out on the trail !

FW
    Enjoy the trail; one step at a time

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I have a wife that I actually like to talk to... I'll bring my cell phone, thanks.
    Put hubby in place of wife and you have my take.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    I keep my horse deep in my pack........

Hmmm I have several horsepower in my pack and....

The cell phone is clearly my tether to my wife....

Make sure you can run to the end of your leash and bark....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Doesn't this fall under the umbrella of HYOH?

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes........................................
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

It's like walking in the mall, except there are trees!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    This thread is sure full of worry about what other hikers do. I couldn't care less whether a hiker had a cell phone or not. Take care of yourself and worry less about other hikers.
    While I agree with your overall philosophy and I mean no offense to you, but...... I'll bet you wouldn't say that if someone didn't respect your privacy while they were talking "softly" on a cell phone while your trying to hike the AT.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    While I agree with your overall philosophy and I mean no offense to you, but...... I'll bet you wouldn't say that if someone didn't respect your privacy while they were talking "softly" on a cell phone while your trying to hike the AT.
    I take no offense. But you would lose that bet. Its not something that I see worth getting bent out of shape over and I just dont see it as disrespecting my privacy if someone is talking on their cell phone around me.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Out of the 1400 or so miles of the trail I've hiked I don't think I've ever passed anybody on the trail talking on their cell phones.

I can't recall but a few times I've seen people using a cell phone other than in town/at a store or a trailhead.

Even I, the one who carries an extra battery and leaves his phone on most of the time, only use the phone a few minutes a day at most.

It's not about talking on the phone and sending texts all day like a crackhead who can't leave technology behind.

It's about:

A) Being available to those at home in case of an emergency

B) Being accessible to my company so the business can operate smoothly in my physical absence. I am, quite literally, making hay while the sun shines. In 2 years, when I turn 50, I plan to retire from the rat race.

Being able to retire when most people are still tethered to credit card bills, mortgages and car payments in exchange for working hard for a few years is a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I take no offense. But you would lose that bet. Its not something that I see worth getting bent out of shape over and I just dont see it as disrespecting my privacy if someone is talking on their cell phone around me.
    Okay, Thanks for responding Tuckahoe64 to my statement, fair enough of an answer.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I have a wife that I actually like to talk to... I'll bring my cell phone, thanks.
    Ah, rather than the cell phone, why not bring your wife?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Ah, rather than the cell phone, why not bring your wife?
    She's not a hiker, though we have done a couple of trips together over the years.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++