WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Chestnut Knob to Pearisburg (NOBO)

Hey guys, I just got back from my last hike from Mount Roger's to Chestnut Knob in SW Virginia. I was going all the way to Pearisburg but had to get off the trail for certain matters. Anyway, I'm looking to get back on the trail at VA 623 where it crosses the AT and hike those last 50 or so miles into Pearisburg over 5 or so days. I'll be back on it within the next week, I'll post again when I leave. I was wondering if any of you will be in the area.

Thanks,
    Jorge
    George E. Bailey
    "Jorge of The Jungle"

Sophomore - Criminology
    North Carolina State University
    Delta Upsilon Fraternity

[email protected]

Images

We had planned to do that same hike this weekend but the temps look a little too high. It looks like we may get a break though (mid-80's)

Images

Make sure you stock up on water when you can. Plenty of dry stretches in that area. I don't recall any water between Helvey's Mill and Jenny's Knob. There wasn't much more than a puddle at Jenny's Knob. There is a small stream below Jenny's Knob before the next road crossing and then not much water until you get to Kimberling(sp) Creek near Trents Store. (and that is slow moving, must be a dam just below the suspension bridge.)

I don't recall any water Wapiti Shelter all the way to Pearisburg but for the spring at Doc's Knob. There is a Spring near Angel's Rest, forgot about that one.

Have a great trip and stay hydrated. If you have the time to keep going North, the Rice Field Shelter is located on a lovely bald.

James

Images

There are lots of little creeks in the Walnut Flats area but they may be dry. There was a pond at the old Wapiti shelter so I assume there is a water source. There is a spring at Big Horse Gap somewhere that makes the road slippery.

++ New Posts ++