WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

Angry Hiking in this Hot weather

After two hot humid days in north Alabama and many hours outdoors doing yard work, the heat has taken a toll on me with headaches and zapping me of energy. Which makes me wonder how those thru-hiking handle this hot weather. Do you take low mileage days or a day off? After a couple of months already on the trail do you get used to it. Tonight I am glad to be showered and in a cool place.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

I hate the heat. I just passed on a weekend trip because of it.

If I were on a thru, it would be shorter days or a zero if real hot.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

one day of hiking in high heat takes out of you as much as 2 days of hiking in cool weather.

Panzer

Images

Yeah, my weekly trail running mileage has been cut by 60-70% over the last week or so.

I have plans to hike a 40 mile day and a 32 mile day this coming week but may have to put those plans on hold.

Hiking in this oppressively hot weather can be enjoyable if you are smart about your exertion/miles/water intake/clothing.

This is This is for my Florida hiking; a lot of the vegetation near me is slash pine/palmetto, so that doesn't always lend the best shade. It is my personal experience; as usual, YMMV.

I tend to bring an extra water bottle -- in addition to having it for emergencies -- to soak my bandanna/pack towel and wrap it around my neck, and sometimes I move the bandanna to my wrist, or dip my sleeves in water to keep my wrists cool (cool wrists/neck = helpful in maintaining a lower core temp). In warmer weather, I ALWAYS wear some kind of hat, an ultra-lightweight LONG SLEEVE synthetic (moisture-wicking) shirt, and the lightest, mesh-iest trail runners I own. I don't wipe away sweat unless it starts to get in my eyes; sweat is the body's natural cooling device. I also take a longer mid-day break than I would in cooler weather, and stop more often in between. I start my days earlier and I don't push myself.

Images

Aw come on its not that hot folks... Come work with me and I will show you hot.

Anyway, it would seem logical that one way to beat the heat would be to stop hiking in the hottest part of the day. Get the hiking in early in the morning and later in the evening and get in a cool comfortable spot to take a break and maybe even a nap in that 1-4pm time frame.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Garlic
    Images

I find I really have to pay attention to my body, and make every possible use of natural cooling like time of day, and sweat and water evaporation. If I'm smart about it, I can hike full days in hot weather. For me, that's more water, more salt intake, using shade and breezes if possible to cool off, early starts and mid-day breaks, and paying attention to personal hygiene to avoid skin rashes. If I notice I'm feeling a little dizzy or sick, I'll stop for the day--don't mess around with heat injuries.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

On a day like today you could find a rock shelter or cave with a nice cool breeze blowing and just stay there.

When its hot you just have to hike in the early morning and evening hours...take a really long lunch break and hike until it gets dark, or even until after dark.

I can't add to much to what was already stated. But the key thing to do is "listen" to your body. If you are feeling hot and dizzy get out of the sun and find a shadded spot to rest. And don't stop drinking water. I ran into a situation along the Florida Trail where I did in fact run out of water with a few miles to walk. That walk was tough and I got too close to a heat stroke to be safe. I will not make that mistake again.

Watch taking new meds when hiking,sometimes the meds can mess up your body hydration and thus get dehydrated and loss of essential body minerals. Found out the hard way a few years ago and trust me no fun,when legs and back muscles lock up and still 2 miles from Trailhead with a 1000 ft elev drop. Drink plenty of fluids

Drink two liters of water before you begin and use good judgement. Day hikes
    look a lot better at this time of the year. I have more of a problem sleeping in
    the heat then walking in it.

Images

I'm down here in FL as well. My Scout Troop is getting ready for a 55 mile section hike this summer in NC, so we HAVE to hike in the heat. Yesterday, we did 10.1 miles, starting about 0830 or so. My trick is to fill my 64 oz water bottles 2/3 to 3/4 full and freeze them overnight. I top them off with water and I have ice water the rest of the day. For my Scouts, I set up a water drop 2/3 of the way through the hike and make sure they are drinking. Using Gatorade G2 or Propel to add to the water at lunch seems to help, as well.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I really don't like anything about hot humid weather. When the notion of a future thruhike enters my brain, the biggest "con" is having to hike in hot weather unless I started a SOBO in August.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    On a day like today you could find a rock shelter or cave with a nice cool breeze blowing and just stay there.
    yea, sure, there's plenty of caves along the AT.

Panzer

Images

Default Heat

The heat during my thru-hike didnt bother me a bit. Most of the time your in the shade. Walking up a steep exposed rocky hillside was hot but didnt bother me. The bugs did bother me but I just dealt with them. I started my thu-hike in May to miss the cold weather at the beginning of the hike.

Images

I wouldn't think the temps up on the trail would be nearly as high as those down below. I have only been on the AT in spring and fall so perhaps I am wrong. My family and I did take a trip out to Kentucky's Red River Gorge two weeks ago for what was supposed to be an overnighter. Well, we hiked to one arch and then at about 3 miles out we decided that it was just too dang hot. We turned back and eventually headed home. Like someone else said, for me it is even more of a problem trying to sleep outside in this heat than it is too walk in it. Just my two cents ...

Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    yea, sure, there's plenty of caves along the AT.

Panzer
    No but there certainly are in KY from where Edie hails. All you need to do is get close to a cave entrance and feel the coolness. I've hiked in different parts of Daniel Boone National Forest and enjoyed the massive and impressive "rock shelters." There are also large natural arches and bridges similar to what you find out West. You ought to see them some time - there's nothing like them on the AT that I can remember.

WB may be an AT site but the OP starting this thread was not limiting discussion to the AT.

Images

Cookerhiker is quite correct. There are quite a bit of caves & rock shelters in KY. The place I mentioned earlier, Red River Gorge, has the highest number of natural rock arches & formations in the country outside of Utah. Not to mention the gorge itself. It is located in the Daniel Boone National Forest in Eastern Kentucky. I know it is not the AT but it is well worth visiting.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

To beat the heat .... Get up early. Start hiking early and take advantage of the morning coolness. Hike until around noon or so nearing peak temperatures. Take a several hour siesta in the shade near a stream during the hottest part of the day. Resume hiking later in the afternoon. The temperatures start to drop then. Drink lots of water. Keep your salt and electrolyte intake up. Avoid heat exhaustion and hyponatremia. Your body will get accustomed to the heat.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++