WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Default Nesuntabunt Mt. in the Wilderness

I thought the AT went to the top of the mountain, but the map in the guide book shows it passing about 100 - 150 ft from the top. Which is correct? Is there a side trail to the top?
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

There is a very short side trail going to the top and the outlook. This is one of my favorite spots on the trail and I've stayed here a few times. The sunsets and sunrises with Katahdin in front of you can be fantastic!

I had a brain lock on top of Nesuntabunt - I took a side trail on or near the top, turned around, came back, and walked the wrong way back down the mountain - the same way I had come up.

Views from Nesuntabunt are gorgeous!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I had a brain lock on top of Nesuntabunt - I took a side trail on or near the top, turned around, came back, and walked the wrong way back down the mountain - the same way I had come up.

Views from Nesuntabunt are gorgeous!
    I've done the same thing. When I was there I turned around from the gorgeous view and took the trail I was just on. The trails north and south are right beside each other and unmarked.

Helluva view though.

Images

A little off topic but I have to add this.. The ridge in the middle ground of Cooker Hiker's picture holds several miles of hardly used and really beautiful hiking trails that are called the Debsconeag Highlands. They are shaped like a figure eight and can be accessed from the north or south and there is plenty of solitude. A lot of the trails show very little wear and pass several small ponds.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

That mountain is pretty sweet, I loved the view of Katahdin up there.

Default Nesubatant mountain

The trail goes right by a fabulous viewpoint of Katahdin. If I recall correctly, the top is a bit higher but has no view. Who cares if you are a summit when there's no view. It's the view of Katahdin that matters. Worth a stop there!

Any idea what the red blazes on Mt Nesuntabunt mean? I started out following the white blazes then began to see red/orange blazes, then white again. I didn't see any other way the traIL could have gone.
    "Sea Eagle"

Default Larger photo of the view from Nesuntabunt

Last edited by Cookerhiker; 09-02-2012 at 15:52.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

best echo i've ever heard was from the trail just south of the summit where the trail pops out of the woods near the edge of a drop.
    i ran into a person who told me they were going to be doing trail work on the other side of the lake about the time i was passing through, so when i got there i shouted " hey trail crew" as loud as i could and low and behold it echoed 5 times very clearly.

The map is correct. There is a short side trail of 100 feet or so to the outlook. For all practical purposes, you are at the "summit" but there is no view there and you need to take the side trail to the open ledges. As noted, the views are outstanding and this is definitely a place you will want to take a break and enjoy the quiet. There is a register box at the trail junction, so this is a good place to drop the pack, grab your canteen and some lunch and behold the beauty of Katahdin and Nahmakanta Lake below.

Images

The red blazes are likely property line markers that pre date any corridor work/acquisitions-whether they are still valid I do not know.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Gorgeous picture! Now I KNOW I need to go there!

++ New Posts ++