WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Did hiking the trail heal you of your ailments?

I realize the body goes thru alot of adjusting and pain, but in the long run, did you feel you are stronger and healthier after the trip? Im thinking of those of us who are older and dealing with issues from bad lifestyles, et.al

the trail will get you in better shape,there is no doubt about that. My biggest thing was getting in shape mentally. It cured me of those ailments.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

My doctor has recommended that I exercise an hour a day to help with blood pressure and glucose issues. Imagine the benefits of extrapolating that one hour a day to 10 or so hours a day while carrying 30 or so pounds. After 6 months of that you've got to be better!

Images

If you make it all the way from Springer to Katahdan you should be stronger and heather. if not you would not have made all the way.

Panzer

Sure you feel stronger and healthier but there's still aches and pain. You continue on. I discovered most pain caused by overuse injuries only lasted about 7 days. Hike on and if you can gut it out after that you're home free.

Sort of reminded me of what Ann Trason, the famous ultra-marathoner said once-

"It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse".

Garlic
    Images

I started getting a case of sciatica, which nearly disabled my dad, but it completely went away when I started long distance hiking in 2004 and hasn't returned. The doc said the best treatment was walking and he was right.

Other than that, I don't think thru hikes have improved my health. If anything, the accumulated stresses have probably done long-term damage though it hasn't shown up yet. A couple of hikers have blamed cardiac problems on the crappy food and stress of a hike. Still, I wouldn't trade those hikes for anything.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    the trail will get you in better shape,there is no doubt about that. My biggest thing was getting in shape mentally. It cured me of those ailments.
    getting in shape mentally is what i'm anticipating. pushing myself past what i "feel" i can do or "want" to do when it gets hard. of course not being dumb! but am def wanting the trail to help cure those mental "ailments".

Does anyone know if knee problems go away? Tending towards chondromalacia or runner's knee here which I have-- it involves a sometimes sharp pain (not really hurt, just a sensation) or a dull ache. It's nothing super hurtful, but could hiking strengthen one up to get better?

If you hike with a "wrong" gait or your footwear makes you move in a different way than your joints are supposed to or your pack weighs too much/loads the weight on you incorrectly, the cumulative stress and damage could very well exacerbate any preexisting issues you have.

If you hike with a biomechanically "correct" walking gait and load your packweight properly onto the frame of your body, I would expect that yes, your body's kinks will work themselves out.

Images

Long distance hiking certainly can put you in great shape and eliminate certain poor physical / health conditions. However, once you finish the trail, it is very difficult to ramp down the thru hiker appetite and it is very easy to put back on a lot of weight in a relatively short time (speaking from experience). I went from mountains to flat plus I went straight to my Mother's over-abundant southern country cooking.

Now that I have sorted out my job / relocation situation and now live close to big mountains (and away from mama's cooking), I will focus on a trail / gym / nutrition balance regimen to establish a healthy long term equilibrium.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I agree about the appetite being hard to get a grip on after a long hike.

I finished weighing 7 lbs heavier than when I started and I've put on a couple pounds since then as well.

Part of it is that I don't have a goal that I'm working towards. Prior to my hike I spent 4 months preparing - running, working out at the gym, etc.

Of course I've only been back for 10 days so I guess I've earned some rest - I don't know about anyone else but 800 miles in 40 days with only 3 rest days that took me through the Whites and Maine really put some stress on my body and frankly, I don't really feel like running 15-20 miles right now...

I'm not too worried about getting *too* out of shape - I won't let that happen. I consider this period "recovery mode".

Images

I ened my long hike feeling better physically than I had since I was very young. Maybe better than that, even. However, I hiked conservatively, and let my strength build slowly. I suffered quite a few injuries along the way, especially to my knees. I just slowed down and kept hiking, and my knees healed themselves while I hiked. I used a variety of knee braces in the immediate aftermath of each injury.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I always feel much better physically and mentally after a thru-hike, although the mental aspect of taking that first step is a wonderful feeling.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    A couple of hikers have blamed cardiac problems on the crappy food and stress of a hike. Still, I wouldn't trade those hikes for anything.
    I agree...poor nutrition takes a heavy toll during a thruhike. For all the gear research most hikers spend untold hours, if they would give the same amount of time to nutrition, they would be far better off during and after their hike.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Poor nutrition, poor hygiene, and poor sleep definitely stress the body, no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I agree...poor nutrition takes a heavy toll during a thruhike. For all the gear research most hikers spend untold hours, if they would give the same amount of time to nutrition, they would be far better off during and after their hike.
    Thats an excellent point. You don't "have" to eat crappy food when hiking, although many hikers certainly do so.

Quote Originally Posted by ncmtns View Post
    I realize the body goes thru alot of adjusting and pain, but in the long run, did you feel you are stronger and healthier after the trip? Im thinking of those of us who are older and dealing with issues from bad lifestyles, et.al
    Absolutely. My physical shape was in decline before my hike, I think just from boredom of doing the same exercise for years -- I was starting to look like the typical fat cyclist, good thing I don't wear lycra

I did the hike to reset my body and the way I approach physical fitness. It worked, but it's something that you got to work at after the hike or it'll all be for nothing.

As for the nutrition thing, I dehydrated much of my stuff and made my own granola, so I did not eat the typical hiker-diet of candybars...that can not be good for you.

Default Diners, Dives, and Drive-Ins?

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    ....... You don't "have" to eat crappy food when hiking.....
    Yeah but that's like going to the circus and not eating cotton candy......

Quote Originally Posted by ncmtns View Post

YES!

Although this applies to most who hit the trail on a LONG hike, especially if older and WAY out of shape start SLOWER and work into your hike. Forget about doing all the BIG miles, starting, and finishing pts most brag about! Start by BEFORE hitting the trail having someone knowledgable go through your pack to eliminate reduntant and unnecessary wt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Absolutely agree with this! A hike is no excuse for eating junk food! A thru-hike DOES NOT have to equate with poor nutrition!!! Just because your body will require more calories on a thru-hike that is no excuse for filling your face with large amounts of nutritionally poor calories!

I find with the trailfood prep I do that I eat nearly as well on the trail as I do when not hiking!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++