WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Images

I live in Cheviot (Near where the OP lives) so Over enthusiastic police, illegal search & seizure, false arrest & etc, is a way of life here. In fact, when I say that "I live in the heart of what is left of the Nazi regime" Most know that I live in Cheviot.
    So when I go to TD, I don't even notice, even at times thinking how laid back the police are.
    But as lone Wolf rightly points out, so many go there just to party, the police start to look at everyone as being drunk or on drugs.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky_Fried View Post
    I agree that trail days sucks now and isn't really about what it was founded on. It's all about partying and cops not hiking. Most the people that attended weren't thru hikers they were past thru or sectional. The town is getting greedy for more money and they won't get any more of mine.
    No, TDs did not "suck" and your statement is a disservice to all those who worked so hard planning and preparing for it as well as those who lead programs and presentations.

So are you saying that "most" of the people who attend TDs "should" be current year thruhikers? That would make for a pretty small "festival." I can't comment about TDs history or what the early years were like but I thought a major TDs aspect was past years' hikers - sectioners, thrus, part-wayers - came to celebrate the Trail and meet old and new friends.

As to locals and completely non-hiker-type attendees - yes, there were lots more than I expected. I was quite surprised when we were asked more than once by folks stopping by the Undulations table where and what the AT was! But so what? That's OK. In fact, many were genuinely curious about the AT and wanted to learn more so of course I evangelized! I talked for more than 1/2 an hour to one guy who never hiked before but really wanted to start some day. He kept asking questions and, seeing my loaded backpack behind the table, asked me if he could try it on! I obliged. He expressed admiration that I could carry such a heavy pack but I told him he'd leave me far behind if we hiked together since he was a marathon runner.

Images

I'll add one further thought: I ask those who post here not to refer to police officers enforcing the law (even laws some don't agree with) as "Nazis" or "GestapoI've known both, when I lived in Germany in the 60s. Those were "police" - I use the term loosely - who killed others without any legal basis, tortured others, and disregarded the most basic human rights, all while under the control of Heinrich Himmler, a man as evil as Adolf Hitler and even more directly responsible for criminal police behavior.

Police in the USA work for civilians we elect. They do a difficult and dangerous job. One was murdered 10 days ago in my hometown, Detroit. He leaves a family that is now without a father and husband. Other police saved hundreds of lives a week or so ago in the Times Square incident. With the rarest of exceptions, these women and men act honorably, professionally, and with great consideration while being prepared to die defending our right to live in a safe society.

I've had my share of run-ins with police that I disagreed with, including along the AT. In some cases, their actions were foolish - or so I think - and ineffective or even counterproductive. But they do not deserve the insult of "Nazi" or "Gestapo" even in poor jest.

TW

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the local and county LEOs did a damn good job controlling what little they could
    Agreed! Enjoyed TD again this year, and personally enjoy it much more without the presence (or at least visibility) of said illicit activities, so I was very pleased to see what I thought was greater visibility by LEOs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Those who do not like police enforcing laws in a community which pays them to do so should avoid the community (as the original post suggests) or, if they wish to criticise the police (or anything else), move to the community, pay taxes, and vote. Neither thru hikers nor anyone else is entitled to a "day pass" to ignore laws and common decency, much less in a small town that they do not live in.

TW
    I agree. I complain my fair share about cops and mostly state troopers, but we need them. I would like to see how long anyone with a "***** the police" attitude would last in an anarchic society before they began crying and begging on their knees for the cops to come back.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Thanks to the obnoxious Sherriff's department presence at Traildays the last two years, I've decided this is my last visit until tent city lands on private property.
    I saw multiple arrests for public intoxication and simple marijuana possession (a roach) to harmless individuals just having a good time. Friday night there was a great free jam band that got shut down after only playing one set. While the band was playing Johnny Law pulls a cruiser right up to the crowd and turns the headlights on the crowd so they can get a better look at who's doing what.
    The local youth is the real problem. They come through at night trying to freeload beer and get threatening when you don't hand it over because they wouldn't show ID's. I don't need "contributing to a minor" on my resume. Sorry.
    For those of you that aren't bothered, I salute your ability to look the other way, but I get incensed over hovering fascists.
    another point i might add, staying in tent city is a personal choice and can be avoided by exploring many other avenues...tent city is not what trail days is all about, suck it up, enjoy what all aspects that trail days has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    I'll add one further thought: I ask those who post here not to refer to police officers enforcing the law (even laws some don't agree with) as "Nazis" or "GestapoI've known both, when I lived in Germany in the 60s. Those were "police" - I use the term loosely - who killed others without any legal basis, tortured others, and disregarded the most basic human rights, all while under the control of Heinrich Himmler, a man as evil as Adolf Hitler and even more directly responsible for criminal police behavior.

Police in the USA work for civilians we elect. They do a difficult and dangerous job. One was murdered 10 days ago in my hometown, Detroit. He leaves a family that is now without a father and husband. Other police saved hundreds of lives a week or so ago in the Times Square incident. With the rarest of exceptions, these women and men act honorably, professionally, and with great consideration while being prepared to die defending our right to live in a safe society.

I've had my share of run-ins with police that I disagreed with, including along the AT. In some cases, their actions were foolish - or so I think - and ineffective or even counterproductive. But they do not deserve the insult of "Nazi" or "Gestapo" even in poor jest.

TW
    Thank you, very well written-lets leave out the symbolism of Nazis whenever we disagree with someone-or some organization, especially when refering to police officers.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Just some facts: there were a total of between ten and fifteen arrests during Trail Days. I will post more information later concerning the breakdown between local persons arrested and out-of-towners arrested.

Someone named "Kentucky Fried" posted that the town was getting greedy. Because the town did not charge for camping this year, and because they farmed out the parking concession, the town lost money. Individual businesses and vendors made money, which is good and keeps them coming back. But the town did not make anything.

As Lone Wolf has said earlier, next year there will be a camping fee, and tighter control of who comes and goes in the campground, and much better parking. We will welcome your suggestions on how to improve things, and once again invite hikers to join us on the Trail Days committee.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Thanks to the obnoxious Sherriff's department presence at Traildays the last two years, I've decided this is my last visit until tent city lands on private property.
    I saw multiple arrests for public intoxication and simple marijuana possession (a roach) to harmless individuals just having a good time. Friday night there was a great free jam band that got shut down after only playing one set. While the band was playing Johnny Law pulls a cruiser right up to the crowd and turns the headlights on the crowd so they can get a better look at who's doing what.
    The local youth is the real problem. They come through at night trying to freeload beer and get threatening when you don't hand it over because they wouldn't show ID's. I don't need "contributing to a minor" on my resume. Sorry.
    For those of you that aren't bothered, I salute your ability to look the other way, but I get incensed over hovering fascists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky_Fried View Post
    I agree that trail days sucks now and isn't really about what it was founded on. It's all about partying and cops not hiking. Most the people that attended weren't thru hikers they were past thru or sectional. The town is getting greedy for more money and they won't get any more of mine.
    Well I won't mess you two.......

Quote Originally Posted by Local View Post
    As Lone Wolf has said earlier, next year there will be a camping fee, and tighter control of who comes and goes in the campground, and much better parking. We will welcome your suggestions on how to improve things, and once again invite hikers to join us on the Trail Days committee.
    This was my first Trail Days and I was impressed at the organization and preparation from the town. I thought the level of LEO activity was more than fair. If someone wasn't being stupid or underage, they were left alone. For those of-age it was a don't-ask-don't-tell situation.

I was blown away by the amount of work that some groups did in their areas, especially Riff Raff. My buddy said that Superman was just that. I can only assume his area was spotless before they left.

I'll be back.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Granted I have never been to Trail Days, but based on the couple comments made here there are some that need to learn how to be respectful guests when they are visiting another community. Its not that community's obligation to accept your bad behavior and law breaking.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post

I was blown away by the amount of work that some groups did in their areas, especially Riff Raff. My buddy said that Superman was just that. I can only assume his area was spotless before they left.
    riff raff wasn't always spotless http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...aff+trail+days

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    And no one from Riff Raff denies the past but great inroads have been made.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    And no one from Riff Raff denies the past but great inroads have been made.
    the trash during trail days is the real problem

So why isn't anybody talking about the rape in tent city? This wasn't a hiker. An Abbingdon man raped a woman in tent city. When help arrived she was unresponsive. Her head wrapped up in a sleeping bag. He was arrested. Where is all of the news about this? Where is the indignation?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    So why isn't anybody talking about the rape in tent city? This wasn't a hiker. An Abbingdon man raped a woman in tent city. When help arrived she was unresponsive. Her head wrapped up in a sleeping bag. He was arrested. Where is all of the news about this? Where is the indignation?
    thats the kind of trash i was talking about.......i heard about the rape....but have heard no details or follw up

My daughter was a witness. She and my wife got the police. My daughter is 18. She has grown up with thru-hikers staying in our house every year. Most of whom we did not know. We met on the trail. I don't know how this has scarred her. She won't open up about it yet. She has wanted to thru-hike since she was very young. She has been to Trail Days and stayed in tent city even though my better judgement felt it was not appropriate, but she knows the hikers and feels apart of them...now this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    At this point the story is that the victim was a local woman, and the perpetrator was not a local person, but someone with a trail name who claimed affiliation with one of the groups in the campground. He is in custody without bond. When the real story is available I will put a link here to the details.

I can assure you all of one thing,the law in Virginia is quite harsh for this type of crime and this dirtbag is looking at a sentence up to life because she was injured.

Virginia also has what is called the 85% rule,you do 85% of the sentence before you are ever considered for parole,that's a minimum of 8.5 years for every 10.If she doesn't survive,it will almost certainly be life without parole.

Lets keep this poor girl in our thoughts as well as Boudin's daughter,I hope they both recover from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Local View Post
    the perpetrator was not a local person, but someone with a trail name who claimed affiliation with one of the groups in the campground.
    riff raff....

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++