Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default sexism on the trail?

What are your experiences with sexism on the trail? How do you deal with the sexist comments and attitudes of some male hikers?

I have been disappointed by how much sexism - both latent and obvious - that exists on the trail, especially with young thru-hikers.

As a dude, other dudes that are like that have always made me uncomfortable at the very least, but I haven't seen much of it, if any. . . most of the dude's I've met out there are just good folk, respectful enough, but there are a few of the pink blazer types that are just downright repulsive. . . they are few and far between and the rest of the trail community has a way of helping our sisters out there steer clear of them. . . .
    At least that's what I like to believe. . .

Oh! I didn't mean to imply that most men on the trail aren't great - most are! I hope I didn't come across as combative

But my handful of experiences with less respectable guys have been really startling. I think they make a big impression on me because I never expect to encounter any sexism at all on the trail (I know this is naive to think... you find all kinds in all places)...

Quote Originally Posted by redparade View Post
    Oh! I didn't mean to imply that most men on the trail aren't great - most are! I hope I didn't come across as combative
    Not at all. . . it's a good question and I'm guessing many of the ladies have a different experience with this than I do. . . which is horribly unfortunate. . . but the good guys watch out for our sisters. . .

What are your experiences with sexism on the trail? How do you deal with the sexist comments and attitudes of some male hikers?

I have been disappointed by how much sexism - both latent and obvious - that exists on the trail, especially with young thru-hikers.

girl, those kind of men are everywhere, the trail too. i don't often experience it on the trail but when i usually just ignore it cause i really don't care about whatever their problem is. it only affects you if you let it. if it's excessive i'll outright tell them to flip off.

I hope I didn't come across as combative --redparade
    First, don't apologize for telling it like it is, redparade. That only attracts Neanderthals to you (with apologies to the GEICO Neanderthals).

There are many fine men, young and not so young, who have been paying attention for a long time and who treat women as equals (occasionally, as superiors). Seek them out. Don't waste time trying to enlighten anyone on the Trail. A simple reply, a disgusted look, maybe...then move on.

Hike smarter, not harder.

What can you say, for the most part, we're raising a graceless generation.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

The terms "sexist" and "sexism" can be somewhat vague. It's common usage can change from one generation to the next, or at least from one context to the next. It can mean something different, for example, when applied in a social non-workplace context than in a workplace context. What does it mean in the context of this thread?

Fight the power!

Yep, I'm fed-up with all the women thinking they are superior to men.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Perhaps some examples to which you are referring would of help?
    Is it a sly look or comment?
    Not putting the outhouse seat down?
    Is it comments about women in general?
    Is it male cameradery and joshing in the shelter at night that you feel left out of?
    Is it being hit on? (Which really isn't a bad thing or there'd be no one left, right?? )
    Or hit on repeatedly?
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Even though the OP was vague, I think she deserves the benefit of doubt. No doubt, some bad behaviour exists which she has termed sexist. She wasn't entirely vague either, because she refered specifically to younger hikers. I think we should give the lady an opportunity to provide some clarity without being presumptious. I do not doubt she has legitimate concerns. I would like to know what they are, particularly because she is of a younger generation than myself and I have a daughter that is considerably younger than her. It is good to learn what you can to break down these barriers.

It is true that sometimes "sexist" just means "shy, awkward, and unpopular", whereas some real sexist ******** can be extremely popular with some ladies, but that might be a discussion for a different thread.

J.D.Salinger R.I.P.

Toolshed, JAK - here is an example from my own experiences: a group of 20-somethings in a shelter at night dropping jokes and anecdotes at the expense of women. This ranges from sexual objectification, to general negativity (regarding things like women's intelligence or mental toughness, for example), to putting down a particular (absent) female hiker. It's definitely used as a tool to establish comraderie. But to clarify: although it is difficult to really join the conversation in these situations, my issue doesn't have to do with feeling secluded - I'm not particularly talkative in general.

bulldog - yes, sexism works both ways. Ideally, no individual would treat any other individual as inferior because of gender (or race, or average mileage, or education level...). It's frustrating in all instances.

Give the ladies some room, guys. Or dudes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Even though the OP was vague, I think she deserves the benefit of doubt.
    Hope you aren't referring to me JAK. I am just trying to understand this better - So when someone brings the subject up, I think it is fair to ask for more details or information.
    I don't think I am sexist (though my frame of reference leans to the insensitive side), but I am sure others might, both male and female....

I recall there was a thinly veiled attack on men from a woman in this thread 2-3 years ago - She had a lot of folks thinking she was the victim, but I think a few started to wise up to her after a bit.....Last I recalled she ended up making her trailname one that means a bizarre sexual act just before she quit the trail. But I think her issues were much broader than this one subject. Anyways, I digress. Apologies......
    PS Redparade - This isn't meant to be comparative to you.... or an accusation towards you in any manner...
    Last edited by Toolshed; 05-08-2010 at 15:16. Reason: PS
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Thanks Redparade, I understand where you are coming from now. Each on thier own probably wouldn't be so bold to say the stuff they were saying, but once crowd mentality takes over or safety in the crowd rears its head, their manners tend to 0 out quickly.

Unfortunately it isn't just sexism, as it happens to those of the same sex, or simply those who are different....

Some more clarification: I'm not referring to a guy checking out or hitting on a woman. These behaviors go both ways on the trail, I think, and the appropiateness can't be judged in a general way.

My concern is the men who find it difficult to see past a woman's gender, and defaultly attach negativity to the gender. I had thought I would escape these sorts of attitudes on the trail, but have been dissapointed to be proven wrong by a handful of instances.

Just wanted to say thanks to redparade for the clarity. As an older father I've been out of the loop for awhile, and it is helpful to know what sort of crap my daughter might still be up against as she gets older. I agree though, with GGS2, that this is a topic best left for the ladies, otherwise it would have been posted in the open forum. Sorry for the intrusion.

No I wasn't Toolshed. Your post jumped in as I was writing mine. Sorry about that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++