WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Pinkham Notch to Katahdin

We will be section hiking from Pinkham Notch to Katahdin on the Appalachian Trail starting in July. This is the plan I was given. We will carry 7 days worth of food from Gorham and resupply in Rangley.
    I have not hiked this area before. Does this plan into Monson look feasable. Both of us are in our senior years. Any comments from those who have hiked this section would be appreciated.

Day 1 7-17 Sat Pinkham Notch – Carter Notch (reservations) 5.5 Miles
    Day 2 7-18 Sun Carter Notch - GORHAM 15 Miles
    Day 3 7-19 Mon Gorman - Gentian Pond CAMP & Shelter 12 Miles
    Day 4 7-20 Tues Gentian Pond Camp - Full Goose 10 Miles
    Day 5 7-21 Wed Full Goose – Baldpate 13 Miles
    Day 6 7-22 Thurs Baldpate – Hall Mountain 13 Miles
    Day 7 7-23 Fri Hall Mountain – Bemis Mountain 13 Miles
    Day 8 7-24 Sat Bemis Mountain – Sabbath 8 Miles
    Day 9 7-25 Sun Sabbath - RANGELEY (RESUPPLY at Post office) 10 Miles
    Day 10 7-26 Mon ZERO day 0 Miles
    Day 11 7-27 Tues Rangeley – Poplar Ridge 10 Miles
    Day 12 7-28 Wed Poplar Ridge – Spaulding Mountain 8 Miles
    Day 13 7-29 Thurs Spaulding Mtn – Cranberry Stream Camp 15 Miles
    Day 14 7-30 Fri Cranberry Stream Camp – Little Bigelow 13 Miles
    Day 15 7-31 Sat Little Bigelow – Pierce Pond 16.5 Miles
    Day 16 8-1 Sun Pierce Pond – Caratunk 3 Miles (RESUPPLY at Post office)
    Day 17 8-2 Mon Caratunk - Bald Mountain Brook 15 Miles
    Day 18 8-3 Tues Bald Mountain Brook – Horseshoe Canyon 13 Miles
    Day 19 8-4 Wed Horseshoe Canyon – MONSON 9 Miles

For my part, I think it's a bit ambitious but I hesitate to second guess your conditioning. I hiked Gorham to Katahdin in '05 as part of my final section hiking to finish the AT. Earlier in the year, I had hiked several hundred miles in SW Virginia, NC & TN as well as NY and MA. During those hikes, I had no problem knocking off 15, 17, 18 mile days over mountainous terrain so I thought I was primed and in good shape when I started at Gorham in mid-August. But I struggled the first week - 11 miles was a good day!

To single out one day in particular - day 5, Ful Goose to Baldpate will be very challenging - Fulling Mountain at the start is just an easy warmup. You then traverse Mahoosuc Notch, Mahoosuc Arm, Old Speck, and the ascent to Bald Pate Shelter. If it's wet, it's doubly difficult.

Again, I'm not saying that'll be the case for you but it was for me. Don't underestimate the difficulty of Maine.

Oh and one more thing - you're hiking in mosquito season and you're planning to stay in shelters? Bring a tent. Better yet, can you shift your start date by 2 weeks forward?

You may be better off doing Gorham to Andover to Stratton to Monson. . . . just to break it up a little more. . . and they're all nice little towns to stop in. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Bug View Post
    We will be section hiking from Pinkham Notch to Katahdin on the Appalachian Trail starting in July. This is the plan I was given. We will carry 7 days worth of food from Gorham and resupply in Rangley.
    I have not hiked this area before. Does this plan into Monson look feasable. Both of us are in our senior years. Any comments from those who have hiked this section would be appreciated.

you will not keep to that itinerary. trust me

Only you know what you are capable of. But some comments based on some assumptions. and understand I'm being judgmental here and I could be wrong: 1) you are senior's, which to me translates into lower miles per day(m/d) 2) assuming you will start a hike like most other hikers, not in hiking shape, to me it translates into lower m/d 3) your party is hauling 8 days? of trail food out of Pinkham Notch, you don't say how much your total pack weighs, but a heavier haul often translates into lower m/d 4) some good sized elevation changes in the form of climbs exists on the AT in Maine, which for hikers translates into lower m/d( I don't have the elev profiles in front of me for your section, but just from memory I know you will have some slower going and some climbs on some days). I see you take much of that into account in your itinerary.

I'm going to totally agree with CookerHiker in that quite a few hikers under estimate the difficulty of hiking the AT in Maine. Don't take what I'm saying as being offensive, but you are not in the last state of a NOBO AT thru-hike and therefore probably not in hiker shape and certainly not in thru-hiker shape.

I would keep all those pts in mind if I was designing an itinerary for your section hike.

As far as the itinerary: I understand the short day and shorter mileage on Day 1(climb out of Pinknam Notch, late start, getting used to the feel of the trail and backpacking again, etc. On Day 2 I would be ready to hike early bright eyed and bushytailed for the 15 mile day and climb out of Carter Notch Camp. Going to be quite a different day on Day 2 going from the previous 5.5 mile day to a 15 mile day. If I remember correctly there is a long downhill going into Gorham though and it's rather flat for some miles(just from memory, I could be wrong though). My next concern is from Day 12 to Day 13 where you increase your m/d from 8 to 15. Although my concern may not be totally warranted because I think, again from memory(I don't have the elev profile in front of me), that this is largely downhill on Day 13. Though I think there are a couple of bumps in there too on Day13. Day 15 is your biggest planned m/d over Little Bigelow at 16.5 miles. Get an early start so you can enjoy the view and do those miles. Actually. unless you have some secret connection at the PO in Caratunk or the PO is open on SUN in Caratunk, I don't think you are resupplying on Day 16 at the PO. It's a Sunday. PO is closed. You are picking up your resupply on Day 17, a MON, at the PO, which also is a scheduled 15 mile day for you. Translates into a later start in the day. Personally, I'm a little fuzzy with the itinerary and the m/d on Days 15, 16, and 17. You might consider doing a shorter day On Day 15, and doing a longer day on Day 16, and don't beat yourself up trying to stick to the 15 mile day on Day 17. You probably have a little flexibility getting into Monson a little later in the day on the last day of your trip if you stick to the planned schedule for Day 18.

Have a great hike. Maine is beautiful!

A few more comments:

• Maine is beautiful - I hope the pressure to meet your schedule doesn't prevent you from enjoying the lakes, views, foliage, wildlife - everything that makes Maine so picturesque.
    • Again drawing on my experience, the back end 4 days are realistic for 2 reasons (1) the trail (finally) becomes easier and (2) you're in good hiking shape after the first part. So once you get to Pierce Pond, you should have a good idea when you'll reach Monson.
    • Day 14 - Cranberry campsite to Little Bigalow is another b'buster. IMO and experience, the toughest part isn't the ascents and descents over the Bigalows themselves but the end-of-the-day descent down Avery Peak. It's a knee-killer.
    • Day 8 - Bemis LT to Sabbath Day Pond is - after a tough descent down Bemis which almost caused me to quit because of slipping constnatly on wet rocks - relatively easy.
    • Day 17 - Caratunk to Bald Mountain Brook - I hiked this stretch in one day so I'm sure you can too. One experience I had was on the ascent up Pleasant Pond Mountain, I pulled a muscle in my ribcage just from stepping up to the next rock. It's "only" an 1,100' ascent but very steep.
    That's all for now. Hope everything works for you.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Trail is very tough in these sections. Esp coming fresh on the trail and with your age. Cannot do this, IMO. And NO WAY would I ever carry seven days of food in this section. And need more time off.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Thanks for the information. I am in total agreement with what you guys are saying.

don't miss the breakfast at tim harrison's next to pierce pond!!

Images

Default Revised Plan Pinkham Notch to Katahdin

Thanks for all the imput.
    I was asked to come up with an alternate plan. Please look it over and comment if you think this plan is more feasable. This plan would give us 1 more resupply and another motel night. Toward the end the trail seems to level out and I think we could pick up some miles on that end.
    I also heard from one younger WBer who stated that "You're gonna have a tough day on Day 2. Lots of ups and downs and a steep descent also. We actually camped about 3 miles outside of Gorham at a stream and then had a nearo day in town."

Appalachian Trail 2010 July Schedule (REVISED)

* Motel (if possible we need to make it to town as one member of our party is being picked up by a friend and our resupply package is in the car.
    4 Days
    Day 5 7-21 Wed Full Goose – Speck Pond 5.1 Miles
    (Could continue down to brook at (1910.4) 8.6 Miles
    Day 6 7-22 Thurs Speck Pond – Frye Notch 10.4 Miles
    3 Days
    Day 7 7-23 Fri Frye Notch – *RESUPPLY in Andover – continue to Hall Mountain 10.5 Miles
    * Post Office, 6 Church ST, Andover ME 04216-9998 (E8) M–F 8:30–1:30 & 2–4:30, Sa 8:30–11:30 207-392-4571
    Day 8 7-24 Sat Hall Mountain – Bemis Mountain – 12.8 Miles
    Day 9 7-25 Sun Bemis Mountain – Sabbath – 8.3 Miles
    (Could continue down to Little Swift River Pond Campsite at (1953.5) 12.9 Miles
    Day 10 7-26 Mon Sabbath - Rangeley *RESUPPLY 10 Miles
    *Post Office, Motel, Laundry
    3 Days
    Day 11 7-27 Tues Rangeley – Poplar Ridge 10.7 Miles
    Day 13 7-29 Thurs Spaulding Mtn – *Stratton 13.5 Miles
    * Motel *RESUPPLY
    3 Days
    Day 14 7-30 Fri Stratton – Safford Notch Campsite (0.3E) 10.4 Miles
    Day 15 7-31 Sat Safford Notch Campsite – West Carry Pond 12.2 Miles
    Day 16 8-1 Sun West Carry Pond –Caratunk 14 Miles (cross ferry between 2-4 PM)
    * Motel, Laundry
    Post Office, Caratunk ME 04925 (E0.3) M–F 7:30–11:30 & 12–3:45, Sa 7:30–11:15
    3 Days
    Day 17 8-2 Mon Caratunk *RESUPPLY – Then on to Bald Mountain Brook 15 Miles
    Day 20 8-5 Thurs MONSON, Meet Lindley and Andy
    Day 21 8-6 Fri MONSON – Zero Day 0 Miles

Day 19 8-4 Wed Horseshoe Canyon – MONSON 9 Miles[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the imput.

I was asked to come up with an alternate plan. Please look it over and comment if you think this plan is more feasable. This plan would give us 1 more resupply and another motel night. Toward the end the trail seems to level out and I think we could pick up some miles on that end.
    * Motel (if possible we need to make it to town as one member of our party is being picked up by a friend and our resupply package is in the car.
    Day 8 7-24 Sat Hall Mountain – Bemis Mountain – 12.8 Miles
    [/QUOTE]

IMO your new plan is much more realistic. I believe your most challenging days re mileage are the 2 I've highlighted above. I haven't hiked the Carters in 20 years but 15 miles starting with a steep ascent up Carter Dome is not easy. And your Day 8 trek includes 2 very steep ascents: Moody Mountain and Old Blue.

I'm not saying to revise your plan again but make sure you get an early start every day, especially those 2. Good luck! Hope everything works.

A comment on the first two days. They both have very steep ascents first thing in the morning. Its real easy to establish a fast pace too early and get worn out too quickly. The ridgewalk after climbing wildcat E, is relatively easy so take you time coming up out of Pinkham and dont worry if your pace is too slow. The first couple of miles after you leave Lost Pond is sort of infamous in the area for beating up hikers in poor condition, fortunately there are some great little outlook ledges well spaced along the way with good views, take advantage of them for breaks and you should be fine.

The hike from Carter to Gorham can be a long day for some folks. Depending upon your view of blue blazing (along a prior section of the AT), if its a choice between calling you trip off or skipping a short section, the hike down to Gorham via the Carter Moriah trail does save a about 2 hours plus having to hitch into town.

Wise choice on doing full goose to speck pond rather than pushing to Baldpate. Speck Pond is a special place that is worth staying the night. Baldpate shelter is nice but nothing special.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'm hoping to cover Pinkham Notch to Rangeley this Fall, so I've been following this thread with interest.

While Day 2 is a lengthy day, I do think that it can be done, even by older hikers. A lot of thru-hikers slack from Pinkham to Gorham, but of course they're in shape by then. I've heard that the long descent down to Gorham is pretty reasonable. Worst case, you bring a headlamp and finish up after sunset.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

My hiking partner (who is 63) and I will be hiking from Rutland, VT to Andover in July as well and will probably be a couple of days behind you. I'm not even going to tell you our itinerary because it is a lot more miles.

However, based on my only other Maine hiking experience I will re-affirm what others have said that it will take longer than you think. The mud, tree roots, etc just wear you down. This is coming from a guy that likes to knock out 20 - 25 mile days. 15 miles in Maine is a tough day.

Your revised plan is a lot better from a re-supply standpoint. Enjoy.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Just curious, did any of you do any slack packing through this section?

Just curious, did any of you do any slack packing through this section?
    You can slack pack almost all of Maine if you want to pay the price. But it can be worth it, as it does make it a lot easier for us older hikers with worn out knees.

The folks at Pine Elise B+B will shuttle you back and forth to trail heads from Grafton Notch to Rangely. Gull Pond Lodge in Rangely will shuttle you back and forth the next couple of sections. You can even slack pack the 100 mile wilderness, but that really gets expensive.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++