WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default List of fatal bear attacks in North America

I've been spending time updating the Wikipedia article on Fatal bear attacks in North America. In addition to copyediting, I'm still working on finding all documented fatalities. I've been reading Stephen Herraro's Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance which is an excellent book.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone can point me in the direction of another book or source where I can get more fatalities.

Also I happened upon this http://www.tennesseehistory.com/archive/GSMNPbear.html - there was a lawsuit by the family of the woman from Cosby who got mauled in the Smokys. Does anyone know what was the result of that?

If anyone needs help updating any hiking info in Wikipedia, let me know. Oh, and if you're looking for a great potential trivia question, look where the two fatal polar bear attacks in the 80s occurred...

Thanks.
    Last edited by wilconow; 07-14-2010 at 13:48.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wilconow View Post
    Also I happened upon this http://www.tennesseehistory.com/archive/GSMNPbear.html - there was a lawsuit by the family of the woman from Cosby who got mauled in the Smokys. Does anyone know what was the result of that?
    Hopefully it was tossed out.

There is a bear sneaking up on you at this very moment.

Stir Fry

Bee's kill more people in the US each year, then Bears have killed in recorded histroy.

Journal Entries
    Images

Do you think the incidence of bear attacks more to do with increased human traffic/encroachment or better documentation? Interesting work. I had a mother and cub come right down next to my hammock at slaughter gap campsite. She wasn't rummaging only passing through. . . . I was mortified to only have a cold steel 9 inch spike on me. I will never go out again unarmed. I hate to be paranoid but I will not be the stat that you are compiling on wiki.
    alifelongpursuit.blogspot.com

I think it is a combination of 3 or 4 things.
    1. More encroachment into bear habitat.
    2. More human food being brought into the foods.
    3. People that go into the woods today tend to be more feeble, less capable.
    4. What hunting there is of bears tends to be less agressive, more controlled.

I am not suggesting we should necessarily be more agressive towards bears.
    Just saying if we are too passive, bears will likely adapt and learn to eat us.

Part of the issue in Ontario is an increased black bear population density, around Algonkian Provincial Park. Increased wolf population plays a role also. The bears need to be more agressive to deal wth the wolves and I think that carries over.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wilconow View Post

If anyone needs help updating any hiking info in Wikipedia, let me know. Oh, and if you're looking for a great potential trivia question, look where the two fatal polar bear attacks in the 80s occurred...

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Hopefully it was tossed out.
    Read about Harry Walker in the attached file, about 3rd para down

buzzamania- Thanks for the feedback. I'm off to the Canadian Rockies in September, so I know how you feel

Quote Originally Posted by traftonm View Post
    Bee's kill more people in the US each year, then Bears have killed in recorded histroy.
    That's true but bears are just sooo much more fun to be afraid of.

When I looked this over a couple of thoughts:

1 - Other than the ignorant stupid acts like feeding by hand, I wonder what kind of preventive measures were taken by those attacked at campsites or those who stumbled upon feeding bears. I've been told (at least in the West and Alaska) to cook, hike, then camp, and to frequently call out to make my presence known.

2 - I've was also told by the PR's in Denali that the browns are reluctant to attack humans in packs, so we were advised to group up (4-6 people) if possible.

I've seen more black bears hiking in the East, and usually only their butt scampering away.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sherrill View Post
    When I looked this over a couple of thoughts:

1 - Other than the ignorant stupid acts like feeding by hand, I wonder what kind of preventive measures were taken by those attacked at campsites or those who stumbled upon feeding bears. I've been told (at least in the West and Alaska) to cook, hike, then camp, and to frequently call out to make my presence known.
    Read this about Brigitta Fredenhagen and her camp

Images

Misplaced commas, unnecessary apostrophes, random capitalization, and misspellings kill millions every year.

Please, do your part to prevent these tragic losses.

Mountain Lions kill fewer people in the US each year, then bears, bees or lightning strikes. In part, that's why there's a wiki article on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._North_America

If you want you can start a wiki article on the people killed in the US by bees -- not me though, that's too much work

What if there were as many bears as bees? What if they evolved into "killer bears"?

Is the question mark supposed to go inside the quotation mark?

AK in 2 months...russian river alone.No gun,spray but will hang my food.

But very scared of that 350# blackie on the AT.

Wikipedia is more and more like going to the local bar and asking the regulars for information.

++ New Posts ++