WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    I have to say the 'gestapo' seemed to be less of a presence then last year, but then I stayed away from the man-fire...lol...buncha dudes with their shirts off dancing around a fire never has been my cup of tea, or shine, or whatever.
    Haha! Don't you mean the GUESTAPO? Last year's tx of me just because I needed to go to the Leki repair booth was a huge turn off and an infurriating one. This year though I noticed some uniformed men actually smiling and laughing in the vendors' area.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Last Trail Days

I atended Trail Days. It was my 7 th time. Considering the difficulties created by the construction of the ball fields I think most everything went off well.
    I think that all who attended owe a big "thank you" to the folks who worked hard to orginize the events and get the tenting area ready.
    Grampie-N->2001

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    My daughter was a witness. She and my wife got the police. My daughter is 18. She has grown up with thru-hikers staying in our house every year. Most of whom we did not know. We met on the trail. I don't know how this has scarred her. She won't open up about it yet. She has wanted to thru-hike since she was very young. She has been to Trail Days and stayed in tent city even though my better judgement felt it was not appropriate, but she knows the hikers and feels apart of them...now this.

This is awful to hear. I had not heard about this until now. I am so sorry and sad for you all.

Tent city is any US town not immune to crime.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky_Fried View Post
    I agree that trail days sucks now and isn't really about what it was founded on. It's all about partying and cops not hiking. Most the people that attended weren't thru hikers they were past thru or sectional. The town is getting greedy for more money and they won't get any more of mine.
    This was my 18th TD's in 20 years...it hasn't changed, it just got bigger. It has always been about the partying (relaxing in town) since my first year in 1990.
    I had a great time but the local drunks are causing problems.

geek

The rape incident that Boudin mentions was next to our camp. I was there to offer assistance for the young woman as a paramedic but one of the police officers was also a paramedic and had the situation handled. The man was not a hiker, he was wearing blue jeans and work boots (as was the victim) and stated to the police that he was camping back in the woods with a group but that he didn't know anyone at Trail Days. I was there when he told them this.
    OTOH, I thought that the law enforcement at this years event was the best in years. Their presence was shown but they only took action when people were stupid...as long as the area was peaceful they overlooked alot of things and I think that made them even more welcomed. I thought that it was the best coverage in years.

geek

Thumbs up

Damascus is a great trail town and the the people that put their sweat into the festival...I salute you.
    I retract what I said about the over bearing police presence; specifically in light of a true crime having been committed. I never considered it a possibility in such a large crowd at tent city.
    Consuming large quantities of alcohol has a deliterious effect on remaining discreet about anything. My fault. It broke my heart and angered me to see Josie (09 thru) busted because she was unlucky enough to be the one holding the herb when the po-po just happened to look our way (in the Riff Raff area).
    Although Riff Raff partys hard and loud, they don't promote illegal substance and I can attest that at least for the last two years they bag up the garbage.
    I hope I live to see the day when THC is legal, controlled, and the public wakes up to how much worse alcohol is in comparison.
    I do take in the town activities and thoroughly feel at home with my kindred trail brothers and sisters.
    Sorry if I rubbed anybody the wrong way. Hike on.
    It is preoccupation with possession, more than anything else that prevents men from living freely and nobly. B. Russell

Between Monday May 10 and Sunday May 16 there were ten arrests in the Damascus jurisdiction. Out of these ten, nine were either underage-drinking or driving under the influence. There was one arrest for sexual assault. The person arrested for assault was not from this area. Reportedly he is being held without bond. The victim was from this area but not from Damascus. The perpetrator identified himself with one group in the campground but from what I can tell, was not known by members of that group before Trail Days.

Two more cases are working and may be filed, which would bring the total arrests to twelve.

Images

Local, and all the individuals that live in Damascus and all the volunteers that give up their valuable time to put on Trail Daze a BIG THANK YOU for all you do. I know it is not an easy task to organize, and pull off this colossal feat. Again THANK YOU.

I was not able to attend due to work but I do plan on attending as many as I can in the future.

I personally welcome the increased police presence. Lord knows they have a very hard job to do. They have to walk a very thin line. They can't be seen as overbearing and they can't be seen as being to lenient. With the amount of people attending and only having 10 arrests with a possible 2 more that is nothing for the numbers that attend. Yes it is 12 more than it should be but people will be stupid. Just think of the amount in dollars of the gear that is in town throughout the weekend and the amount that is actually stolen. A large part of keeping the gear and attendees safe must go the the police presence. To the Police a BIG THANK YOU. Also a large pat on the back for a job well done.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Local View Post
    Between Monday May 10 and Sunday May 16 there were ten arrests in the Damascus jurisdiction. Out of these ten, nine were either underage-drinking or driving under the influence. There was one arrest for sexual assault. The person arrested for assault was not from this area. Reportedly he is being held without bond. The victim was from this area but not from Damascus. The perpetrator identified himself with one group in the campground but from what I can tell, was not known by members of that group before Trail Days.

Two more cases are working and may be filed, which would bring the total arrests to twelve.
    and the point? more and more "local" types will be showing up for this party next year and the years to come. the crimes will worsen. just watch. i've said it for years. won't be long before a death occurs out there from alcohol poisoning or drug OD or manslaughter. there woulda been triple the arrests had the LEOs not been so lenient. the campground situation is a blight on TDs. sounds negative but i know what's happenin'

and there were ONLY 10 arrests because Damascus LEOs were spread thin. the camping was so spread out with all kinds of access points and exits

Default Fair?

Never seems fair to arrest a few for doing what most others are.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by davy View Post
    Well, I imagine you aren't referring to the arrests described above by Local....
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Default No, I didn't include Local's quote.

But I understand the clarification needed. People of all ages were enjoying weed and drinks, the sexual assault in local's quote is a different matter.

Smoking weed is not illegal, only possession. The lesson is smoke it all and don't save the roaches.

Images

sounds like city folk

Images

The way I understood the earlier post, between Monday and Sunday, there were ten arrests, nine were either underage drinking or driving under the influence.....what's unfair about getting popped for DUI or underage drinking? Remember, we're talking about a nearly week-long event....
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    and the point? more and more "local" types will be showing up for this party next year and the years to come. the crimes will worsen. just watch. i've said it for years. won't be long before a death occurs out there from alcohol poisoning or drug OD or manslaughter. there woulda been triple the arrests had the LEOs not been so lenient. the campground situation is a blight on TDs. sounds negative but i know what's happenin'
    Hey, Wolf, once again I issue you an invitation to join the Trail Days committee. There are only about six or seven of us, and we need your help. You have the knowledge and the expertise which would do us a lot of good. Your contacts in the hiker community give you credibility far beyond those of us who are just local folk wanting to help make this a good event for visitors. You don't even have to come to the boring meetings, just be available to give us practical advice.

Several of us share your concerns about the growing number of outsiders coming to the campground, and we want to take some strong steps next year to keep this down. You can help us. Come on, Marine, get your boots on and get up here on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by davy View Post
    Davy, that's what I say to the judge every time I get hauled in for speeding.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    The way I understood the earlier post, between Monday and Sunday, there were ten arrests, nine were either underage drinking or driving under the influence.....what's unfair about getting popped for DUI or underage drinking? Remember, we're talking about a nearly week-long event....
    I wish the guy driving the wrong way on the interstate in Hickory Friday evening had been arrested before getting behind the wheel. I wonder how long the good people of Damascus will continue to tolerate and accommodate. I believe it's just a matter of time. It only takes a few to ruin a good thing.

Several of us share your concerns about the growing number of outsiders coming to the campground, and we want to take some strong steps next year to keep this down. You can help us. Come on, Marine, get your boots on and get up here on the line.
    i will come to next year's meetings. i'm not sure i will be here for TDs itself though.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++