WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Brown Mountain Lights Trail?

I know there's a lot of trails to see the Brown Mountain Lights (BML), but is/are there any trail(s) up to brown mountain?

I was also wondering if any researchers ever put any instruments on the mountain and monitored it that way, or is this just not an active research project. I know the Faculty and students at Appalachian State were looking at this, but seems as they gave up http://www.dancaton.physics.appstate...arch/index.htm

I understand that this phenomenon is not exactly a very well predicted occurence, so to see them is not likely and there seems to be no real good time, but I've heard sept-nov is good.

Default Bumpity, bump, bump

I started this on Saturday, so probably not many have seen it.

I'm just curious if hiking is permitted up this mountain. What are the closest trails to the peak of this otherwise nondescript mountain. Seems like if any researchers are serious they would at least place a camera to observe this mountain, much like the Katahdin cam.

Images

I know there are a lot of ATV/ORV trails there.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I don't believe you will find a direct trail to the top of Brown Mtn. I would get the Wilson Creek Trail Map from the Forest Service and that will show the nearest marked trail near Brown Mtn. You should be able to climb the mtn since bushwhacking is okay in this area. I saw a segment on some show on the Discovery Channel on the 12th of June that showed film of the lights and gave some guy's explanantion for them. The trails in this area are great especially for Summer hiking. Plenty of swimming holes.

++ New Posts ++