WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default You will be fine.

I have met all kinds of hikers on the trail and do not think any have had any problems that i have seen.

I have also been in the dogpatch more than once and never heard racist comments. But maybe i missed clan hour .

Most of this thread speaks to racism in the context that it can only come from white people. I for one have been walking down a inner city street more than once and been called whitey, honkie cracker or whatever. Guess it was bacause I was the minority there. Guess i judge people on their merits vs sterotyping every person in a certain area a racist.
    Anyway i believe you will be fine. There are idiots and ******** in every race. Most of the people i have met along the trail are among the nicest i have ever met in life in general.

I stopped at the Dogpatch 3 times. Twice it was a very nice experience. The third time I hit the clan hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    I moved to TN in 1988. That year, there were KKK standing on the corners of our small town in white robes trying to recruit. Anyone who says it's a thing of the past is crazy, it's just gone further underground. Having Obama elected seems to have drawn out the racists from the woodwork though. As a teacher, I'm appalled by what I hear from my students, who obviously are still learning it from mommy and daddy. As a teacher it is hugely frustrating to hear 8th graders talking the way they do. And this year it's been even worse.
    I expect you'll have a hard time hitchhiking in the south, and if I were you, I'd be very careful. There's a lot of people really pissed off because we have a Black president. Lots of pick up trucks down here still waving the confederate flag.
    It's no different (level of racism) in the inner city and even in areas of liberal/progressive America; racism is equally as bad and disgusting - both sides. Just look at the two black panther dudes supported by the ACLU/DoJ - intimidating white voters and they get off scott free.

I think organizations like the Black Panthers and the Jewish Anti-Defamation League are fundamentally different than the KKK and neo-nazis and so forth. Sure, some actions by those groups, considered in isolation, are often wrong, even deplorable, and might be similar to some actions by the KKK and neo-nazi groups, but some are some actions by police.

Are the Black Panthers racist? Sure, in a sense. So is the Jewish Anti-Demation League.
    But not in the same sense that the KKK or Neo-Nazis are racist. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post

Are the Black Panthers racist? Sure, in a sense. So is the Jewish Anti-Demation League.
    oh puhleese you are seriously ignorant

Perhaps I am. I have heard of alot more violence from the KKK and neo-nazis, and police, than from the Black Panther Partry or the ADL. Just going by wh

Just going by what I see in the news.

My best friend was a black man (I am white), we met in the first grade and remained friends until his death earlier this yr. It was 1965 when we met, he was the only black person in our elementary school. Everybody loved him. At his funeral it was stated that we (the people who knew him and his family) didn't understand racsim, It is still hard for me to understand, especially from a white perspective. I still stay in touch with his Mom, she is 86 now. I told him before he died I would, I love this family as if they were mine, and I'm sure they would say the same for me.

Black or white, there is good and bad in every race. That it what we need to look at, not the color of our skin!

Images

plenty of good advice and tips in these forums. thanks for serving our country. your race will not be a factor. plenty of people would be proud to hike alongside you
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Springer to Atkins, VA

Thank you for your service....have a great hike. cheers.

Talking "Denial is not just a river in Egypt"

I am constantly amazed by so many people who pretend racism is a dead issue and that the question asked by this poster is not relevant or should not be. It is VERY relevant. For blacks, and perhaps other minorities, the US is still peopled with a variety of humans who may: 1. accept each person as they are...2 judge each person first by color, or region...3. dislike people with skin color, sexual orientation, religion or ethnicity different than theirs...4 welcome the interaction with minorities as opportunities to vent, try out fantasies or drive home political positions.

This is just a fact. All of that does not disappear when a person starts to hike and no--all of that does not become benign when a person is up North either. The fact is--this was a very good question and only a few gave it the merit that it deserves--but like most questions, people only relate it to themselves (ie--if THEY did not have any trouble or notice anything racial, then there must not be anything like that happening and it MUST be in the reaction/attitude or imagination of the minority).

There is a HIGH liklihood that a black will encounter some racial tension or have to endure some level of bs on the trail not related to the hike--why? because the same people that use any trail are simply people from all walks of life in the US and beyond. But attitude will go a long way--if you do plan to do that hike in 2013--that is awesome!!! A sense of humour will probably go a long way, and common sense is a great idea...(I dream of the AT hike when doing other, much smaller hikes...I am "hit on" by men who tell me that they always were attracted to black girls" and I am asked the weirdest of questions. Luckily, when I express no interest, it usually does not go further than that, though I had one persistent man whose insistence on accompanying me made me cut my hike short...

Would I expect the AT to be different? No--but I also, have wondered if there have been any black thru hikers on the AT and what their experience is like... Since in this day and age (2011) I am still asked the stupidest things, or ignored at stores or have the occasional store clerk who ignores me or refuses to put my change in my hand due to possible cooties....Do I expect a trail to be prejudice and racist free? No. But honestly, I expect those who hike to be a great and embracing community with much bigger ideas than skin color on their mind--as for towns--in my experiences in the South and East coast, I'd say the places to be more cautious about hitching or going into towns would be --W. VA, and PA. Each still maintains a pocket of racism and potential violence not easily erased by the years. --and unlike religion, sexual orientation and other things many of these pockets have prejudices about--race is a very hard thing to neutralize or hide--when its very existence is a clarion call (for some) to cause problems.

Does anyone know of ANY black person who has thru hiked the AT?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandybeach View Post

Serial, he posts here all the time.

No Pain.

We all have a little prejudice in us. I'm a little weary of homeless people, especially the ones without teeth.

Flaming redheads kind of freak me out also

Images

yeah and Serial is a just another great guy.

Journal Entries

Default have fun

come on everybody. you throw race and religon into the pot it always boils over. just get your supplies and start walking. that's what i,m going to do, hopefully a year from now when i retire. hope to see you.

For LittleJohn1999: I'd like to know what post offices provide mail drops along the way that do not entail hitchhiking into a town. I am seriously considering a hike in 2013 also and would like to minimize the idea of hitching which to be honest, terrifies me. (years ago, I had a friend who hitched get gang raped--she was picked up by a man who drove her to his waiting crew) and since I am accosted fairly regularly just walking around town--or maybe the loads of sweat, dirt and general stinkiness will deter all? LOL

For LittleJohn1999: I'd like to know what post offices provide mail drops along the way that do not entail hitchhiking into a town.
    There's a few, but not going to list them, that's what guidebooks are for.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I think organizations like the Black Panthers and the Jewish Anti-Defamation League are fundamentally different than the KKK and neo-nazis and so forth. Sure, some actions by those groups, considered in isolation, are often wrong, even deplorable, and might be similar to some actions by the KKK and neo-nazi groups, but some are some actions by police.

They are not different at all. The BP uses violence just like the KKK, and the ADL lists white pride groups as racist, when they are just celebrating their heritage. Also, consider the news source is extremely leftist, so I would take anything they say with a huge grain of salt.

Personally, I judge people on an individual basis, and have friends of all races.

Journal Entries
    Images

The trail is a pretty diverse place, with people from all walks. I think you'll fit right in!
    alifelongpursuit.blogspot.com

Images

Why is there even a debate going on about the KKK? Is there a less significant organization in the world than the KKK?

You shouldn't even compare them to the Black Panthers.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++