WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Abol Trail?

Formerly Jaws2006
    Journal Entries

Default Abol Trail?

This time up Katahdin I'd like to climb via the Abol Trail and down the Hunt Trail. Can someone comment on how difficult it is to climb up the Abol rocks?

The last time I came down the Abol Trail I was passed by a Mennonite woman in a long dress.

There is a lot of loose rock (skree) but if you're careful it isn't that bad.

Default Can't be too bad

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Hiker View Post
    This time up Katahdin I'd like to climb via the Abol Trail and down the Hunt Trail. Can someone comment on how difficult it is to climb up the Abol rocks?
    I have not personally hiked it, but the last time I was at the peak there were some hikers who came up the Abol Trail. They said that it was faster than the Hunt Trail.
    Shutterbug

Here's a good link for the Abol Trail. http://www.charleybradley.com/my-sna...ahdin-08c.html
    "The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for." - Louis L'Amour

Images

Nice link, great pic's but climbing in Cotton Tee & Blue Jeans is asking for trouble even in July!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I have not personally hiked it, but the last time I was at the peak there were some hikers who came up the Abol Trail. They said that it was faster than the Hunt Trail.

True. It's shorter than the Hunt trail, and I think easier too. I went up Abol last year and down Hunt. There were bigger scrambles, tighter squeezes and hand holds / ladders on the Hunt trail that aren't on the Abol trail.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Interesting to see what the trail entails. This is the way we want to go - up the Abol and down Hunt. But I know we will need a ride from the ranger station at KS that am (July 1) to the trailhead. I don't plan to road walk before that climb. Gotta save my feet

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

It is a pretty walk. Only 2 miles. Could always stick out the thumb.

The road walk to me is the most dangerous part of the trip. The road is very narrow with no shoulders and on a dry day is real dusty when a car goes by.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The road walk to me is the most dangerous part of the trip. The road is very narrow with no shoulders and on a dry day is real dusty when a car goes by.
    I would agree with this 100%. I have only walked on the tote road after the morning rush hour, and when the road was damp. I don't even like driving this road when it is dry, it is that dusty.

Default abol trail

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Hiker View Post
    Many folks go up the Abol trail. It is a direct route that goes roughly staight up a rock slide on Katahdin. If it is raining, or if it has recently rained and the rocks are wet, I would avoid this trail at ALL COSTS. but when rocks are dry i suspect it is very doable though it's not a trail I'd like to do.

David

++ New Posts ++