WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Formerly Jaws2006
    Journal Entries

Default Split from THru-Hikers Q&A: Dogs in the Shelter?

If a hiker shows up with a dog - does the dog have the right to sleep in the shelter?

This really happened:

Back in 2006 I was at a shelter with three other hikers. There was still a little bit of room left. A hiker showed up with her (large) dog. One of the other hikers told her that either she or her dog could stay in the shelter but the other person/dog had to sleep outside. She never said a word - arranged a pad for her dog in the shelter - and she cowboy camped outside for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Hiker View Post
    If a hiker shows up with a dog - does the dog have the right to sleep in the shelter?

This really happened:

Back in 2006 I was at a shelter with three other hikers. There was still a little bit of room left. A hiker showed up with her (large) dog. One of the other hikers told her that either she or her dog could stay in the shelter but the other person/dog had to sleep outside. She never said a word - arranged a pad for her dog in the shelter - and she cowboy camped outside for the night.
    no dog should ever be in a shelter. period

Journal Entries
    Images

Here is what the ATC says about that on their web site, L Wolf:

Take special measures at shelters. Leash your dog in the shelter area, and ask permission of other hikers before allowing your dog in a shelter. Be prepared to "tent out" when a shelter is crowded, and on rainy days.
    Like it or not, dogs are as much a part of the outdoor tradition as cigars around a campfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    no dog should ever be in a shelter. period

Why?

Panzer, do you know what TH it was?

Journal Entries
    Images

Speciesism.

Plus they can smell as bad as a thru hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by hellomolly View Post
    Why?
    because shelters are for humans. dogs have fleas and ticks and like to walk over your stuff and beg food and growl and sometimes bite and some folks are scared of dogs. set up a tent away from the shelter with your dog

because shelters are for humans. dogs have fleas and ticks and like to walk over your stuff and beg food and growl and sometimes bite and some folks are scared of dogs. set up a tent away from the shelter with your dog

Well that's a gigantic and ignorant generalization. People have ticks too. My dog sleeps in the shelter if there is room and he does not do any of those things, nor does he have fleas. And he gets a thorough tick check beforehand. If someone is afraid, of course I'd keep him away - as would any responsible owner. But he's slept in shelters multiple times with no problems - sleeps on a fleece blanket at my feet and has never disrupted anyone.

Well that's a gigantic and ignorant generalization. People have ticks too. My dog sleeps in the shelter if there is room and he does not do any of those things, nor does he have fleas. And he gets a thorough tick check beforehand. If someone is afraid, of course I'd keep him away - as would any responsible owner. But he's slept in shelters multiple times with no problems - sleeps on a fleece blanket at my feet and has never disrupted anyone.
    it's rude and inconsiderate. people like are why myself and many others never stay in shelters

and i have seen the exchange way too many times...

dog owner: don't worrry he's fiendly

non-dog owner: i don't like dogs

dog owner: just push him away

non dog-owner [holding hands high, turning away from dog, looking anxious]: i don't like dogs, please take him away

dog owner: oh, just shoo him, here cujo, here cujo

non dog-owner quickly vacates the area and is all stressed out

dog owner: i can't believe what a jerk that guy was

me: who is the jerk?

it's rude and inconsiderate. people like are why myself and many others never stay in shelters
    Sweet, more room for me and the dog!

Sweet, more room for me and the dog!
    selfish and ignorant. nice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    and i have seen the exchange way too many times...

dog owner: don't worrry he's fiendly

non-dog owner: i don't like dogs

dog owner: just push him away

non dog-owner [holding hands high, turning away from dog, looking anxious]: i don't like dogs, please take him away

dog owner: oh, just shoo him, here cujo, here cujo

non dog-owner quickly vacates the area and is all stressed out

dog owner: i can't believe what a jerk that guy was

me: who is the jerk?
    The dog owner is, of course. But to make a stupid generalization that all dogs and dog owners are like that is, well... stupid.

selfish and ignorant. nice

Thanks!

have a nice day!

Journal Entries
    Images

Next thing you know we'll be told shelters aren't a good place to prepare a meal on a rainy day.

Shelters come with all kinds of vermin.

You can dislike dogs all you want, but they remain part of the scene. No special prohibitions exist against them, and to suggest otherwise will just create unnecessary angst among those who find themselves in such situations.

The ATC offers good advise, though:

Take special measures at shelters. Leash your dog in the shelter area, and ask permission of other hikers before allowing your dog in a shelter. Be prepared to "tent out" when a shelter is crowded, and on rainy days.

can i bring my pet pot-belly pig? pigs are smarter than dogs.

The dog owner is, of course. But to make a stupid generalization that all dogs and dog owners are like that is, well... stupid.
    when you bring a dog into a shelter, do you ask, is everyone okay with my dog being here? are you sure? most will say okay, but some don't mean it. sorry, but lone wolf is quite correct

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    can i bring my pet pot-belly pig? pigs are smarter than dogs.
    mmm, bacon

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Next thing you know we'll be told shelters aren't a good place to prepare a meal on a rainy day.

Shelters come with all kinds of vermin.

You can dislike dogs all you want, but they remain part of the scene. No special prohibitions exist against them, and to suggest otherwise will just create unnecessary angst among those who find themselves in such situations.
    most non-dog owners are in an angst when the dog walks into the shelter, especially when it is raining

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    when you bring a dog into a shelter, do you ask, is everyone okay with my dog being here? are you sure? most will say okay, but some don't mean it. sorry, but lone wolf is quite correct

Yes, I ask. And I'm not mean about it - I know people, and have friends, who are afraid of dogs and I would never keep my dog near them, regardless of how non-aggressive he is, because it's just rude and further gives dog owners a bad rap. If they are not strong-willed enough to say that they don't want my dog in the shelter, I'm sorry, but that's not my problem.

Yes, I ask. And I'm not mean about it - I know people, and have friends, who are afraid of dogs and I would never keep my dog near them, regardless of how non-aggressive he is, because it's just rude and further gives dog owners a bad rap. If they are not strong-willed enough to say that they don't want my dog in the shelter, I'm sorry, but that's not my problem.
    sorry, wrong again. you put folks in an impossible position. they don't want to say no, because the don't want to appear rude or have a confrontation. if they don't have a dog, 99 times out of 100 they don't want your dog there. so, unless the person says cute dog, pets him, and offers to let the dog in before you ask, you are the one being rude for even asking

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++