WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default for class of 2011

im curious to know how many of you have a full pack, ie has all of you baught all your thru hike supplys yet? or am i the only one that is incomplete

I am always upgrading, lowering weight, and buying new gear. I'll be ready March 31 for April 1.
    Currently focusing on menus and purchasing food.

Tumbleweed

I am with RETCW4. Always changing. Always upgrading. I have my thru hikers companion and data book, but no maps yet, not sure if I'll get them or not yet. I have to get back to Alaska next month to grab all my BP gear and throw my truck on a barge to the lower 48. Have no idea what my base weight is yet. Have been buying food for three months now at an average of $200.oo a month. Have stove(s), pack, boots, hammock, clothes etc.... dialed in, but lots to get yet, and tons to do. Just bought a bad ass dehydrator. Plan on eating good. 9 months to go, no worries. Plan on leaving Springer early March. Winter will dictate departure. Good luck to all, looking forward to seeing you on the Trail.
    Tortoise

Images

I'm trying to do this Ultralight thing right, so I'm researching gear. I did buy my pack( Granite Gear Vapor Trail), my stove(MSR Pocket Rocket), and my Boots(Vasques gore-tex).

I'm trying to decide whether or not I want a hammock. I could save a lot of weight with a tarp, but I'd be sacrificing a lot of comfort. I have everything picked out except for my shelter and a jacket.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

I have about half of my gear. Still working on a pack and maybe a stove the weighs less. I'm almost there though!
    21.1% Done

Images

I started researching and buying back in September, I have everything I need to hit the A.T. right now. At this point I am shaking down and replacing gear to fine tune my set up and reduce pack weight and size of gear. Have a new Cooking pot setup, stove, Tent and GSI french press for coffee being delivered tomorrow and Friday.

Images

I've been accumulating and testing gear for the last two years. I'm ready! Takes a while to learn all the intricacies of the gear so having several "shakedown" hikes with the gear is a good idea.

See you out there!

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

I as well have all the necessary gear needed im just trying to downsize and reduce weight (I carry an Osprey atmos 35). Just purchased a 1 and 2 liter platy yesterday!

I am currently researching at new tarp for hammock and an overquilt, as I was cold on the LT last october with ONLY JRB's mt warshington 4. I am leaning towards the versatility and weight of the warbonnet Mamba. Also, a new ti pot with the correct alchy stove. As far as food goes, I learned that buying as I go will be the best bet so. Oh, and I guess ill need the thruhikers companion ... eventually ; ))

Goal: 4 lbs base weight (big three...or 4?)

@mountainwildman - Are you mailing all of your coffee for the trip? ive considered this because instant coffee gets old.. quick!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_GOEZ View Post

@mountainwildman - Are you mailing all of your coffee for the trip? ive considered this because instant coffee gets old.. quick!
    Have you tried the starbucks stuff? That Nestle instant isn't that bad.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Have you tried the starbucks stuff? That Nestle instant isn't that bad.
    I have yet to try the starbucks stuff. My dad seems to think that It is worth it, but who knows. ive always camped with the Nestle stuff, and it isnt that bad, for being on the trail ; ) I was just thinking - it might be worth bringing a luxury item for the fresh-pressed coffee each morning.

All things considered, there is a wide array of edible plants available which one can substitute for coffee, which it might be worth foraging for.

Images

Thumbs up Coffee

I as well have all the necessary gear needed im just trying to downsize and reduce weight (I carry an Osprey atmos 35). Just purchased a 1 and 2 liter platy yesterday!

I am currently researching at new tarp for hammock and an overquilt, as I was cold on the LT last october with ONLY JRB's mt warshington 4. I am leaning towards the versatility and weight of the warbonnet Mamba. Also, a new ti pot with the correct alchy stove. As far as food goes, I learned that buying as I go will be the best bet so. Oh, and I guess ill need the thruhikers companion ... eventually ; ))

Goal: 4 lbs base weight (big three...or 4?)

I don't have anyone that I can rely on to do mail drops so I will be buying supplies as I go, Coffee is a necessity, so I will likely start with a pound in a ziploc bag and buy more as needed, I don't do instant unless there is no other choice. Coffee is sold by the pound everywhere so I should have no problem. I originally bought the MSR Mugmate filter but was real unhappy with my coffee on Memorial Day Camping Trip so I ordered the GSI 30 oz. French Press, It is around 10 ounces in weight but like I said, To me coffee is a necessity, Almost more important than food.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

To me coffee is a necessity, Almost more important than food.

I know that feeling! I will continue research and see what I can find. Thanks for the input!

I will probably still be changing stuff out while on the trail. I never seem to be satisfied with what I have.
    You are never too old.

Images

To me coffee is a necessity, Almost more important than food.

I know that feeling! I will continue research and see what I can find. Thanks for the input!
    You are welcome, If I end up hiking with someone next year, We may be able to split the coffee and only have to carry half a pound or less.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    You are welcome, If I end up hiking with someone next year, We may be able to split the coffee and only have to carry half a pound or less.
    HAHAH! Deal! If you carry the coffee, ill carry the press! Im leaving early may from Springer. How about you?

Images

Wink Hike Big Miles

HAHAH! Deal! If you carry the coffee, ill carry the press! Im leaving early may from Springer. How about you?
    Planning on leaving in March, You will have to move fast and catch up, Don't worry though, I'll drink your share of the coffee until you catch up to me. So it won't go to waste!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chenango View Post
    I will probably still be changing stuff out while on the trail. I never seem to be satisfied with what I have.
    Same here Chenango.
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Drink enough of that coffee and I WONT be able to catch you before katahdin. I am in good shape and move at a quicker pace, usually. well see, either way, hope to see ya oot and aboot!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    I don't have anyone that I can rely on to do mail drops so I will be buying supplies as I go, Coffee is a necessity, so I will likely start with a pound in a ziploc bag and buy more as needed, I don't do instant unless there is no other choice. Coffee is sold by the pound everywhere so I should have no problem. I originally bought the MSR Mugmate filter but was real unhappy with my coffee on Memorial Day Camping Trip so I ordered the GSI 30 oz. French Press, It is around 10 ounces in weight but like I said, To me coffee is a necessity, Almost more important than food.
    One other alternative is to carry the Folger's or other brand of Coffee Singles. In my opinion they are better than instant, but not quite as good as the regular ground coffee. They come in a box of something like 20, and they are in a tea bag which can easily be brewed in hot boiling water, and the nice thing is they are very light.

Quote Originally Posted by sidebackside View Post
    Same here Chenango.
    Sidebackside - it gets expensive unfortunatley. Thus, I am never to fast to pull the trigger on buying the new stuff.
    You are never too old.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++