WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Why the obsession with cell phone signals?

Got on here this morning and noticed several threads regarding information on cell phone signals at different places along the trail.

Why the obsession? Turn your cell phone off, or don't take it. Cell phones are a fairly recent invention, people survived without them for many years. You don't need it. You might be surprised how much nicer your experience is without it.

P.S. - yes, I take mine along on my section hikes. It is off and deep in my pack. If I need it, it's there. If I don't get a signal when I need it, I'll figure something else out. It doesn't concern me.

That is all . . .
    It's a great day to be alive !

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    Got on here this morning and noticed several threads regarding information on cell phone signals at different places along the trail. . .
    So you thought, "Hey, I'll start another one."

Dork . . . .

Images

Got on here this morning and noticed several threads regarding information on cell phone signals at different places along the trail.

Why the obsession? Turn your cell phone off, or don't take it. Cell phones are a fairly recent invention, people survived without them for many years. You don't need it. You might be surprised how much nicer your experience is without it.

P.S. - yes, I take mine along on my section hikes. It is off and deep in my pack. If I need it, it's there. If I don't get a signal when I need it, I'll figure something else out. It doesn't concern me.

That is all . . .
    I totally agree with you, however some people need/like to keep in touch with their families (wife and kids). I too keep mine deep in the pack. In the evenings I like to call to check on my daughters and wife. I also like to send pictures to let other people see what they are missing. But I agree, during the day it is off in the depths of my pack.

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

What's a "cell phone"?
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

That is all . . .
    I have a wife that I actually like to talk to... I'll bring my cell phone, thanks.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

I'm one who's asked, so maybe I can help. It's not so much obsession, as common courtesy. I hike alone, generally; my wife isn't interested in long-distance hikes. (Long distance to her is anything over a couple of miles, and camping is out of the question) But she's happy to send me out, and to facilitate those hikes.

I carry my phone to check in with her from time to time. I did hike before cell, and it made her a little apprehensive. I check ahead for cell coverage so we can plan for areas where I can't call. If she's expecting a call and doesn't get it, she worries. If she knows signals are compromised, she knows I'll call when I can.

So, my posts are for planning purposes only. A section hikers perspective.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Why do people drive cars, we walked and rode horses for tens of thousands of years....

Without the cell phone, I wouldn't be hiking. Mine stays on most of the time and within reach.

I've got a wife, 3 kids and a business. I need to be accessible to all of them.

In a few years I hope to retire and scratch the business off the list but I'll still keep a phone handy for the family.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    I'm one who's asked, so maybe I can help. It's not so much obsession, as common courtesy. I hike alone, generally; my wife isn't interested in long-distance hikes. (Long distance to her is anything over a couple of miles, and camping is out of the question) But she's happy to send me out, and to facilitate those hikes.

I carry my phone to check in with her from time to time. I did hike before cell, and it made her a little apprehensive. I check ahead for cell coverage so we can plan for areas where I can't call. If she's expecting a call and doesn't get it, she worries. If she knows signals are compromised, she knows I'll call when I can.

So, my posts are for planning purposes only. A section hikers perspective.
    Ditto. One thing that has helped me alot is texting. Even if I don't have enough signal to complete a call, I can usually get a text to the wife even if I only have "one bar".

When mamma worries I end up hearing about it when I get home and am less likely to pull off another trip in the future.

Default Let Me Consult the DSM.........

Why the obsession? .......
    Sort of like fire to the caveman, stars to Copernicus, or the carbon filament to Edison I suppose.

2010 complete

My guess is that some parents and loved ones insist on it as a condition for hiking. Maybe others rely on it for scheduling shuttles when through. I have come out at road crossings and people are in a jam because of their lack of AT&T coverage. I let them borrow mine.
    I consider it part as my first aid kit. I try not to turn it on because I don't even want to know the time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Why do people drive cars, we walked and rode horses for tens of thousands of years....
    I keep my horse deep in my pack........
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Let's be honest..the simple reason that people carry cell phones, tracking devices, etc. is that as society we are used to 24/7 connectivity...and we (and our families) expect and want this connectivity in the woods, too.
    Good? Bad? Dunno. It is a societal shift that is changing our jobs, recreation and other daily activities.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

That is all . . .

My blackberry 8530, with extra capacity batts, couple of different micro SD cards does the following items:

1. MP3 player
    2. Have all of my mail drop, shuttle and town info stored in PDF files
    3. Also has WiFi, allows me to upload my photos to Picasa at a hot spot
    4. Also is my GPS (which is independent of the phone)
    5. Keeps my trail journals, which then get uploaded to our stand alone Wordpress Blog
    6. Allows me to record voice logs, and attach them to my Wodpress posts
    7. Allows me to take photos of certain spots and Geotag them for later reference
    8. Allows me to listen to Nascar on Sundays
    9. Allows me to find any Major League baseball game and listen to it live
    10. Keeps me in communication with my wife and family
    11. Serves as an e-book reader

Backpacking anywhere is about the experience you as the individual perceive it to be. I happen to enjoy taking a break and listening to a ball game. I've known people to take AM radios into the woods to do the same thing. THAT enhances my own experience.

I'll be doing my thru with my 17 year old. Having all my info with me will help me simplify and keep track of what I need to for two people.

I like having an mp3 player to walk by every once in awhile,

I like running GPS routes and waypoints for certain things.

I like not having pen and paper to do a trail journal. I like being able to upload my journal in real time.

My cell phone with it's charger, extra capacity batts, and the unit itself is 8 ounces. It enhances my experience on trips in a variety of ways. I suspect that for many other people it will enhance their trip in some significant way and having the signals available just might be part of their plan.

Me? If I dont have signal, I'll just roll on until I do. Since I can do what I need to by either WiFi or 3G, it doesn't matter to me. But I do know that just because someone has a cell phone with them in the woods doesn't mean they aren't enjoying the experience any less than if they had left it at home.

Garlic
    Images

...You don't need it. You might be surprised how much nicer your experience is without it...
    I'm with you on this one. One of the greatest pleasures of hiking, for me, is getting away from phones. I love technology, even made my living at it, but it sure is nice to get away from it sometimes and breathe a little sigh of relief.

But that's just me, and it doesn't bother me at all if others want a different experience. Just because I like to walk and bicycle around town, for instance, I'm not going to tell my neighbors they can't drive their cars to the grocery store. Whatever we think isn't going to make any difference, anyway. Might as well wish the tide won't come in.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    What's a "cell phone"?
    i ain't got one. never will

That is all . . .

Why are you obsessed with people obsessing about cell phones?
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Why are you obsessed with people obsessing about cell phones?
    Yep, just look at that mug!

Images

It's a generation thing. Notice all the 50+'s agreeing with the OP.

I don't need a cell phone, but it's nice and considerate to keep in touch with loved ones. Also, with features such as camera, GPS, mp3, notepad...wow there goes 4 things I don't have to carry because my phone is all of them.

Until I need to use it, generally in town, I store the phone and battery separately. This saves power that can be lost as "phantom power" even when the phone is off. <--- Helpful Hint.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

I think it ironic that those who seek to connect with the wilderness by hiking often find they have a very hard time disconnecting themselves from that which they are trying to escape! It points to the fact that humans are creatures of habit. We have addictions, obsessions. No doubt cell phone use is one of those obsessions!

And, yeah, despite many of the excuses like a cell ph is only for emergencies, etc, MUCH cell ph use is about mindless mundane trivial chatter or trying to alleviate someone else's fears of the big bad wilderness.

I have ample opportunity to observe how folks hike. I learn much about human behavior by doing this and can often tell by how folks behave while hiking how they are likely to behave while not hiking or being out on the trail. Hiking tourists in National Parks are a great example. They take a shotgun approach to hiking just like they lead their lives off the trail. I strongly suspect that hikers that have a hard time slowing down and drinking in the amazing scenery also lead their family and career lives this way too. People just can't focus. It's like the masses have Attention Deficit Disorder. They have to be doing a thousand tasks at once because that's what they are accustomed to and it shows up in thier hiking, which could be so much more if they only learned to let go of their non-trail life habits. I strongly suspect that hikers who approach their hikes with the attitude - if it's worth doing it's worth doing fast - lead ther lives off the trail the same way. I experience MANY hikers who have the hardest time quieting their minds. It's as if they hike like they are racing to a checkered flag. I suspect they are living their lives off the trail the same way. Often, I find similarities to how people hike with how they drive automobiles too. They might not realize it but they hike agressively with their egos on full tilt just like they drive their cars.

The obssession with cell phone use while on the trail is VERY MUCH a continuation of the same obssession with cell ph use while not hiking!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++