WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Question Thoughts On Route Choices For MultiDay Backpack ...

Hello all! Would like to say how glad I am to have found this wonderful site! My family {Wife & Son} and I are planing a 5 day trip to the Smokies in mid June. We have returned to hiking in the past year after being away for many. It has been 20 years since I was last at GSMNP. Although we are not in awesome shape, we are not in the worst shape. I am wanting a route that is challenging without being too much so and that offers a nice selection of terrain and scenery. I am well aware of elevation gain and the fact that it can be a bigger factor then distance covered. With that said, here are the two routes I am considering:

1. Clingmans Dome ==> AT ==> Silers Bald: stay the night at Silers shelter
    2. Silers ==> Welch Ridge Trail
    3. Welch Ridge Trail ==> Jonas Creek Trail: stay the night at camp 70
    4. 70 ==> Forney Creek Trail: stay a night or two at either camp 69 or 68
    5. 69/68 ==> Forney Ridge Trail ==> Andrews Bald
    6. Andrews ==> Back to Clingmans Dome

OR

1. Newfound Gap ==> AT ==> Sweat Heifer Creek Trail: stay the night at Kephart shelter
    2. Kephart shelter ==> Kephart Prong Trail
    3. Kephart Prong Trail ==> Dry Sluice Gap Trail ==> Charlies Bunion
    4. Charlies Bunion ==> Icewater Spring shelter: stay the night
    5. Icewater Spring ==> AT ==> Newfound Gap
    ** Maybe a run down the boulevard over to Le Conte if we could arrange for a shuttle.

Like I said before, we have 5 days and 4 nights to work with.

I would prefer the first route but I do have some concerns about the ft elevation gain when coming up Forney Creek. We could do that over a couple of days though. Any thoughts on these two routes or descriptions of the trails involved would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all so much in advance!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Maybe a combination of the AT, BMT, and the MST.

Mt LeConte would be a good family trip. Staying at the cabins at the top.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Thank you for the reply. What are the BMT & MST?

Quote Originally Posted by sevensixtwo187 View Post
    Thank you for the reply. What are the BMT & MST?
    BMT is the Benton MacKaye Trail and the MST is the Mountains to Sea Trail, Both nice trails worth considering. You can do a loop hike in the Smokies on them, utilizing the Appalachian Trail..Very worth looking into..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

The BMT would have you down on the Lakeshore and you can start on some relatively flat area and end on the climbs if you go from Fontana to Smokemont.

Sort of depends on what kind of mileage you want for each day.

www.bmta.org
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

I will have a look at those on the map tonight when I get home for sure. I still am tending towards the two I posted but once I check the map I may very well change my mind.

I will have a look at those on the map tonight when I get home for sure. I still am tending towards the two I posted but once I check the map I may very well change my mind.
    There are so many cnonnecting trails in that country for me, it would be hard to decide on whoch one, but good luck..

Google some of the trails. the BMT has a website with downloadable and printable maps, very good site..

Graywolf

Images

Graywolf I know what you mean. There are just so many. I really like what I would call the "Silers Bald" loop. That is the first one I described. I am just trying to make sure it is not too ambitious for us.

Images

O..K.. ???

Default Newfound Gap to Fontana Village

You may want to look at Southbounding the AT from Newfound Gap to Fontana Village. It may require some shuttling, but this section will give you a taste of pretty much everything the Smokies has to offer.

Descending onto Fontana Lakes is really nice, and getting to walk over the Dam is a pretty cool experience.

It is about 40 miles, giving you around 10 miles per day with your last night spent at the village. Its a pretty cool place- when up and running.

Images

spyderman654: Thank you for that advice. I am going to look at that. What village are you speaking of? I am assuming a shuttle would be needed for this route. Does anyone know if any of the advertised shuttle services are worth it?

spyderman654: Thank you for that advice. I am going to look at that. What village are you speaking of? I am assuming a shuttle would be needed for this route. Does anyone know if any of the advertised shuttle services are worth it?
    He's speaking of Fontana Village. It was originally a little planned development to house the workers who built the dam. It was turned into a resort, and, the last time I stayed there had been converted into condos. We got bombarded with literature and come-on pitches. It may have turned over again by now.

There are a number of shuttle services in that area. I think there's a separate sub-forum on shuttles and the like. I know the little motel near Stecoa (Hikers Inn?) runs shuttles in the SW part of the park...

Journal Entries

Cherokee Shuttle Across the Park The Cherokee reservation runs a regularly scheduled warm weather shuttles between Cherokee and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, making four complete round trips per day. They make a scheduled stop at Newfound Gap and also drop people off at other trail heads along the highway. See below for details:

http://www.cherokeetransit.com/shuttle_to_tenn.htm

Using this shuttle bus would NOT get you to Fontana Village, but it could help complete the kind of Mt. LeConte loop which you planned, or make possible other interesting routes.

Journal Entries

Your Optimal Daily Mileage?

Here's a thought potentially pertinent to family harmony. If you plan a route which your wife and son find easy to accomplish each day, neither they, nor your own "recently returned to hiking" muscles, will complain. The same may not apply if your plans are overly ambitious.

Many posters here on White Blaze regularly hike long mileage days as part of AT thru or extended section hikes. For those hearty souls ten miles through the Smokies is literally "a walk in the park". For others, doing shorter mileage is sometimes more pleasurable. Only you can decide what your family's optimal daily mileage should be. Remember that routes that appear on maps of GSMNP to be level ridge walks (AT, Boulevard Trail) actually ascend and descend a great deal.

Heretical as it may sound to some, I personally enjoy taking out-and back routes in the Smokies and elsewhere. I see many things while returning that I missed on the walk out, and I long ago stopped attempting to walk every path or see single place in this world, or within GSMNP.

Here is a route suggestion:

Day one -- From your home in Kentucky drive to the Alum Cave trail head. Time your arrival there early enough so you can proceed using the Cherokee Shuttle up to Newfound Gap. Walk in that afternoon/evening to Ice Water Springs.

(I believe the shuttle requests that you call them ahead to assure pick ups from spots such as the Alum Cave trail head. Or you could stop and talk with them at their Pigeon Forge depot on your way to the park.)

Day two - hike to Pecks Corner. If time and your energy levels permit it, you could take an additional 'side hike' from Peck's, further south along the AT.

Day three - hike back to Ice Water Springs, seeing more of more the Park's more scenic trails. If desired, you could take an end-of-the-day side hike to the overlook known as the "Jump Off", accessed from the initial part of the Boulevard Trail

Day four - hike to Le Mount Conte (After arriving take well marked side hikes to two different scenic overlooks.)

Day five - hike down to your car and return home

Whichever hike yo pick, enjoy your trip!

Depending on the actual date of your trip your first choice is a good one. Just remember to see if they have reopened clingmans dome road and if your going up forney creek there are several stream crossings. I tried to post pics of the crossings but i am not very technically savy. The crossings may be difficult depending on rainfall amounts. I would just watch the forecast and check in with the backcountry office. Here is another to ponder
    Park at the Tremont institute and hike to campsite 18. This is 2.1 miles to a very nice campsite. This will also give you flexability on travel time since it is a short hike. Second day hike up bote mountain trail and stay at spence field shelter. Third day hike the AT over rocky top and thunderhead mountain and spend the night at derrick knob shelter. fourth day continue on the AT and take a left on miry ridge trail and spend the night at campsite 26. fifth day continue down miry ridge until you reach jakes gap. Here you will hang a left onto panther creek trail. Panther creek connects with middle prong trail. head down middle prong trail until you reach middle prong road. do a few miles of road walking and you are back at your vehicle. high miles the last day but all an easy downhill hike. so you will see rocky top and thunderhead mountain and miry ridge is a really nice trail. this gives you a couple of bailout options if needed after spence field-just head back down or after derrick knob you can head down greenbrier ridge trail and connect with middle prong. Regardless of your choice have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

Images

Thank all of you so very much! You have all been so kind. I don't know if you all realize how helpful the information you give is. I have decided on what amounts to two separate route sets. The first "set" starts at Newfound Gap and goes to Le Conte via the AT & boulevard. Spend the night on Le Conte and return to Charlies Bunion the next morning via the same route. Then we will drop down to Kephart for the next night and walk up, and back out to the gap the next morning. Once we return to the gap, if everyone is feeling well, we will proceed to Mt. Collins for the next evening and then to Silers Bald for last evening. I realize that all of that may be too much so that is why there is a "bail out" option between the sets. I am not so foolish as to not know when enough is enough.
    But, based on the hiking we have done, I am pretty confident of my families abilities. They are fairly tough! I really like some of the options you guys posted today. I would have even considered doing them but needed to make my reservations today. I guess the experience well show whether or not I made the right choice.

One other important question and then I will try to lay off. How is water availability up on these ridges? I mean water to filter of course. Do you need to drop down a bit to resupply?

Also, thank you for the information about the shuttles. I may modify my plans to use one of those. I also do not mind doing "out and backs" at all and agree that you can often see things you missed the first time. I will definitely bore you guys with a trip report when we return!

Graywolf I know what you mean. There are just so many. I really like what I would call the "Silers Bald" loop. That is the first one I described. I am just trying to make sure it is not too ambitious for us.
    Seven, have you thought about looking into the AT Georgia/N.C. guide books?? They do list several loop options in the GSMNP.. Just another idea to consider. I have heard the Silers Bald Loop is pretty nice...That would be a good choice..

Graywolf

seven..you won't have water issues at any of your stops. are you going up sweat heifer trail to reconnect with the AT if so your going from 3500ft to 5800ft in 3.7 miles. you have planned a couple of tough days. Take your time and have a great trip.

Images

I'm sure this is common knowledge amongst most on this forum but do check if and when clingman's dome road is open... We were just up there and it was closed until June I believe.
    ...God's Country, and Scotch.

Images

Hey everyone ... wasn't ignoring anyone. Had to go to Seattle on business.

liteweight: you made a very good point and I eliminated the decent to Kephart and replaced it with a stay at Icewater. Should mellow things out a bit. On a different note, I can see Mt. Ranier from where I am.

++ New Posts ++