WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

"Can you hear me now?"

My pet theory is that they all secretly work for Verizon Wireless as quality of service testers. As they are too lazy to actually go to a location themselves to test the service, they are getting us to help them fill out their reports. This way they can stay in starbucks all day without their boss catching on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I think it ironic that those who seek to connect with the wilderness by hiking often find they have a very hard time disconnecting themselves from that which they are trying to escape! It points to the fact that humans are creatures of habit. We have addictions, obsessions. No doubt cell phone use is one of those obsessions!

Not everyone who hikes or backpacks is looking for an escape though. Living in the digital world means balance. You have to find balance with nature and your personal life. I go backpacking to enjoy the outdoors, not to escape from the city, or to escape from my work life. I go because I want to get outside and recreate.

A cell phone won't ruin anyone's back country experience, people do.

Quote Originally Posted by RollingStone View Post
    Not everyone who hikes or backpacks is looking for an escape though. Living in the digital world means balance. You have to find balance with nature and your personal life. I go backpacking to enjoy the outdoors, not to escape from the city, or to escape from my work life. I go because I want to get outside and recreate.

Very similar to what I was going to say. I'm not looking to escape... I'm perfectly happy with cell phones and email and websites and the digital world. I just also love the woods. These two things do not need to be completely separate.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

As one of the conditions, as set by my wife, for my planned through hike next year is that I have to bring a phone. I hate my cell phone and it usually stays lost for days at a time but if having one will make her happy then I will carry one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Yep, just look at that mug!

Now my feelings are hurt - that seems like a personal attack.

It's a great day to be alive !

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Why are you obsessed with people obsessing about cell phones?
    Not obsessed - confused.

Images

My blackberry 8530, with extra capacity batts, couple of different micro SD cards does the following items:

1. MP3 player
    2. Have all of my mail drop, shuttle and town info stored in PDF files
    3. Also has WiFi, allows me to upload my photos to Picasa at a hot spot
    4. Also is my GPS (which is independent of the phone)
    5. Keeps my trail journals, which then get uploaded to our stand alone Wordpress Blog
    6. Allows me to record voice logs, and attach them to my Wodpress posts
    7. Allows me to take photos of certain spots and Geotag them for later reference
    8. Allows me to listen to Nascar on Sundays
    9. Allows me to find any Major League baseball game and listen to it live
    10. Keeps me in communication with my wife and family
    11. Serves as an e-book reader

Backpacking anywhere is about the experience you as the individual perceive it to be. I happen to enjoy taking a break and listening to a ball game. I've known people to take AM radios into the woods to do the same thing. THAT enhances my own experience.

I'll be doing my thru with my 17 year old. Having all my info with me will help me simplify and keep track of what I need to for two people.

I like having an mp3 player to walk by every once in awhile,

I like running GPS routes and waypoints for certain things.

I like not having pen and paper to do a trail journal. I like being able to upload my journal in real time.

My cell phone with it's charger, extra capacity batts, and the unit itself is 8 ounces. It enhances my experience on trips in a variety of ways. I suspect that for many other people it will enhance their trip in some significant way and having the signals available just might be part of their plan.

Me? If I dont have signal, I'll just roll on until I do. Since I can do what I need to by either WiFi or 3G, it doesn't matter to me. But I do know that just because someone has a cell phone with them in the woods doesn't mean they aren't enjoying the experience any less than if they had left it at home.

I would recommend Myrtle Beach as a vacation for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walkin' Dude View Post
    It's a generation thing. Notice all the 50+'s agreeing with the OP.

I don't need a cell phone, but it's nice and considerate to keep in touch with loved ones. Also, with features such as camera, GPS, mp3, notepad...wow there goes 4 things I don't have to carry because my phone is all of them.

Until I need to use it, generally in town, I store the phone and battery separately. This saves power that can be lost as "phantom power" even when the phone is off. <--- Helpful Hint.
    Yeah, I use all that stuff on my phone too - not bad for an old geezer, huh? I just don't need it when I'm on the trail, and don't worry about whether I'm going to be able to or not. My wife knows I'll call her when I get OFF the trail.

I would recommend Myrtle Beach as a vacation for you.
    You post a question which invites discussion, then you retort with some silly smart aleck comment?

This is pretty much inline with my last post about how people's experiences get ruined.

Images

[QUOTE=RollingStone;1010040]Not everyone who hikes or backpacks is looking for an escape though. Living in the digital world means balance. You have to find balance with nature and your personal life. I go backpacking to enjoy the outdoors, not to escape from the city, or to escape from my work life. I go because I want to get outside and recreate.

A cell phone won't ruin anyone's back country experience, people do.[/QUOTE]

People with cell phones do . . .

Images

You post a question which invites discussion, then you retort with some silly smart aleck comment?

This is pretty much inline with my last post about how people's experiences get ruined.

I'm sorry - I forgot this . . .

sheesh

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I have a friend here in town who brags about not having a cell phone.

He's on the internet a good part of the day and checks his email constantly though....

I carry my cell phone for contacting my loving husband when possible so he doesn't worry as much. Also you never know when you may need help. It stays turned off unless I am checking in. He also likes to hear how the day went for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    "Can you hear me now?"

My pet theory is that they all secretly work for Verizon Wireless as quality of service testers. As they are too lazy to actually go to a location themselves to test the service, they are getting us to help them fill out their reports. This way they can stay in starbucks all day without their boss catching on.
    Well, last summer we shared Spence Field shelter with 3 guys who were engineers for Altell. They designed the phones.

Sounds like the alcoholic telling folks why he doesn't really need to drink, he just seeks balance in the world he lives and alcohol helps him find that balance. You talk about living in a digital world and finding balance, but what kind of balance is that when you can't even envsion your life without a cell phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Sounds like the alcoholic telling folks why he doesn't really need to drink, he just seeks balance in the world he lives and alcohol helps him find that balance. You talk about living in a digital world and finding balance, but what kind of balance is that when you can't even envsion your life without a cell phone?
    What kind of balance is that when you can't even envision going hiking with a cell phone?
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

[QUOTE=10-K;1009881] I need to be accessible to all of them.

QUOTE]

No, actually you don't. Neither does anyone else. The cell phone has created this expectation of people, turning a somewhat useful tool into an instrument of enslavement.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I have a friend here in town who brags about not having a cell phone.

He's on the internet a good part of the day and checks his email constantly though....
    There's a guy like that in Damascus!
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    There's a guy like that in Damascus!
    Really!!! What's his name ?
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    Got on here this morning and noticed several threads regarding information on cell phone signals at different places along the trail.

Why the obsession? Turn your cell phone off, or don't take it. Cell phones are a fairly recent invention, people survived without them for many years. You don't need it. You might be surprised how much nicer your experience is without it.

P.S. - yes, I take mine along on my section hikes. It is off and deep in my pack. If I need it, it's there. If I don't get a signal when I need it, I'll figure something else out. It doesn't concern me.

That is all . . .
    Great post! I'm gonna be in Vermont on the AT for a couple of weeks, can't wait to hear all the cell phones at night,"yea, mom, I'm okay, no need to worry, no big animals attacked me today"!!! Good lord, put the damn things away and please don't use them with other people around.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++