WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default upgrading a tent from fiberglass to aluminum poles

a friend of mine was wondering about upgrading his fiberglass poles on his
    eureka tent to aluminum poles is this possible and if so does anyone know where to buy the poles from?? im sure it will be more than the tent cost to do it but he is dead set on having his tent for a long time so he feels it would be worth it to switch them out
    any info would be great
    thanks
    divr6347

There are company's out there that sell all kinds of pole parts and string that he could just remake them and probly with a Eureka do it for under 45$. . . I have a Eurkea Solitaire and have considered the same thing. . .

Images
    The journey of 10,000 miles, begins with the first step.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by divr6347 View Post
    a friend of mine was wondering about upgrading his fiberglass poles on his
    eureka tent to aluminum poles is this possible and if so does anyone know where to buy the poles from?? im sure it will be more than the tent cost to do it but he is dead set on having his tent for a long time so he feels it would be worth it to switch them out
    any info would be great
    thanks
    divr6347
    What's the goal here? Tents with FG are usually constructed cheaper in other ways besides the poles and mahketed towards a less adventuresome customer and may include heavier zippers, fewer stitches per inch, fewer guyouts, fewer passcoats of PU, and finally tent, fly material that might not be as strong or as resilient as their AL Tent Lines.

You can try Eureka tent outlet in Comklin NY (888-6-Eureka) for poles, or ask them about class A Close-outs - They might be even cheaper than a set of poles.
    http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/about.asp?s_id=0
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    What's the goal here?
    It seems pretty obvious the person likes their tent and wants to replace the poles with something stronger. . .

You can try Eureka tent outlet in Comklin NY (888-6-Eureka) for poles, or ask them about class A Close-outs - They might be even cheaper than a set of poles.
    http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/about.asp?s_id=0
    Nope, I've checked it out, new poles are cheaper and a better idea if existing tent is in good shape. . .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    It seems pretty obvious the person likes their tent and wants to replace the poles with something stronger. . .

Nope, I've checked it out, new poles are cheaper and a better idea if existing tent is in good shape. . .
    LOOK!!! I am not even going to argue with a logic from machine since you obviously do not exist in a carbon life form.... (Dwight told me once that you machines would start talking one day...) So F4 Off!!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

:d:d . . . . . .

Those are spose ta be smilies. . . . like this. . . (I hope) . . .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Those are spose ta be smilies. . . . like this. . . (I hope) . . .
    Grrrrr..........

Just kidding there Warrrrrrrrrggggghhhhighghghhhrgghhgihigygy

I think I get where you are coming from Toolshed by asking - What are your goals with this tent by going to aluminum poles. Warraghiyagey(hope I spelled that right), it may be that the OP is "upgrading" to the aluminum poles because he thinks they are stronger but since he doesn't exactly say that he may be doing it for another reason. For example, some go to aluminum poles tent poles to save wt, or because of durability, or some other issue. As Toolshed stated most tents, including some less expensive Eureka models, that come with stock fiberglass poles are all around heavier in wt. or less durable or of not the the highest quality in terms of construction, design, and materials. In other words depending on the goals of the OP it just might be wiser to buy a new tent rather than splurge for aluminum tent poles.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I think I get where you are coming from Toolshed by asking - What are your goals with this tent by going to aluminum poles. Warraghiyagey(hope I spelled that right), it may be that the OP is "upgrading" to the aluminum poles because he thinks they are stronger but since he doesn't exactly say that he may be doing it for another reason. For example, some go to aluminum poles tent poles to save wt, or because of durability, or some other issue. As Toolshed stated most tents, including some less expensive Eureka models, that come with stock fiberglass poles are all around heavier in wt. or less durable or of not the the highest quality in terms of construction, design, and materials. In other words depending on the goals of the OP it just might be wiser to buy a new tent rather than splurge for aluminum tent poles.
    Yup... That's what I meant (I took the shortcut there) thank you

(I took the shortcut there)
    . . .

++ New Posts ++