WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Smokies bear that bit tourist on trail euthanized - Asheville Citizen-Times

Smokies bear that bit tourist on trail euthanized
    Asheville Citizen-Times
    The park already this spring has transferred three underweight yearling bears to Appalachian Bear Rescue in Townsend, Tenn., but that group rehabilitates ...
    Bear that bit hiker euthanized despite Facebook oppositionKnoxville News Sentinel
    Bloggers on the bear controversyKnoxville News Sentinel (blog)

all 14 news articles »

More...

"Numerous tourists had been feeding the bear and taking pictures of it, and when one got too close while trying to snap a picture, the bear bit him on the foot, causing a puncture wound."
    http://www.citizen-times.com/article...WS01/100520047

Hope it was a good picture!

Images

Sad.
    I still say they should have put the tourist to sleep & fined the bear. The bear did nothing wrong, it was the touron who screwed up, yet the bear had to pay for the touron's F***up.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Killed for convenience and safety of humans ≠ Euthanized

It might have been considered necessary but let's call it what it was. The bear was most likely perfectly content and healthy and in no need of being euthanized.

This is embarrassing. I feel responsible because of my age. How did we let things come to this?

Stupid People! No matter how many signs posted or Ranger talks or information on the web about people and bears, stupid people still think it doesn't apply to them. Just like litter in campsites and cigarette butts on the golf greens.

++ New Posts ++