WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default compression sack for a sleeping bag

I have a cheap 5lb. 20degree rated sleeping bag that even when rolled up is huge! I would like to be able to fit it into the bottom compartment of my internal frame pack. Would a good compression sack really make enough difference or just a little?

It may, but it may also damage the synthetic insulation.

Sorry for offering a recommendation you did not seek, but I recommend buying a lightweight and more compressible bag if you can afford it at this time. Here's a very nice deal ($80 and free shipping) on a sub 3 pound down bag rated at 25F from Kelty:

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/KLTBC25R.html

If you can't cram it in there now a compression sack isn't going to do much better. I have a hard enough time getting my 2 pound bag in the bottom compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly bear 336 View Post
    I have a cheap 5lb. 20degree rated sleeping bag that even when rolled up is huge! I would like to be able to fit it into the bottom compartment of my internal frame pack. Would a good compression sack really make enough difference or just a little?
    Before I started into serious lightening of my pack, I used to use them. However, for the amount of good they do, they are usually very heavy. They have to have excess fabric, just to get the bag in and then most of them have laces or something similar - more weight...

Another cheap&light bag is the Eureka Casper 15F $65 an up online compresses pretty small and pretty warm too..

Doing a free stuff is better. A compression sack won't allow the bag to mold itself into every nook and cranny inside your pack.

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

For the amount of money spent on a compression sack, it would be more economical to get a new sleeping bag with compression sack included.

I've seen cheap sleeping bags with compression sack for as low as 35.00.
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Before I started into serious lightening of my pack, I used to use them. However, for the amount of good they do, they are usually very heavy. They have to have excess fabric, just to get the bag in and then most of them have laces or something similar - more weight...
    I used to use my old Granite Gear compression sack. Damn thing weighed almost a pound.

Of course, the bag it compressed weighed about five.

Images

I just started to just put it in bottom of pack no sack at all more room and easier to pack things around
    Please remember the brave men and women of our armed services Without them we would not have the freedom to walk across this great nation.

Two posters advocated placing your sleeping bag inside your backpack without use of a compression sack. I agree, but would also add that you should first place the sleeping bag in a plastic bag, such as a garbage bag or a trash compactor bag, then place those in bottom of backpack. The plastic bag will keep your sleeping bag dry. After adding other items to your backpack those will compress your sleeping bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bwgride View Post
    Two posters advocated placing your sleeping bag inside your backpack without use of a compression sack. I agree, but would also add that you should first place the sleeping bag in a plastic bag, such as a garbage bag or a trash compactor bag, then place those in bottom of backpack. The plastic bag will keep your sleeping bag dry. After adding other items to your backpack those will compress your sleeping bag.
    Sorry I forgot to add I do line my pack with trash compactor bag oops
    Please remember the brave men and women of our armed services Without them we would not have the freedom to walk across this great nation.

To help answer your direct question, IMO, a properly sized compression sack will make a significant difference in the packed sleeping bag size, up to 30% smaller. It is not great long term for your bag, but you can buy light weight ones. I have a couple from REI brand that are nice, and light.

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately, since you posted that, the price has gone up to $134! Though that would have been a good option, it's a bit to expensive. I am looking for that type of bag for around $50-$60 if possible. If that bag was still for sale for $80, I would probably buy it now. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    For the amount of money spent on a compression sack, it would be more economical to get a new sleeping bag with compression sack included.

I've seen cheap sleeping bags with compression sack for as low as 35.00.

I bought a 30 degree bag in a compression sack for $40 on sale at Cabelas last year. It weighs 2 pounds and will compress to the size of a football. I don't use the compression sack though, I just stuff the bag into my pack however it will fit.

Images

My cats meow bag came with it's own compression sack. It compresses it about half of what I can just "stuff" alone, small enough to fit in the bottom hole of my Deuter pack. I haven't tried just shoving the whole thing in without the bag. I didn't want to put that much stress on the zippers of the sleeping bag section. They look pretty robust, though.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Duplicate post.
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-13-2012 at 14:05.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

It's better to get a bigger pack than to crush your belongings. Compression sacks do just that. Plus they make your pack lumpy and leave lots of unused space between the sacks. I hike with a frameless pack and dropped the idea of tight stuff sacks in a hurry when I stopped using a frame. All of those lumps were uncomfortable. I switched to trash bags and oversized stuff sacks and my pack now carries more with less effort and more comfort.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I tried my Deuter air contact 75/85 with my cats meow last week with NO compression sack. It fit in the sleeping bag hole fine. I had one zipper try to jam up with the bag fabric. I had to hold my finger inside as I zipped, to keep the bag out of the zipper. I guess I could just shove it all in from the top. The pack did fill out better though.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

maybe just drag it behind you like Linuslinus.jpeg

Images

Five pound sleeping bag really seems like a lot.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++