WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Grayson Highlands to Pearisburg

Hiking this section starting in a week, anything I should know or any advice? Any good things you can remember?

Thanks

Jorge

Don't take any apples or carrots with you because you're not supposed to feed the horses.

Default beautiful sight

After I left the Mt. Rogers Recreational Area northbound, as I recall the trail levelled out some before it started uphill again to Chestnut Knob Shelter (a previous fire warden's cabin). Climbing up through the meadow approaching the shelter, I stopped to rest, and looked back at a spectacular view of Burkes Garden and mountains to the south that I had crossed in the days and weeks before. Supposedly nicknamed God's Thumbprint, it was one of the locations the Vanderbilt's considered for the site of the Biltmore House. Even though I was very tired climbing up the mountain while recovering from bronchitis, I was awestruck by this sight.

Hiked most of this in winter of '05 except for Rt. 42 over Chestnut Knob to Bland when the snow was too deep - did that stretch in Spring. Lots of rhododendron & mountain laurel, nice views from the open field where Chestnut Knob shelter sits, rocky stretches over Garden Mountain, had trouble finding water source at Jenny Knob Shelter. I'm sure you'll enjoy the hike except for the heat at the lower elevations.

Chestnut Knob shelter struck me as being mouse-infested so you may want to avoid staying there.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just did this in late April. Liked Woods Hole hostel very much. Not a bad section to hike.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Appreciate it guys, Im heading out thursday and I can't wait! keep em' coming, deffinately looking to take my time in this section to make sure I get to see all the beautiful vistas.
    George E. Bailey
    "Jorge of The Jungle"

Sophomore - Criminology
    North Carolina State University
    Delta Upsilon Fraternity

[email protected]

++ New Posts ++