WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Going Floorless....

I don't know what to really call them, floorless tents, tarps, tepees, etc, but have been looking into giving them a try. I want something that I guess is more tent style; walls and door(s). I was looking at the Appy Trails Mark 3. http://www.appytrails.com/index.html Anyone familiar with them? Anything comparable to suggest? I don't use trekking poles so would need something that either has a pole (like the Appy Trails), can be hung or can get a pole to use with it. One or two person.
    Also looked at the Sierra Designs Origami 2, but it seams to need a lot of ground (its big). https://www.sierradesigns.com/p-122-...ltralight.aspx
    I'm starting to like the idea and weight, and want to give them an honest try.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Default What about bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by mykl View Post
    I don't know what to really call them, floorless tents, tarps, tepees, etc, but have been looking into giving them a try. I want something that I guess is more tent style; walls and door(s). I was looking at the Appy Trails Mark 3. http://www.appytrails.com/index.html Anyone familiar with them? Anything comparable to suggest? I don't use trekking poles so would need something that either has a pole (like the Appy Trails), can be hung or can get a pole to use with it. One or two person.
    Also looked at the Sierra Designs Origami 2, but it seams to need a lot of ground (its big). https://www.sierradesigns.com/p-122-...ltralight.aspx
    I'm starting to like the idea and weight, and want to give them an honest try.
    I look for two things in a shelter -- protection from rain and protection from bugs. A floorless tent can protect you from rain, but can't keep the mosquitos out.
    Shutterbug

Images

I am not familiar with Appy Trails and prefer a tent with full protection, Golite offers their Shangri-la series that also has the availability to add a floor and even a full mesh with floor if you decide floorless is not for you after all.
    http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDe...&mc=154&t=&lat=

Images

That Appy Trails site is atrocious. I want to gouge my eyes out. Aesthetics aside, isn't polyester fabric a bad idea? I thought that stuff degraded in sunlight much faster than nylon. I suppose that's why the price is so low.

You can get a pole from Quest Outfitters.

How much do you want to spend?

I have an Integral Designs floorless tentw times. Used it only a few times and don't like it. I use a Lunar Solo instead. The addtl 6 or 7 ozs for the floor is well worth it.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

AWOL (Awol2003) used a floorless Black Diamond Beta Light for his thru-hike and sewed some mosquito netting around the bottom to keep bugs out.

Images

if bugs are a problem, you need a floor or bug net. if you don't mind the bugs then the lack of a floor is no problem. tarps and other floorless shelters work well in the cooler seasons when bugs are not an issue. however, if you want to save weight by using this type of shelter, zippers and such are un-necessary and only add the weight that you are attempting to save. if weight is the reason for the choice then the lightest, most simple shelter is what your looking for.
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

One Foot in Front of the Other WinterWarlock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    I am not familiar with Appy Trails and prefer a tent with full protection, Golite offers their Shangri-la series that also has the availability to add a floor and even a full mesh with floor if you decide floorless is not for you after all.
    http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDe...&mc=154&t=&lat=
    +1 to that - love my ShangriLa - have the Nest, and the floor, so depending on time of year and conditions, I can choose to use anyway I want.
    It don't matter if I get a little tired
    I'll sleep when I'm dead - Warren Zevon

Images

Do I understand correctly?
    You have to hang it to get the peak?
    That limits your camping spots , no balds, mountain tops, fields or meadows. I think I'd pass it up for that reason alone, but to each his own.

One Foot in Front of the Other WinterWarlock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Do I understand correctly?
    You have to hang it to get the peak?
    That limits your camping spots , no balds, mountain tops, fields or meadows. I think I'd pass it up for that reason alone, but to each his own.
    If you're talking about the ShangriLa, no, you don't have to hang it. There is a center pole (at least on SL-3). Hanging is an option though...
    It don't matter if I get a little tired
    I'll sleep when I'm dead - Warren Zevon

Images

No, I meant the Appy Trails Mk III the OP was talking about

Hike smarter, not harder.

Appy Trails comes with a pole. You have the option to hang it. Roomy and light if you you don't mind not having a floor. Haven't been in one in the rain yet.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Here are a few floorless designs that I know of that are somewhat tent like. Note that many are tiny manufacturers that you buy direct from since this is a niche market.

-Six Moons Designs Oasis Shelter
    -Zpacks Heximid
    -Mountain Laurel Designs Solo/Duo mids shelters (pyramid tarp like shelters)
    -Golite use to make a floorless tent called the uptopia that you can still buy on clearance at REI. Their Shangri-La shelter is a pyramid like tarp with 4walls.
    -Gossemer Gear's Spinnshelter, though I think its prone to condensation if you completely close it up.

Henry Shires Tarptent use to make floorless versions of some of their models, but seems to no longer do so. However, you may find one used for sale.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    That Appy Trails site is atrocious. I want to gouge my eyes out. Aesthetics aside, isn't polyester fabric a bad idea? I thought that stuff degraded in sunlight much faster than nylon. I suppose that's why the price is so low.

You can get a pole from Quest Outfitters.

How much do you want to spend?

I think you've got it backwards, polyester is more UV resistant than nylon.

I us the original design Tarptent for one person. There is no floor and just one 18 in. pole at the tear. The front pole is your hiking stick. There is bug netting that rests on the ground, and a zippered front door. The ground cloth is either a Tyvek sheet, or a large Poncho that doubles as my rain gear. If you want to go light weight you can NOT BEAT THIS COMBINATION. The tent and single pole weigh just one pound. Bugs are not a problem. It covers a large area, so staying dry is no problem. Try it, you will like it.

Hike smarter, not harder.

You can actually make an extension for a trekking pole and use it for the smaler appy trails.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

if you use a floor-less tent during cool weather, you won't have bug problems.

Panzer

Floorless tents have many advantages.
    I have a few of them and prefer them unless I'm in the tropics with it's many ants.
    You can sew a 8" strip of bug netting on the bottom to drape over the ground to keep out flying insects.
    Advantages: just roll over and half out of the tent to pee.
    Set up over a rock or bush that you don't want to kill (or uneven surface)
    (I once set mine up in a field of pot in Nepal that was 4 feet tall, I just bent it down for my soft mattress that night)
    Rain doesn't fill the bathtub if some does come inside.
    Much lighter weight tents with 1/3 of the material not needed.
    No need to shake out the dirt or sand and dries quicker.

Once you get used to it, it's a better idea IMO.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Garlic
    Images

Add to Fiddlehead's list the ability to fill a water bottle with rain water while sitting in your tent if you make a gutter in the canopy.

Bugs aren't so bad if you don't pitch on an anthill or scorpion nest (that morning sure was fun). Flying insects don't seem to fly under the edge too much.

I think you can get most of Henry Shires Tarptents without a floor.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    (I once set mine up in a field of pot in Nepal that was 4 feet tall, I just bent it down for my soft mattress that night)
    OMG

Panzer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++