WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Appalachian Trail may cross Atlantic - Press Herald

Press Herald

Appalachian Trail may cross Atlantic
    Press Herald
    TOWNSHIP 5, RANGE 8 - First, there was the Appalachian Trail, which winds 2175 miles along the mountainous spine of the ...

and more »

More...

Journal Entries

The Appalachian Trail starts in Georgia and ends on Katahdin. It was created by volunteers and rescued by the government starting in the late 60s.

The so called International Appalachian Trail began as a campaign gimmick in an unsuccessful gubernatorial campaign by Dick Anderson, a campaign supporter. After the defeat, Anderson continued to champion the idea with some success.

I welcome new trails everywhere. But whatever gets built in England, Scotland or Morocco will have no realistic connection to the American Appalachian Trail, just as the entirely different trail concept that runs through the maritime provinces of Canada has no connection with the Appalachian Trail, aside from borrowing the name, "Appalachian."

Weary

....and following the same geologic formation.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    ....and following the same geologic formation.
    Perhaps, but I find it difficult with my limited geologic knowledge to picture the same range of mountains traversing both Scotland and Morocco -- and Maine.

Maine and Morocco fits my knowledge perceptions. But adding England and Scotland adds confusion in my ignorant state.

A geologist who had never been a scholar in these matters -- until he went to teach at the U of Maine -- first speculated about the connection between the Maine coast and north Africa, based on similar fossil plants and animals.

As I recall his background consisted of a high school diploma before he startled the scientific world.

Weary

My knowledge of geology is also extremely limited and I don't understand it, either.

The range also includes the coast of Greenland, Iceland, Norway, and some Arctic islands in addition to most of the British Isles, most of the east coast of North America and the corresponding bit of the African coast. This explains it best:

Here's where I got the map: http://www.unil.ch/igp/page22656_en.html

It makes sense to me that there should be related trails traversing this grand structure, one of which is called the Appalachian Trail.

Images

I think I'll buy a boat and run shuttles!

++ New Posts ++