WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: has WB gotten STUPID over the last 2 years , or WHAT?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

As one who has joined within the past two years, upon advise of council I respectfully refuse to answer the question.

There is no such thing as a dumb question.

There is such a thing as a LAZY question - one that can easily be answered by reading forums or googled, i.e. what's the weather like on Katadin.

Should LAZY questions be ignored or given a wise-a** reply? There's a recent lazy one I'm dying to lay in to (clue: why not take a train there...).

tideblazer
    Images

Default not stupid, just catering to newbies

I stopped reading or posting on this site mostly when it was taken over by new overzealous admins who had not a lot a time around a fire, relatively speaking. But you have to remember that admins have a tough job.

I remember it used to be far more allowing of "casual talk," i.e., the kind of fellowship about WHATEVER you have when on the trail. I used this site in the off season to keep up with folks and continue the conversations most of us had, especially those with more than 3 thru hikes. After a while, i craved for the same like minds, despite our differences in politics, opinions on trekking poles, etc. Protecting newbies from cantankerous oldies is unfortunate. Information about the trail used to be a mystery, even with guidebooks. Most times I have gone back on, there are very few new questions at all.

I don't know what it's like now, to be honest. Maybe its all better and back to normal. But I really don't care anymore.

The good thing about it changing is that I spend far less time on the computer and more time outside. I'm glad it went downhill for my needs.

If this is thanks in part of intentional design by WB, then I find it quite genius, and hardly stupid at all: Weed out those with the most extensive experience, so you don't have the entire trail spoonfed to people.

I'd rather watch a fire. There's more info to be received from one campfire than on this entire website.

It's nothing personal. I like this site, and everyone on it.

all the best everyone
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor"?
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor"?
    Otter (Tim Matheson): [whispering] Germans?

Boon (Peter Riegert): Forget it, he's rolling.

Loved that movie.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

The only stupid thing I can think of is the necessity??? of deleting a thread on purchasing a bicycle. Maybe because it's not hiking oriented?
    But that's just the moderators............
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    The only stupid thing I can think of is the necessity??? of deleting a thread on purchasing a bicycle. Maybe because it's not hiking oriented?
    But that's just the moderators............
    It's been over in Non-AT General since it was moved. You are not subscribed, but you you can do that from the home page, left column, group memberships.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    It's been over in Non-AT General since it was moved. You are not subscribed, but you you can do that from the home page, left column, group memberships.
    Do you think it might be a good idea for moderators to alert the authors of moved threads to where they were moved?

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Do you think it might be a good idea for moderators to alert the authors of moved threads to where they were moved?
    That was done as the author was also not subscribed.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

I can't subscribe as I can't donate without using PayPal, which, I've noticed, has had some problems with this site, or so it appears.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I can't subscribe as I can't donate without using PayPal, which, I've noticed, has had some problems with this site, or so it appears.
    Anyone can subscribe to Non-AT General.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dragon View Post
    Has WB gotten STUPID over the last 2 years , or WHAT?
    You're welcome.

hey tinker, i just re-upped using paypal and it went through fine. try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    hey tinker, i just re-upped using paypal and it went through fine. try it again.
    I just send them a check. That also seems to work ok.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Probably, seems to be less smartasses around

Don't you mean "fewer"?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    WB as a whole is anything but stupid. Maybe some threads such as this one but general NO!

Wolf
    so that would be a -what- then?
    it is strange that a man would put the pieces together as they please opposed to being content with where the pieces fall

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie View Post
    I stopped reading or posting on this site mostly when it was taken over by new overzealous admins who had not a lot a time around a fire, relatively speaking. But you have to remember that admins have a tough job.

I remember it used to be far more allowing of "casual talk," i.e., the kind of fellowship about WHATEVER you have when on the trail. I used this site in the off season to keep up with folks and continue the conversations most of us had, especially those with more than 3 thru hikes. After a while, i craved for the same like minds, despite our differences in politics, opinions on trekking poles, etc. Protecting newbies from cantankerous oldies is unfortunate. Information about the trail used to be a mystery, even with guidebooks. Most times I have gone back on, there are very few new questions at all.

I don't know what it's like now, to be honest. Maybe its all better and back to normal. But I really don't care anymore.

The good thing about it changing is that I spend far less time on the computer and more time outside. I'm glad it went downhill for my needs.

If this is thanks in part of intentional design by WB, then I find it quite genius, and hardly stupid at all: Weed out those with the most extensive experience, so you don't have the entire trail spoonfed to people.

I'd rather watch a fire. There's more info to be received from one campfire than on this entire website.

It's nothing personal. I like this site, and everyone on it.

all the best everyone
    I'm just happy there is a humor forum
    it is strange that a man would put the pieces together as they please opposed to being content with where the pieces fall

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    I was going over it in my mind and I was trying to figure out why that particularly timespan was chosen. I think I figured it out.

I was away hiking from April 24, 2008 to October 6, 2008. During that time, the level of stupidity on whiteblaze dropped dramatically.

To say that there was provable causation would be a logical fallacy, but there it is.

Father Dragon joined in November of that year, and was probably working under the theory that the low level of stupidity at the time was standard, rather than an aberration.

Since I've been back the stupidity has gradually risen to its pre-April 24th 2008 levels.

You're all welcome.
    I was actually focused on more what as a theory
    And that's where I stand.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
    Don't you mean "fewer"?
    Geez..........at least explain WHY it should be fewer vs. less.

Do it in a lengthy manner with many similies, metaphors, and colorful adjectives (don't forget to mention that the "d" in adjectives is NOT silent),
    and then, and only then, will you have graduated into the greatness of Wise-assedness.

...........and then you can berate me for being an old feeble-minded fart who forgot that we were talking about SMARTasses. D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dragon View Post
    I'm just happy there is a humor forum
    Time to move THIS thread?????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++