WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Cool, thank you very much. I'll give it a study tonight while at work and get back here with any questions. Right now I have a Possible list using gear I already have that is right at 10.1 pounds. With changing some gear for stuff I already want to get I think I can make it sub 10. Right now there are already compromises I would rather not make and I'm trying to work some out of the system.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I just looked at it. Some packs list total carrying capacity and some list just the main compartment - so is 27L the total capacity or the main compartment?
    Not sure, but I think it would be the same either way for that pack, because if you stuff one compartment you get less room in the others. I have the older model, which has only the main compartment, a pouch in the lid, and the 2 mesh bottle carriers, which are a good size, but if you jam a 4" diameter cylinder them it does take a fair chunk away from the main compartment. The new model has a front pouch, but I think they might have dropped the lid pouch. It is the same size and shape though. I see them regularly on sale at the Patagonia store in Freeport, for $50. Nice small lpack

Nice small light pack for $50, but I think the others you listed are better for what you are after, unless you could modify it some. My older model is an oz or two lighter also. I like the lid pouch. It also has a nice snap ring for keys inside the lid pouch, which is actually quite handy.

It would be fun to see how light you could make one of these...

http://www.primitiveways.com/pack_frame.html

...maybe using your bivy or hammock as your pack cover, and your poncho-tarp cordage to tie it all down. You don't save much material going that route, because the bivy is so much bigger than what is needed for your pack, but I like the idea of using light saplings for the two uprights. Easily replaced. Only the bottom piece of the frame and hip belt, would need to be more or less permament. For your UL winter pack it might work well because the volume would be highly variable, so you would have alot of flexibility in what you want to bring, and what clothing you want to leave in the pack while hiking fast on warmer days.

I'll bet it could come in at 10oz, not counting your bivy or hammock. If the upright stays broke they could be replaced, so they could be made lighter.

Images

thee carbon fiber arrow shafts
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

They would work great for the upright stays for sure.

For the bottom stay across the back of your pelvis maybe something different. That is the key piece that needs to be custom made and fitted, and that everything else fits to easily and in the right places at the right angles. The iceman used Larch, which we call tamarack or hacmatack up here. It is fairly light and tough for a softwood and naturally rot resistant. Eastern cedar would be lighter, and perhaps more easily worked. Blue foam padding could make it all simpler, but I think a light plank with the right curve to it would be a good start. Maybe two arrow shafts instead of the bottom plank. The iceman dimension for the 1/2" bottom plank comes in at about 4oz. I think it could be wood and still be lighter.

Eastern cedar can be easily split into veneers just by soaking the wood for awhile and then splitting the growth rings apart. Once dry they could be laminated into a very light and strong curved plank using epoxy. You could fit it to your backside, and trim it down to 2-3 oz. The rest of the frame and straps could be light and simple and would not have to be as durable.

It's not that you need an external frame, or a hip strap, for a 10 pound load. But I think such a rig would give you alot of versatility, for 10 pounds on up, and whatever volume you want to work with. With a bivy you could just dump stuff in and them roll it up and then tie it to the frame, but a few easy access pouched would be handy, which gets you back to a real pack, but still I would like to try the traditional type pack frame. Maybe the bottom piece wouldn't need to be wooden at all, maybe just padded nylon. I have an old fanny pack I should mess around with, see how comfortable it might be. It is way too heavy to begin with, but it would test the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Really awesome job.
    Looking forward to your Sub 10 review.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Basically I'm looking for a volume of about 1800ci (30L) with outside pockets for stuff on the sides, lashing points on the back, and if possible - pockets on the belt. I want something that has a weight under 12 ounces (340 grams).
    You might ask Ron (MLD) about a Revelation, which are no longer in regular production. I use both the Spinntex (3.5oz) and Spectralite (6.1oz) versions for SUL (base around 3 pounds) during 3 season hikes of up to 4+ days. For winter (base around 7 pounds) I stick with the Spectralite version which has bottle pockets and a mesh outside pocket. The Burn is the closest one now in regular production.

That MLD Burn 2010 looks pretty slick.
    Is that like 3 separate pouches on the front of it?
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=140

Thinking about trying a hammock this summer.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Go for the Cuben. The cool factor far outweighs the durability. Doesn't it? Might be more durable than you think.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Love my Go-Lite Breeze.
    I really don't see how they could improve on it except to maybe use a lighter weight material for it's body (but that would probably make it wear out sooner)

I believe when you are packing that light, you don't need a hipbelt.
    i have gotten so used to hiking without one, that when i put on a pack that has one, it hampers my hiking style. (keeps your hips too locked in)

I often pack up to 22 lbs in mine and don't feel that i need a hipbelt.

I have an old Go-Lite "Daypack" that they don't make anymore that is a small version of the "Breeze". I can use it if i have less than 2 days food. It is really not much lighter though.

I doubt I could get my 0 deg. sleeping bag in the Breeze though. (unless I had less than 3 days food) And I feel I need the bigger bag when i go in winter. (which i have not done since 2002 now)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I also prefer a lighter and looser and higher waist strap over a hip belt, but I do like some sort of a belt for stability. It allows the shoulder straps to be worn a bit looser I think. It was just with the iceman type pack frame I am playing around with the idea of a hip belt. For 20 pounds up I do like a hip belt though, but not for 5-15 pounds.

Default Including more detail on your winter hike

SGT Rock,
    If your goal is to carry a sub-10 pound full loaded winter pack, then you should not have any difficult in doing so depending on where you are winter hiking. What I would suggest you also include some details on where you are planning on winter hiking. This past winter, I left for a 4 day over night "winter" hike in December with a little over 2 pounds of gear. Sounds ok but the place I was "winter" hiking was Hawaii. Hawaii. For those that don't know Hawaii has no real winter. It just rains a lot in the winter months.
    If you are winter hiking on the southern portion or mid-Atlantic states of the AT, winter hiking with less than 10 pounds really is not that hard. It not until the New England states when you start needing to push over the 10 pounds of gear.
    The pack I would suggest is the REI Flash UL. It's 9 oz before trimming down all the extras and extreme comfortable pack for UL backpacking.
    Wolf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    SGT Rock,
    If your goal is to carry a sub-10 pound full loaded winter pack, then you should not have any difficult in doing so depending on where you are winter hiking. What I would suggest you also include some details on where you are planning on winter hiking. This past winter, I left for a 4 day over night "winter" hike in December with a little over 2 pounds of gear. Sounds ok but the place I was "winter" hiking was Hawaii. Hawaii. For those that don't know Hawaii has no real winter. It just rains a lot in the winter months.
    If you are winter hiking on the southern portion or mid-Atlantic states of the AT, winter hiking with less than 10 pounds really is not that hard. It not until the New England states when you start needing to push over the 10 pounds of gear.
    The pack I would suggest is the REI Flash UL. It's 9 oz before trimming down all the extras and extreme comfortable pack for UL backpacking.
    Wolf
    Thanks Wolf, if anyone knows going light it's you.

Basically I'm looking at something local in the Smokies but not on the AT so I can camp without the shelter system and reservations. Probably looking at January before it gets low enough to really test the gear out. I'm hoping to put together a kit for a hammock camper that is warm and is under 10 pounds and works down to the single digits where I can estimate reliable performance down to 0F barring huge piles of snow like we had this last winter. I figure I should be able to deal with snow, but not to the point I have to snow shoe the trail. The "rules" I have set up for myself:

1. Base "dry" pack weight of less than 10 pounds.
    2. Worn/carried gear does not exceed 6 pounds so I can't cheat by loading up my pockets.
    3. All consumables like fuel, water, food, TP, etc will not count in my base weight.
    4. Gear must include a hammock.
    5. I've got to have hot meals and coffee.
    6. Luxuries have to still be there. Specifically cigars, bourbon, music, reading and/or games like sodoku and crosswords.
    7. Normal stuff like my dog tags, watch, wedding ring, etc will still be worn and carried. I don't want this to be some stunt where I wear a woman's watch and make a rubber wedding ring to save some grams.

I've got a preliminary packing list together. Some of the gear I know will work to the temps I am planning - clothing and such. The real trick is going to be staying warm at night in the hammock and finding a light way to carry everything.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Love my Go-Lite Breeze.
    I really don't see how they could improve on it except to maybe use a lighter weight material for it's body (but that would probably make it wear out sooner)

I believe when you are packing that light, you don't need a hipbelt.
    i have gotten so used to hiking without one, that when i put on a pack that has one, it hampers my hiking style. (keeps your hips too locked in)

I often pack up to 22 lbs in mine and don't feel that i need a hipbelt.

I have an old Go-Lite "Daypack" that they don't make anymore that is a small version of the "Breeze". I can use it if i have less than 2 days food. It is really not much lighter though.

I doubt I could get my 0 deg. sleeping bag in the Breeze though. (unless I had less than 3 days food) And I feel I need the bigger bag when i go in winter. (which i have not done since 2002 now)
    Funny you mention that. I just read a review of the Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak pack and they said it was just like the breeze except lighter - 10 ounces. I happen to know someone that owns one and I am trying to talk her into loaning it to me.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Just got a deal on a GG Murmur. I hope it fits the bill.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

It looks to be very functional. Hope it has a great personality.

It might look better if it wasn't blue, as that reminds me of those cheap plastic tarps.
    Probably looks better in person.

Images

Its spinntex or whatever. I tried a pack similar to this once, it is actually a lot more durable than it looks. But noisy.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

AT 2012

Just got a deal on a GG Murmur. I hope it fits the bill.
    mine's scheduled to arrive on tuesday, and i can't wait. going to be hiking with it south from sam's gap to max patch in a couple of weeks, and i should be sub 5 pounds (just) -- with a hammock. with handy resupply (and restaurant) in Hot Springs my goal is to never carry more than 8 pounds on my back. my "have to have" list doesn't include a stove if i can find a restaurant meal somewhere during the day. i am planning on using just the one section "sit pad" insert in the pack. i figure i'll throw it under my feet in the hammock. i use a (rare) JRB torso length underquilt in warm weather, by the way...with JRB's modified driduck poncho for a little more multi-use warmth.
    Lazarus

Default e in

Its spinntex or whatever. I tried a pack similar to this once, it is actually a lot more durable than it looks. But noisy.
    I think that is similar or the same as what is used for spinnakers on sailboats, which is very functional and very durable and does look alot better up close in person than those cheap blue plastic tarps. Do they ever make hammocks out of that same material? I can see noise being an issue hiking and sleeping, but packed right I think a pack would be ok, and a hammock too maybe, but I could see a tarp being too noisy unless you got it stretched out nicely. I wonder if there are other tricks for dealing with noisy but otherwise good materials.

Have fun with that pack. Looking forward to your complete list and review. It is light enough to work in summer up here, and most winter weekends also if you choose them carefully. It will be interesting to see what is in common between the two lists, although I understand some stuff from your 5 pound list didn't quite cut the muster.

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++