WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default wet rotting feet

I am starting SOBO at the end of June. I have been told that my feet will be wet and people drop out due to wet rotting feet in Maine. What can I do to keep my feet healthy? This is my current plan:

1. bring baby powder and powder feet at night
    2. wear breathable trail runners
    3. bring 3 pair of socks, 2 for day, 1 for night
    4. bring flip flops and wear them around camp

i SOBOed starting the end of June one year and didn't have a problem. you got bad info. my feet did get wet when i forded the kennebec though

karoroberts, I think you have a good plan. I hiked SOBO last June and my feet (and others') got destroyed due to being always wet. It was an overly-rainy year, but maybe it's always wet in June. In either case, way to be thinking ahead!

The one suggestion I have is to trade in the flip-flops for a pair of Croclike shoes ($5ish at a chain store), because if flip-flops get wet, they are slippery and dangeous to walk in. With the river fords, I think more substantial shoes are well worth the extra weight, at least until you get out of Maine. Also, if you do get blisters, you can hike in Crocs. I did for at least 30 miles - definitely not ideal, but it was so much better than hiking in sopping wet boots for the 7th straight day. You can always ditch Crocs later and pick up 99 cent flip flops along the way. I carried mine to West Virginia and will take them the rest of the way this year.

Good luck!

I think that your plan is a very good one. Last year my feet were wet and muddy for maybe a week at a time (or more) for as long as my hiking day was. I didn't do the baby powder thing, but I def. had camp shoes, and clean socks for nighttime.

Eventually though my feet woud start to get red irritation sores (all over) and blisters from being wet for so many days in a row. I simpy had to take a day off when this happened to let my skin dry out and recover.

Karoberts, it sounds like you have the right idea. Keeping one's feet healthy is a primary key to being able to enjoy a hike.

I have found that Fox River sox are the best for preventing blisters. Other than that, just what you said; try to keep them dry and at camp wear sandles or flip flops to let them air out.

Images

I too hiked SOBO last year. While hiking, my shoes, socks and feet were constantly wet through all of Maine and much of NH and VT. Upon arrival at my stopping place for the night, I always got out of the wet shoes and socks and into Crocs. I generally didn't wear any socks at night, but if I did, they were certainly dry ones.

I don't think you'll have any foot rotting problem as long as you let your feet dry out when you are not hiking (14-16 hours of the day).

Hydopel has been recommended to me to protect wet feet. My most comfortable hikers are not waterproof, but very light and comfortable. Haven't found a gortex or Event pair that feel as good so I am trying the hydropel this hike. Last summer it rained everyday of our 6 day section and my feet got wet. I used Dr.Scholls foot cream in the blue tube and did not have any problems. I do get out of my wet shoes and sock at camp to dry my feet out.

Garlic
    Images

I think what affects me more than water is mud. My feet would be better if I was able to wash them and my socks at least once a day in clean running water. Clean and wet is much better than dirty and wet.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I would like to suggest for socks get Columbia brand hikers 2 pairs for 11buck at their outlet stores and they really do a great job displacing moisture AND ARE QUITE SUPERIOR TO OTHER SOCKS COSTING MUCH MORE MAKE SURE THEY ARE THE WOOLBLEN NOT THE SYNTHETIC.

oTHERWISE IF ITS JuST POURING OR MUDDY `GO WITH HIKING SANDALS OR cROCS save the boots for better conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I think what affects me more than water is mud. My feet would be better if I was able to wash them and my socks at least once a day in clean running water. Clean and wet is much better than dirty and wet.
    Great point, Garlic.
    Yes, this does make a big difference. If you are walking thorough rushing water all day, it makes a difference on your feet.
    Trudging thorugh mud, though...much more uncomfortable, and your feet will be alot more irritated. I found this to be more of a problem in the N than the S.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Also take your shoes off whenever you stop and let the feet dry, along with drying out your insoles. Unless we get really rainy weather in ME, I dont anticipate the trail to be that horribly wet. Going NOBO, there was more mud in VT then ME

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    agreed, especially when a lot of the 'mud' is moose poop!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    Thank you for that visual. Made my muffin catch part way down.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Thank you for that visual. Made my muffin catch part way down.
    i like to tell people they are edible chocolate eggs left for them by the easter moose

Images

i like to tell people they are edible chocolate eggs left for them by the easter moose
    Or precious stones to be used in the jewelry trade, as done by David at Pine Ellis in Andover.

There's an old song about mooseturd pie. Anybody remember how it goes? Had to do with a cook in a logging camp, if memory serves.

Update: No, I stand corrected. The song was by Utah Phillips, who claimed it was about his experience as a gandydancer on the Santa Fe Railroad.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i SOBOed starting the end of June one year and didn't have a problem. you got bad info. my feet did get wet when i forded the kennebec though
    How did your feet get wet in a canoe, was there a leak in it?

How can your feet get wet when you walk on water? . . .

Good example here, well blended Moose poop and mud has a funny color:
    WALK ON

-- Dry out feet mid-hike during the day
    -- Use powder in the evenings. During a hike powder can dampen and lump up.
    --Apply Hydropel Sports Oinment Google it.

Clogs work well in water crossing. Water rushes through the holes, relieving pressure. They can roll off rocks, however. So be careful.

Keep a dry pair of socks for camp use only.

Injinji socks can help prevent between-the-toe blisters.

http://www.injinji.com/tetratsok/performance.htm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++