WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Posting agreement or Disagreement - What are you thinking?

So we all like to agree with each other in a big way, Just like we don't like being told NO by our parents. So when something is written its on another plane vs spoken. We can tear it apart when its written. When you write something from the heart to help someone here on WB and someone disagrees with you... How do you handle it? What do you do differently. Why would the opposite posistion be off the wall?

Just thoughts folks.... In fact Why do some posts get a rise out of you?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

i only post twice in a thread if i need to clarify something, forgot something, or am REALLY bored. i try to answer the question, and that's all. if someone disagrees, so be it. that's their hike, not mine. i find that most threads are answered within the first 10-15 posts. after that, i find most of them are repetitious, and i usually don't bother posting if it's past that point, because i'll just be repeating something someone else said.

some people do like argue, or just 'stir the pot' and watch others argue. i seldom defend myself, as most can see what's happening and it's just not worth the effort... i have tv to watch, gear to mend, a canoe to maintain, paddles that need fixing, a dog and two cats that need attention, and a porch swing that needs sitting in. i come here for information, to give a little if i can, and ignore the trolls.

oh, and there's that wonderful 'ignore' button... love it... keeps certain folks from 'getting a rise'.

as to why some people get bent out of shape or defensive, i think it's because they're either needy anyway, or don't have tv to watch, gear to mend, etc...
    Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

Images

I have been thinking the exact same thing for the past two days, I don't know if maybe I don't put my thoughts into words properly or there are just miserable people out there that want others to be miserable with them, I try on every one of my posts to be very diplomatic and I don't recall ever insulting anyone whether directly or indirectly unless insulted first, But it seems to happen none the less, I try not to take it to heart but sometimes can't help it. Sometimes posts are indirect and I am not sure if it is me being reffered to, In that case I just let it go, After all it's not all about me. If an insult is directed at me through quoting one of my posts, I usually will respond in the like. I don't like being insulted, Who does? But I also try not to stoop to someone elses level by insulting back unless it really stings. I figure, What can you do? Not everybody has the same opinion, And I totally respect that. But direct verbal assaults, That's a different story. I am not the biggest, badest, roughest, toughest man alive but if insulted face to face, I invite the person to step outside and resolve it like men, I treat people with respect and expect the same in return.

Images

This is WHITE BLAZE,
    You don't need to be right
    You don't need to know what your talking about
    You need not ever used the gear, been there, or even left your chair
    You don't need so show respect
    You don't need to back up your opinion (just post 3 times that makes it fact)
    And if you have over 3000 posts you can say what you want, you earned it.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I think it's much easier for people to insult, and to respond, from the anonymity of a keyboard. What's funny is that means the people who get insulted put enough value of the opinion of the person who insulted them to actually get mad about it! People who they've probably never met, probably never will, and will probably never have any impact whatsoever on their lives beyond a few internet posts. Seriously? Generally not even worth responding to, IMO, b/c I don't value their opinions enough to get riled up.

That's why I left WB so long ago. It seems to be much more respectful than it used to be. Or maybe it's just the threads I choose to read here now and I'm not seeing the rest. But I'm enjoying WB again.

huh........?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    So we all like to agree with each other in a big way, Just like we don't like being told NO by our parents. So when something is written its on another plane vs spoken. We can tear it apart when its written. When you write something from the heart to help someone here on WB and someone disagrees with you... How do you handle it? What do you do differently. Why would the opposite posistion be off the wall?

If I happen to read a post, and I feel it flys in the face of conventional wisdom, then that will usually cause me to want to respond to it, and to present my opinion of it. It's human nature that we basically want people to read and agree with our thoughts and opinions on different subjects and matters, and natural to feel disappointed when others don't. There are also times all of us think things are a certain way, and happen to be wrong in our assumptions. The fact of the matter is if one agrees to the rules of the forum, then one hopefully will choose to remain civil wether they are in agreement or disagreement with other members. It also gets easier to do this as one gets older, in my opinion, due to something called maturity.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    This is WHITE BLAZE,
    I disagree with this when I see meaningless, off topic replies inserted into flowing threads from members with high post counts.

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

I believe Kayak Karl was using a bit of sarcasm there.
    Papa John

Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    I disagree with this when I see meaningless, off topic replies inserted into flowing threads from members with high post counts.
    Who is to say what is meaningless? All the voices in my head agree with me.

Seriously, expect to get flamed for any post, meaningless or not. I started a thread about one of my pics being the Weather Channel's pic of the day and right away I got flamed for being a WC fan.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    huh........?
    Why are you being inflammatory? (Insert big green smiley here.)

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    Boobs. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Who is to say what is meaningless? All the voices in my head agree with me.
    Same here. . .

2010 complete

QUOTE=papa john;1014522]I believe Kayak Karl was using a bit of sarcasm there.[/QUOTE]
    missed it, lack of coffee. I guess that's could be part of the problem.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

that is... I think I disagree?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post

If I said what posts get a rise out of me and why, then that itself would stir up other posts to the contrary.

So it remains unspoken.

Best thing on WB, esp when posting, don't read follow-ups to your post, esp if they are likely to be controversial or hot button. I've been able to stay on here following that rule.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    This is WHITE BLAZE,
    You don't need to be right
    You don't need to know what your talking about
    You need not ever used the gear, been there, or even left your chair
    You don't need so show respect
    You don't need to back up your opinion (just post 3 times that makes it fact)
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
    I'd like to disagree with the above post but I can't. Its the truth.

Images

Oh ... I thought it said what are you drinking?

Deadeye ... Let me take you down cuz I'm going to Strawberry Fields.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch;
    missed it, lack of coffee. I guess that's could be part of the problem.
    Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Images

Just for reference, this is one of the very first posts on WhiteBlaze, from 2002, from the guy ("EasyHiker") who created WhiteBlaze. While times (and policies) may have changed, it's worth remembering:

"this forum has no rules or censorship and nothing is to stupid. I designed this site to be that way and I hope the new owners respect the tradition that has gone on here and keep it that way.

Theres tons of information on this forum and as you could probably see its not the same old people commenting all the time."
    "Moderation" now exists, but I think even the strictest moderator keeps this essential concept in mind.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

Sitting back with popcorn to watch the fun begin......
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++