WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default VA Rte. 635 (Stony Creek Valley)

Some friends of mine and I are hiking on the AT from VA Rte. 635 (Stony Creek Valley) to Bland. Can anyone tell me the condition of Rte. 635? Is this road easily accesible by car, or does one need an SUV? is this a dirt road? Thanks!
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

In general, I believe Rt. 635 is passable for the average car. It's a gravel road but in pretty good condition. You pick it up out of Pembrook east of Pearisburg. Hopefully some locals will weigh in on its current condition. You could send a PM to Ratfaceraines; he does shuttles in the area and is shuttling me on my Allegheny Trail (ALT) hike week-after-next. In hiking south on the AT from that point, you'll pass the southern terminus of the ALT.

Thanks Cookerhiker! Hey, I think I might have met you at the 2007 Soruck. Might have been 2006.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    Thanks Cookerhiker! Hey, I think I might have met you at the 2007 Soruck. Might have been 2006.
    Inasmuch as my first Ruck was '08, then it probably wasn't the aforementioned years. OTOH, the '08 Ruck occurred only 2 weeks after CY '07 so maybe it was then. Anyway, good luck on your hike. I enjoyed that section of Virginia even with hiking the Bland-to-Pearisburg stretch in the dead of winter. And when I hiked around Stony Creek in beautiful spring weather, the bridge was out necessitating a rather cold ford.

Hey, I'm going to be hiking in that area in a couple of weeks myself. Anyone know the water situation? I assume it's good, looks fairly plentiful on the maps and so forth, but the woods are getting a little dry in Central Va despite all the rain and snow we had.

That's a good point because Creek Dancer's hike is entirely along ridgeline except for the drop into Pearisburg. I recall that stretch being pretty dry.

Thanks for pointing that out you guys. We will be sure to have plenty of water.

Press, I will let you know the water conditions along this stretch when I get back from Trail Daze.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    That's a good point because Creek Dancer's hike is entirely along ridgeline except for the drop into Pearisburg. I recall that stretch being pretty dry.
    I need to correct this. The high & dry ridgeline is more from the initial ascent up Peters Mountain (up from Pine Swamp Branch Shelter) to Pearisburg and up Angels Rest to around Doc's Knob Shelter. I recall more water sources south of Doc's Knob. I hiked that portion mostly in snow which perhaps colors my memory but there were some stream crossings and the Trail follows Dismal Creek part of the route.

Rt 635 is a paved road the whole way. It is accessible by any vehicle. Its been a few years but I recall the ridge walk on Peters Mtn to be completely dry with the exception of one frog pond we filtered water from around rice fields. Although if you start on rt 635 you will skip Peters Mtn.

check that if you are going south you will cross peters mtn. I was thinking north bound

Thanks tenbeer! My son is shuttling us and I was concerned about the condition of the road.

++ New Posts ++