WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best Ultra light tent

Hello- i am sure you all seen this forum a million times, but i dont feel like searching for answers.
    I am looking to upgrade my tent. i currently have a 2person 4lb 14oz tent and i am looking for some a little more lighter then what i currently have. My 48lb packing is just getting to heavy and trying to lighten it up.
    I am looking for a 3 season tent, 2 person (well me n my dog), durrable where i dont get wet in major rain storms and LIGHT. Not looking to spend a fortune but want to get my moneys worth...
    Any recommendations.... i was looking at the big agnes SL2... anyone have this or know someone who has it???

Quote Originally Posted by Saffirre8 View Post
    Hello- i am sure you all seen this forum a million times, but i dont feel like searching for answers.
    I am looking to upgrade my tent. i currently have a 2person 4lb 14oz tent and i am looking for some a little more lighter then what i currently have. My 48lb packing is just getting to heavy and trying to lighten it up.
    I am looking for a 3 season tent, 2 person (well me n my dog), durrable where i dont get wet in major rain storms and LIGHT. Not looking to spend a fortune but want to get my moneys worth...
    Any recommendations.... i was looking at the big agnes SL2... anyone have this or know someone who has it???
    I have a Lunar Solo (24 oz) and love it. It's a single person tent but unless your dog is Kujo it should be large enough for the two of you
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

You and your dog would fit in the Tarptent Contrail, too.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Many hikers looking to lighten up their shelter choose a single-wall tarp/tent combo, from Tarptent, Six Moons Designs, Lightheart, etc. We've been using this sort of tent since 2004, and have had very good experiences with several models. They tend to be less expensive than the high-end UL double-wall tents you can buy at REI and other outfitters.

Some suggestions for 1 person plus dog:

Tarptent Rainbow or Double Rainbow. The Double is larger and a little heavier but provides two full doors and netting on both sides. More ventilation. The latest Rainbow is easily large enough for one person plus a dog.

Tarptent Moment or Contrail. Smaller one-person shelters. I use a Moment for solo hiking. If your dog is a smaller breed, these might work.

We use a SMD Lunar Duo for two-person hiking, and love it. Might be overkill for one+dog, though.

I've seen the Lightheart tents at a hiker gathering, but haven't tried one. The solo has a lot of ventilation. Not sure about how large a dog might fit in with you.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

how big is the dog?
    I saw a new tent last year during my thru hike and bought one..it's been (for me) the best piece of gear I've purchased. I'm a gear junkie and that is saying a lot!
    http://www.lightheartgear.com/ The Lightheart weighs in under two pounds and is very roomy. It sets up in seconds and keeps the bugs and rain out...it does everything a tent should! She now has a 2 person model but if the dog isn't a "big" dog, there would still be room inside the solo tent for you, your gear and the dog.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Images

The new Nemo Meta 2P may be a consideration, It comes in at 2.9 Lbs, A little heavier than the Lightheart or Lunar Duo but is constructed with waterproof 20D Nylon PU and should not have the misting issues some of the Silnylon tents seem to have.
    http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2010-meta2p-tent

Last time I checked, Tahoe Mountain Sports had it in stock.

I have the SL3 samr tent but larger. Good tent but pricey as you know I am sure. I would not but a dog in this tent, it is well made but man the fabric is thin. This tent is far from bullet proof IMO and I think a dog would tear it, especially the netting. My wife and I have small holes in the netting and we are not rough with this tent at all. We got the holes during a section hike 75 miles on the AT but I think you can get more for your money somewhere else; hard to say considering I own the tent and spent the money.
    Schnikel

I would reccomend the Black Diamond Megalite. At 1.5 lbs, and room for two + dog+gear +? I have used mine for over 5 years and love it. The thing is, it has no floor so no risk of the dog tearing it up, no worry about getting in it with boots on. If its raining it takes a couple of minutes to set up and get in. It is not a traditional double wall but a worthy conssideration IMHO.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

You might want to look at the Squall Classic from Gossamer Gear. It is the original Squall design with a floor and netting made from spinnaker cloth under license from Tarp tent. Mine weighs 27 0z. with lines, stakes and stuff sack. A little pricey at $300+ but it is well made and light.

Thanks for all the info... My puppy is a yellow lab and he is only 3 months old and 40lbs. They say he will be a "big" dog by the size of his giant paws. I'm thinking he will be 100 lbs by the time he is a year old. i plan on sleeping in shelter with him, but i like to take a tent just incase the shelters are to crowded with thru-hikers. I'm taking my puppy on his 1st overnighter next weekend. Snickers Gap to Harpers Ferry.

Images

For a dog, I would consider getting a floorless tent like Restless suggested.

Panzer

Images

A 100-lb dog? Wow. That's a lot of dog food....

In that case I agree that I'd look at the Megalite. My hiking partner uses one -- great tent. It's basically a giant pyramid tarp, no floor, though you can get a floor and bug netting if you like. (He doesn't use them.) Easy to use and plenty of room inside, including room to stand up, even in bad weather.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Nemo makes a floor cover called the Paw Print that goes inside their tents designed specifically to protect the tent floor from dog paws. Other makers may offer something similar but this is the first time I've seen such an item. They also make a footprint which goes under the tent like all other manufacturers.

100 lb dog!!!??? I would definitely plan on sleeping in a tent. With a large dog, such as yours will grow to be and even with a small puppy such as yours is, a dog in a shelter generally does not work. For starters, other people may not want the dog in the shelter due to allergies, a general dislike or fear of dogs, not wanting the dog to walk all over their possessions, especially if the dog is wet and/or smelly. It is just good hiker courtesy to not expect other people to sleep with your dog . Also, dogs tend to get territorial and defensive if another animal attempts to approach, such as wehar raccoons and skunks and bears are prone to do at night. I'm all for dogs on the trail as I have previously hiked with one. But common courtesy goes a lot further than a cute dog
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Images

My wife and I have a large dog, a sheperd.
    When either of us go out solo, but with the dog, we use a Tarptent Rainbow. It's easily got enough room for 1 person and a large dog.

++ New Posts ++