WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Just got back from doing 32 miles on the laurel Highlands trail rained 2 days out of three still a great time did,nt see any other hikers only me and my other hiking partner was the only 2 in the shelters and there was 5 of them. I don't get allot of chances to go and I am not about to waste vacation days I put in for.
    Please remember the brave men and women of our armed services Without them we would not have the freedom to walk across this great nation.

I with you Jim. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best in weather stuff. I perfer the cooler weather over the Hot/Humid stuff anyday

I'm waiting to hear about how the hike went!

Ahh, I'm melting!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass(unlees it's a really big storm), it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Remember to dance.

Images

This past October I done a section from Erwin, TN to Hot Springs, NC and it rained 4 1/2 days of the 6, but I made the best of it and besides it comes with the territory so to speak. Go for it and remember it's better than being at work.

Went backpacking last summer on N Manitou Island (MI) with youngest daughter. The weather forecast was poor but went anyway. Spent the 80 min boat ride over on the open deck, pouring rain, temp in 50's, waves crashing over the side, wrapped in garbage bags. Once on the island, had a great trip. It rained on and off, but once hiking, you warm up, and everything is nice and dry if all packed up OK. When it did rain we just kept moving. It was the best way to stay warm and dry. When it let up, we took our breaks and set up camp. Lots of wildlife, flowers, etc. I have had many occasions when we have canceled outside plans only to have the weather turn out beautiful. So just go (as long as you can survive the boat ride).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    So, you have a four day hiking trip planned next weekend and the extended weather forecast is calling for 60% chance of rain for each day of your trip.

Do you still go?
    Not if I can easily reschedule the trip.

So, you have a four day hiking trip planned next weekend and the extended weather forecast is calling for 60% chance of rain for each day of your trip.

Do you still go?
    Depends on the area. In WY, where I live, I would call it off in an instant this early in the year. While I can go camping in the snow, I wouldn't rely upon my ability to do so comfortably. I've done tons of hiking in the rain over on the PNW coast, and I love it, but in WY the weather likes to just smack people around for the fun of it.

I actually was planning to go camping this weekend, but there's a thunderstorm rolling in, and the weather has been really weird this past week. I would rather just hang out with my friends and grill food than end up getting stuck in weather I can't ride out.

July 4th, though, I'm heading backwoods to avoid the crazies and their firecrackers.
    Credendo Vides

My son and I are heading out Friday morning and will be back Monday evening. T'storms are forecast for every day.

Did I mention that this will be my first trip with my tarp?

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

This time of year rain is not a problem. In march or November I have a different view. I would rather hike in the rain than on a hot day. Plus, it won't be raining all the time.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Ya know, rough weather conditions and being miserable on a trip, although it doesn't always seem like much fun at the time, it usually makes for the best memories and stories afterwards...
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    what kind of flute do you play? Been thinkin' about getting one of those celtic flutes, the kind the pogues played.
    Luddite, I play the Native American Flute.. Just google it. Lots of makers and sites..I have ten flutes and most are from Trees of Life Designs. He really makes nice affordable ones.

I have my own site as well. Just click on it on the left..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

I was going to take my boy out for his first 5 miler backpacking trip over this weekend. The weather forecast has some severe T storms/Tornado watches/flash flooding watch for the weekend. So to stay safe,going to reschedule the trip someother time.

Default Lightning fatality

You were wise to avoid the stormy weather. There are early reports now appearing in the Asheville paper that a hiker from out of state was killed by lightning on Max Patch Bald yesterday (Friday) afternoon.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...WS01/100604079

Default hiking in rain

Do you still go?
    well first question is where are you hiking? in the heat of GA the rain might be refreshing. so There I might say yes, I'd go.

if you are hiking up in VT, NH or ME, I'd say NO WAY.

you have the forecast ahead of time.. why hike in the rain purposely? a chilly rain can make one miserable. believe me I know from whence I speak. It is NO FUN. Plus, you won't see anything as the mtns will be in clouds.

DavidNH

Yes, I went. posted trip report under Selway River trail, it was an awesome solo hike and I had a blast. PICS HERE

Only rained first day, sprinkled a little second day, poured second night but my tent is bombproof and the last two days were fun in the sun. Did a little fly fishing and caught/released some cutt throat trout.

Ranger said I was the first person this year to hike out to the Moose Creek ranger station, there were no other hikers on the trail and the trail was print free.

Only got so many pics cause my iphone died day two.

Rain , smain, lets go hikin!!

in WY the weather likes to just smack people around for the fun of it.
    Tell me about it! Twice I've barely escaped over Bears Ears Pass, from South Fork Lakes down into Dickinson Park in the Wind Rivers. Both times were just before Labor Day, and there was about 6" in Dubois and waist-deep up at the pass. The good news is the second time was the snows that put out the fires in Yellowstone.

And, Bronco, speaking of first prints, years ago, I was hiking in the Austrian Alps and a trail which led up a draw between two mountain, eventually slabbing up the side of one looked attractive. I was told no one had hiked in there that Summer (mid June). Well, it turned out there had been one guy ahead of me. I followed his prints through mud and snow and, eventually, reaching a snow field, his prints abruptly turned off-trail and up hill. The snow field didn't look all that impressive, so I decided to blaze my own trail. Big mistake. Half-way across, I fell into the creek which the snow field covered and which must have been running under rocks uphill. I got out, almost losing a boot and in no shape to continue the hike. There's no substitute for local knowledge...

Quote Originally Posted by KnittingMelissa View Post
    . I would rather just hang out with my friends and grill food than end up getting stuck in weather I can't ride out.
    Maybe if we had that kind of a choice between hiking in a rain storm, or grilling food with your girlfriend, we would make the same decision.

I agree, WY weather is some of the worst. Does the wind ever stop blowing in that state?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++