WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Doc Holiday Arrested In MD

This guy was in his late 40's early 50's with two young adults living in shelters on the MD AT. I know Bronco ran into him and was given a shady story about thru hiking. He had a big german shepard in the shelters and was scaring all hikers away. This got the attention of park rangers and eventually the US Marshells(sp?) becasue Doc Holiday and one of his side kicks had outstanding warrants. The day we pasted him at the State Park south of the free hiker campground he was arrested "guns drawn." Another hiker gave me a number to the ranger who was looking for info and I gave him a call. I had been hiking with Robo Jesus for a couple of days and when we got to a shelter where Doc was staying Robo sign the log book. When the cops asked Doc his name he told them he was Robo Jesus! Trying not to give his real name but no go they got him. The next day we had the best trail magic from Bronco! Free soda and he even went to town and got me a pizza (Nature carried it up the trail for me ). Bronco then told us the story of this guy who he ran into on the trail and gave him a story full of lies. So Bronco thanks for looking out for us on the trail your a very cool guy that I hope to hike with in the future. I saw Bronco's topic being bashed and wanted to share this story. How can a hiker forum turn into a arguement beats the helll out of me. Peace and Love !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomer View Post
    This guy was in his late 40's early 50's with two young adults living in shelters on the MD AT. I know Bronco ran into him and was given a shady story about thru hiking. He had a big german shepard in the shelters and was scaring all hikers away. This got the attention of park rangers and eventually the US Marshells(sp?) becasue Doc Holiday and one of his side kicks had outstanding warrants. The day we pasted him at the State Park south of the free hiker campground he was arrested "guns drawn." Another hiker gave me a number to the ranger who was looking for info and I gave him a call. I had been hiking with Robo Jesus for a couple of days and when we got to a shelter where Doc was staying Robo sign the log book. When the cops asked Doc his name he told them he was Robo Jesus! Trying not to give his real name but no go they got him. The next day we had the best trail magic from Bronco! Free soda and he even went to town and got me a pizza (Nature carried it up the trail for me ). Bronco then told us the story of this guy who he ran into on the trail and gave him a story full of lies. So Bronco thanks for looking out for us on the trail your a very cool guy that I hope to hike with in the future. I saw Bronco's topic being bashed and wanted to share this story. How can a hiker forum turn into a arguement beats the helll out of me. Peace and Love !!!!
    I guess this is the "topic" you are referring to?:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=Doc+Holliday

Images

I believe that Bronco's initial post was bashed because it raised red flags ... seeking the location of a hiker and asking for his description. In general, a request of that nature could be made by someone with nefarious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    I believe that Bronco's initial post was bashed because it raised red flags ... seeking the location of a hiker and asking for his description. In general, a request of that nature could be made by someone with nefarious intent.
    Agreed . . . but equally perplexing is why someone would inquire about a complete asshat without giving folk the slightest reason as to why. . . . this whole story stinks. . . .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    In general, a request of that nature could be made by someone with nefarious intent.
    Yeah, and they might be planning something bad too.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Actually, tho Bronco's initial post (on the other thread) could have been handled/written better, it now appears he had a perfectly legit reason to be curious as to this guy's whereabouts.

There have been several threads lately about how one should deal with suspicious/sketchy people one encouters on the Trail, and what I see time and time again is folks at Whiteblaze telling these concerned people to chill, lighten up, not be paranoid, etc.

In point of fact, there are unusual,sketchy, odd-behaving people on the Trail more often than you might think, and there's nothing wrong with people being concerned about this, and carrying thru with their suspicions or worries, i.e. going to the authorities with their concerns, etc., reporting unusual people or incidents, etc.

The recent history of the Trail includes more than a few folks who committed horrible crimes on or near the Trail, and in almost every case, it was revealed later on that these folks acted, spoke, dressed, or behaved in such a way that other people were concerned about them and their possible future interactions with other hikers.....they they neither told anyone about this or reported their encounters to authorities.

One can only wonder how many incidents or tragedies could have been prevented if people acted on their gut instinct and doubts and made a simple phone call.

In short, there's nothing wrong with staying alert in the backcountry and looking out for yourself and other hikers, and there's nothing paranoid or wrong about acting on your instincts.

AMEN JACK!!!! We had a schizoid threatning hiker in the area,believe me the Rangers know where he is and all the hostels have been notified. Not all who wander in the woods are sane!If the fur on the back of your neck goes up hike on.

Quote Originally Posted by rambunny View Post
    AMEN JACK!!!! We had a schizoid threatning hiker in the area,believe me the Rangers know where he is and all the hostels have been notified. Not all who wander in the woods are sane!If the fur on the back of your neck goes up hike on.
    If you got fur on the back of your neck, the schizoid should hike on!

Images

.................................................. .............
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post

Your original post was better!

It was very well said.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    That's EXACTLY what crossed my mind......
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

The point of "this" post was to inform WB community about an incident that occoured on the AT in MD this past week. I feel as though there should be no need to create a confrontational thread. This web site has helped me to be a better hiker and stay incontact with friends. Can't say that I have ever been so confussed on how some can still turn this into a debate. Just trying to have a good time and see some great views along the way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Your original post was better!

It was very well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    That's EXACTLY what crossed my mind......
    Thanks. I'm gonna sleep on it though.
    Skids

As I said in Bronco's thread, all he had to do was state why he was looking and he would likely have gotten better responses. Instead, he got mad at people which lowers the level of responses. From reading between the lines of his posts, I figured it was either someone who had stolen something and he was tracking him down, or Doc slept with his girlfriend and he wanted to have a conference call with Doc and Smith and Wesson. A little info goes a long way.

I'm glad they caught the guy though.

Images

So, what was Doc's crime?
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Past or present hikers

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Actually, tho Bronco's initial post (on the other thread) could have been handled/written better, it now appears he had a perfectly legit reason to be curious as to this guy's whereabouts.

There have been several threads lately about how one should deal with suspicious/sketchy people one encouters on the Trail, and what I see time and time again is folks at Whiteblaze telling these concerned people to chill, lighten up, not be paranoid, etc.

In point of fact, there are unusual,sketchy, odd-behaving people on the Trail more often than you might think, and there's nothing wrong with people being concerned about this, and carrying thru with their suspicions or worries, i.e. going to the authorities with their concerns, etc., reporting unusual people or incidents, etc.

The recent history of the Trail includes more than a few folks who committed horrible crimes on or near the Trail, and in almost every case, it was revealed later on that these folks acted, spoke, dressed, or behaved in such a way that other people were concerned about them and their possible future interactions with other hikers.....they they neither told anyone about this or reported their encounters to authorities.

One can only wonder how many incidents or tragedies could have been prevented if people acted on their gut instinct and doubts and made a simple phone call.

In short, there's nothing wrong with staying alert in the backcountry and looking out for yourself and other hikers, and there's nothing paranoid or wrong about acting on your instincts.
    Another good post from Jack...Thanks
    Grampie-N->2001

He just seemed odd to me and his stories did not match the 2 times I saw him. I just asked if anyone knew him and a description. I did not want to ruin a persons reputation. I had no proof he was not legit. all that had to be said was yes I know him and this is what he looks like. did not have to tell where he was, I had no Idea he was wanted. I was looking out for other hikers safety. all I got was a bunch of trash from white blaze. I can not post bs or untrue things about a hiker that I did not know. I had to treat this very carefully. thanks Bloomer for the positive post, the only one I got

Journal Entries
    Images

Moving forward, lets learn from all this.

If Bronco posts a question like this one about a miscreant again:

I am looking for a thru hiker for this year by the name of Doc Holiday. any help on location or description would be a big help
    then its OK to respond.

But if Doc Holiday posts a question like this on the web:

I am looking for a thru hiker for this year by the name of Bronco . any help on location or description would be a big help
    Best to call the police.

++ New Posts ++