WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Rei branded gear.

is it good stuff?

Mostly yes, and a good value. Beware a lack of tall sizes and of specialty items, like tarp tents.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Its hit or miss depending on the item. I worked there for a few years and wasn't impressed with the gear I did try out.

i bought rei back in 1996. that was the last time. out of around 6 things that i bought (all clothes), only one thing held up. a pair of shorts. i still have them. with that kind of percentage, i won't be buying anymore of their stuff. hopefully they have gotten better in the last 14 years, but i'm not betting my money on it.

I buy stuff at REI. I also buy other stuff that REI doesn't sell. What I like about REI is that if you are a member, you get a lifetime warranty. Return stuff when it wears out or breaks. I wish that they carried ULA products, though.

Garlic
    Images

It's been OK gear in my experience, but I don't own any of it right now. They're still mostly mainstream and I've moved to the ultralight fringe. As said above, they don't really cater to the light-packing thru hiker. Look at their advertising--yuppie couples and families. That's fine--it's where the money is. REI stands for two things: 1) "Really Expensive Inside", and 2) "Return Every Item", which is the only reason I ever go there.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

One of the best things about rei is that they still have a no questions return policy for everyhing they sell. That is probably one reason that you will not find cutting edge gear on their shelves though.

Their house brand gear tends to be on the durable and heavy side but is a very good value for beginning backpackers and campers. Wait for sales and take advantage of member benefits and the deals are even sweeter.

I realized as I was thinking of how to answer you that I have been a co-op member many more years than you have been alive--a sobering thought for sure. REI is one of the brands that still exists while many others are long ago out of business. That tells me that there is good value to be found in their products for many people.

You will probably find that as you gain some experience, you will be willing to spend more money on gear that is lighter but more fragile because you have learned how to take care of it. Until then, REI gear will be a good choice and good value.

I have the REI Lite Core 1.5 and I like it. It has held up well, and I like it better than my Thermarest Prolite 4 (even though they are essentially the same pad). It is well made and came with features the Prolite didn't, like a stuff sack, repair kit, and even silicone circles on the pad to help hold the bag in place, all for just a few bucks cheaper than the Prolite. Plus I have the lifetime warranty.

I have also recently purchased the REI Kingdom 4 tent. It appears to be well constructed and overall a good quality tent. I have only used it 2 nights so far, and plan on using it 2 more nights for the weekend of the 4th.

I have been happy with the REI gear so far. I have bought a lot of other name brand stuff from REI as well, and of course you cannot hold REI accountable for those items. My problem with that though is that sometimes REI list specs that are not in line with the actual manufacturers listings. I recently bought a sleeping bag that REI was listing at 31 oz, and on the manufacturers site it was listed at 34 oz. When I confronted REI about this they said that the specs are an average weight. So I would check around and not rely on REI's specs. (The bag is still listed wrong on the site.)

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I concur that they have some good stuff, although rarely ultralight, and some so-so stuff. I've been very satisfied with my daughter's REI UL Flash pack and I tend to fill in my food and clothing list with REI items. I've been less impressed with some of their clothing. I purchased a NeoAir from them primarily for their return policy. I've been a member since 1974, although I rarely purchase more than $100 a year from them anymore.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh I dunno - I have quite a bit of REI branded stuff and I am quite happy.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

We have just a few REI items but have been quite happy with them. One in particular is my 12 year old son's youth backpack. You guys can laugh, but I am VERY pleased with it and I feel it is a superb piece of equipment and a great value .... my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post

I realized as I was thinking of how to answer you that I have been a co-op member many more years than you have been alive--a sobering thought for sure.
    Im one of those young people that listen to older people and their experiences

Images

Here is something I find odd.
    When I was in the market for a good daypack, I looked at what they had in the store and online. Most of their torso straps aren't adjustable.
    I would never get a pack that you couldn't adjust. Granted thats the only product of theirs I looked at so maybe other things are more adjustable.

Images

REI Sahara pants are excellent.

I also have and like the REI Half Dome tent. It isn't best for very light weight pursuits. Otherwise, it is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwind View Post
    Im one of those young people that listen to older people and their experiences
    Probably the last one.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

REI markets generally well-made, servicable merchandise with a nod to fashion in most of their clothing and a preference to durability over light weight in their packs, sleeping bags, and tents. They aren't cutting edge, but they offer a satisfaction guarantee policy which can't be beat. That is likely the reason that they aren't cutting edge. Marketing to a broad audience means having to be "safe" with designs.
    Like any gear you buy, you should try it before you buy it, but if there are no stores close to you, order the item and try it in your backyard. Keep it clean, and if it doesn't meet your expectations send it back.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    REI Sahara pants are excellent.

I also have and like the REI Half Dome tent. It isn't best for very light weight pursuits. Otherwise, it is quite good.
    Ditto on both.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

If I was to go the Ultralight path, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Highwind View Post
    If I was to go the Ultralight path, any suggestions?
    Ultralight
    Packs - Zpack, Mountain Laurel Designs, ULA, Gossamer Gear
    Tents - Six Moon Designs, Tarptent, Lightheart Gear
    Sleeping bags - Western Mountaineering, Nunatak, Montbell, Feathered Friends
    Hammocks - Warbonnet, Hennessy, lots more.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Here's a good general source with a forum of its own:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ght/index.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++