WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thanks Damascus. Saw lots of old friends. Drank more than a few beers with them. Ate breakfast at Cowboy's and burgers at Quincy's. Visited with the Only Wanderer a bit. Hugged Miss Janet. Got my New "Yawker" fix from EZ and Lightning Boltz. Got my cholesterol checked for free by the Sweet Home Alabama gang. Bought a few more useless items from vendors. Got soaked in the parade.

Not the least bit surprised by Morpheus. It's the same tedious old annual WB they're picking on "us" again thread. Well, there is no "us" buddy. There was a Morpheus last year and there'll be a Morpheus next year.

I saw one kid get busted. Probably because he didn't know when to shut up. Hey Kid, did it ever occur to you underage drinking, probably drunk and definitely disorderly right behind the Baptist Church Tent where good people were busting their butts for others might aggravate more than a few? I mean they were in the middle of serving a huge free dinner to about 300 hikers... and they're Baptists........ "Here's your sign!!!"

Damascus is the friendliest town on the trail. Trail Days absolutely proves it.
    Hike in Harmony, everywhere, all the time.

BTW. Note to self and next year's Morpheus. If you can't find a friend in the Friendliest Town on the Trail, then you're doing something very very wrong. Try catch phrases like, "good morning", "thank you", "how are you", "please", "hope to see you again", "Thanks for having us over." Smiles work really really well. Look up the definitions of Friend, Friendly, Friendliness and they're uses and meanings. If still not working, get a dog.
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."
    (Forrest Gump; Greenbow, Alabama)[/I] [/COLOR]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Sooooo, you give your opinion while stating that this is not the place for said opinion. . . . hmmmmm . . . . . . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    You got to it before I did......I said the exact same thing when i read that.
    Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    It was too easy. . . .
    Man touchy aren't we. Me thinks you giys need to get out and hike more.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    and further more, the couple of folks that i do know personally,that have been hauled in, were released the next day, with no charges of fine, just a long walk back from abingdon on the creeper.
    That's pretty darn cool if you ask me.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Though I have never been to Trail Days I will make this comment.

I do not enjoy loud, rowdy, drunk fests. As such, if I ever do attend Trail Days, I would most likely avoid the campground all together. Unfortunately, camping is my preferred accommodation, especially when attending a hiking function.

A suggestion for the future: I understand that Trail Days is a lot of work, and that new camping arrangements are being made. If possible, I would suggest that two camping areas be considered, in separate areas. One for the rowdy, party crowd, with whatever law enforcement the local community deems appropriate, and the other a "quiet" campground with the stated understanding that generally accepted trail rules apply - reasonable quiet hours and common courtesy. If this were the arrangement, and it were respected, I would be more likely to consider attending.

Just a thought.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    and the other a "quiet" campground with the stated understanding that generally accepted trail rules apply - reasonable quiet hours and common courtesy. If this were the arrangement, and it were respected, I would be more likely to consider attending.

Just a thought.
    Don't they have a nursing home in Damascus?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Don't they have a nursing home in Damascus?
    If this is the prevailing attitude, I'll just stay away.

Thought hikers were better than that. They used to be.

Images

If this is the prevailing attitude, I'll just stay away.

Thought hikers were better than that. They used to be.
    I was just kidding. I have no opinion about TDs as I've never been to one before.

I do not enjoy loud, rowdy, drunk fests. As such, if I ever do attend Trail Days, I would most likely avoid the campground all together. Unfortunately, camping is my preferred accommodation, especially when attending a hiking function.

A suggestion for the future: I understand that Trail Days is a lot of work, and that new camping arrangements are being made. If possible, I would suggest that two camping areas be considered, in separate areas. One for the rowdy, party crowd, with whatever law enforcement the local community deems appropriate, and the other a "quiet" campground with the stated understanding that generally accepted trail rules apply - reasonable quiet hours and common courtesy. If this were the arrangement, and it were respected, I would be more likely to consider attending.

Just a thought.
    i will push heavy for this at the meetings for next year's TD

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i think they attempted to have a quiet zone this year, over on the other side of the vendors and manufacturers.....but dont know how it turned out

Follow up. I think maybe I wasn't clear enough about the kid that got busted. My intent was to say that I saw one and only one incident during my 4 days at Trail Days with several thousand people attending. I've been to a few drunkfests and thrown a yard drunk or two myself back in younger years. Trail Days ain't even close.
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."
    (Forrest Gump; Greenbow, Alabama)[/I] [/COLOR]

Images

Well, nice thought, but I expect it would work out about as well as a "NO Smoking" area in a small restaurant, just not very effective.

Kudos for recognizing the problem though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    if there is a calmer campground where there is no drinking allowed, i think that some jerks will use the lack of law enforcement in that area to their advantage and camp in that place and drink and get rowdy anyway. there would have to be a no tolerance policy in that area to remove those people immediately to make it work. i think that a no drinking camp is a great idea. i would definately stay there if young son came with me.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

I am a non-drinker who likes the quiet.

I survived the noise and mayhem.

Bring ear plugs.....problem solved.

There is no need to separate into groups.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    if there is a calmer campground where there is no drinking allowed, i think that some jerks will use the lack of law enforcement in that area to their advantage and camp in that place and drink and get rowdy anyway. there would have to be a no tolerance policy in that area to remove those people immediately to make it work. i think that a no drinking camp is a great idea. i would definately stay there if young son came with me.
    i would personally monitor the area for "jerks" to make sure they stay out

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I am a non-drinker who likes the quiet.

I survived the noise and mayhem.

Bring ear plugs.....problem solved.

There is no need to separate into groups.
    it ain't that simple

Journal Entries
    Images

Just a thought.

There are several, very nice campgrounds within half an hour of downtown, if you need amenities such as hot showers, etc. If you don't need any of that, head out towards Mount Rogers and pick the first good site you see. There are plenty of options for those who wish to avoid the hoopla or have small children with them.

Quote Originally Posted by gungho View Post
    i think they attempted to have a quiet zone this year, over on the other side of the vendors and manufacturers.....but dont know how it turned out
    This is where I camped. Did it work, yes and no. If you brought ear plugs like I did it worked fine. The area got crowded and some of the younger hikers didn't realize that some were trying to keep it a quiet zone. Eventually it was just as noisy as anywhere else. But heck it's Trail Days. We all survived.

Now if there is a more organized, "safe zone" camping area marked out by the organizing committee, completely apart from the party zone camping area, then I think it would work. I had a great time camping this year with everyone, but if there is quieter camping with a no alcohol policy that's where I'll be in the future.

This was our first time at TD. We had a great time.
    Parked not far from the vendor area, Met many new people, and old friends.
    We walked through the campground area, during the daytime it was quiet.
    The LEO activity was great to see. Things can get out of hand fast without some supervision.
    Everyone needs to take responsibility for their actions, if you know what you are doing will offend others, or is illegal, expect to pay the consequences.

Many Thanks to the town of Damascus, and all of the volunteers for their efforts and tolerance during Trail Days.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

Images

The one problem I see, from the town's point of view: Would establishment of a "quiet" campground, and a "party" campground imply or establish condoning the activities in the rowdy area?

This may open the town to legal liabilities that are now in a very "gray" area. Something they would need to consider, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by QuebecRun View Post

Now if there is a more organized, "safe zone" camping area marked out by the organizing committee, completely apart from the party zone camping area, then I think it would work. I had a great time camping this year with everyone, but if there is quieter camping with a no alcohol policy that's where I'll be in the future.
    that's what i'm shooting for at the meetings

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++