WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Singles area?

Default Singles area?

How about having a "Singles" forum here for hikers interested in meeting other hikers who are interested in meeting and having relationships with other long distance hikers?

Seems like there'd be a demand for it...

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I am going to make a pre-emptive post here:

Play nice.
    Last edited by Mags; 05-18-2010 at 11:41.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

Play nice.
    you suck..............just saying

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin again View Post
    How about having a "Singles" forum here for hikers interested in meeting other hikers who are interested in meeting and having relationships with other long distance hikers?

all the rapists and pedophiles are already registered on e-harmony.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

Play nice.
    Awwwwwww...... mommmmmmm - no one else will !!!!!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    all the rapists and pedophiles are already registered on e-harmony.
    And elsewhere I imagine. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin again View Post

i'll second this suggestion. there have been several threads with people wanting to meet other hikers and the op's get slammed for it. why not have a forum where the naysayers don't have to go look at it if they don't want to?

If I can't have fun, nobody else should be allowed to have fun.
    Just sayin'.

It is rather like opening up an ice cream thread on a weight watchers forum. lol

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    And elsewhere I imagine. . . .
    Er..um, yeah.....

I don't know about meeting LD hikers..but my Dad once told me that they way to meet someone is to do something you enjoy..think about meeting someone for dating ater. Make sense.

If you join a place for the express purpose of meeting someone, you probably won't.

If you do something you enjoy, you usually meet someone you already have a base interest at heart.

I never joined a 'singles group'. I have been active socially over the years and have met many great people through volunteering, outdoor activities and social functions. Been able to date some lovely people. They may not have worked out romantically, but I am on friendly terms with them. And my current better half is someone I met on a hike.

Good luck...if you want to start a dating forum, you may want to consider volunteering to moderate it too..
    Last edited by Mags; 05-18-2010 at 14:19.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I agree with Mags, you're not going to meet someone sitting behind a computer...well, because you are sitting behind a computer. Get out there and do things and these things tend to happen...eventually. I met past significant others in school, through social circles, and twice at, or associated with work.

What has happened to our society that people no longer talk to one another? Like people who won't answer their phone but then text you straight back? Sitting behind a computer in isolation attempting to "meet" someone...seems strange to me, but I understand people lack the confidence to do anything more, or perhaps simply don't have the time.

Anyhow...I don't have a problem with a singles thread on here, that's fine with me, but I do think it will do more harm than good and i do think most folks on here, the overwhelming majority, are men...so it's probably gonna be fairly one sided!

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

May I suggest joining your local hiking club and participating as a way to meet other hikers in your area.

As for a singles forum here - the admins/ mods have enough headaches without adding this one.

Don't encourage them, if I get another chick hitting on me through PMs on this forum I'm going to scream.

If you want to meet someone, just go golfing and pick up the wrong ball a few times.

Or, hike naked for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    Don't encourage them, if I get another chick hitting on me through PMs on this forum I'm going to scream.
    Dear Jonnycat, I don't think chicks can get near you with all those cats prowling about .

I'm not interested in a singles forum; I kind of think these would bring out the worst in people. Having said that, if enough people are interested, I won't be standing in their way. K2
    K2 Able to leap small twigs with a single bound.
    I did it. I said I’ll do it, and I’ve done it. [after she summited Katahdin] –EMMA ‘GRANDMA’ GATEWOOD

OH NO! I feel another "earthy female wanted" post coming...........

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post

Or "no creapy dudes"
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    I agree with Mags, you're not going to meet someone sitting behind a computer...well, because you are sitting behind a computer. Get out there and do things and these things tend to happen...eventually. I met past significant others in school, through social circles, and twice at, or associated with work.

What has happened to our society that people no longer talk to one another? Like people who won't answer their phone but then text you straight back? Sitting behind a computer in isolation attempting to "meet" someone...seems strange to me, but I understand people lack the confidence to do anything more, or perhaps simply don't have the time.

Anyhow...I don't have a problem with a singles thread on here, that's fine with me, but I do think it will do more harm than good and i do think most folks on here, the overwhelming majority, are men...so it's probably gonna be fairly one sided!
    you sir are very mistaken. I work 60 hr weeks and if it were not for this "computer" I get behind, I would have missed out on meeting my most favorite people in the world. People that, because I met them here, I go hike amazing hikes with, like the knife edge. I thank God that I had this great place to meet such amazing and brilliant people. I see absolutely no real reason other than legal liabilities that it would not be a super idea.

Images

While it seems like a reasonable idea, I suspect a Singles forum would be plagued with the sorts of problems the women's forum is, but in spades. Kibbutzers and snide interlopers...and just downright Asshats. In other words, an administrative nightmare.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    haha! That was the first thing I thought of. That still probably remains the funniest thread I've ever had the pleasure of reading.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++